Ordination in one denomination but preaching in another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrittenFromUtopia

Puritan Board Graduate
I have a question about Presbyterian ordination.

My current plans are to finish my BA B.T.S. at SBTS here in Louisville, apprentice at an RPCNA church in Indiana, under the care of their presbytery, and then move to RPTS in Pittsburgh for my M.Div. (the presbytery would be waiving my tuition and fees). I would be ordained by the RPCNA. Is it wrong for me to be ordained as a minister (teaching elder) and then preach or pastor a church of a different Reformed denomination? Just curious about the protocol with all of this, being from an SBC background.

:candle:

Scott,

I think you have misread Gabriel's question. His question is completely different from Matt's article.

Fred,
I disagree. Gabriel asked:

Is it wrong for me to be ordained as a minister (teaching elder) and then preach or pastor a church of a different Reformed denomination?

For instance, going from an assembly which ascribes to the bible, drawn out in the WCF standards, to one which rejects it, i.e. PCUSA, would be wrong.

[Edited on 1-23-2005 by Scott Bushey]

My question is more along the lines of ...

Being ordained in the RPCNA (a WCF-practicing denomination) and then preaching in the PCA, ARPCA, PRC, OPC (all WCF-practicing denominaitions wth very similar beliefs in all respects).

Gabriel,
If I am not mistaken, you would have to transfer your ordination for pastoring; at least that is how I understand it to be in the PCA.

[Edited on 1-23-2005 by Scott Bushey]

I don't believe so. The WCF is the standard. I believe the RPNA would say you are apostate; They hold to the solemn league and covenant.

Just for the record overall, I think a lawfully ordained minister should preach where ever he could in aiding Christians to understand the truth. If you are talking about being "settled" in a denomination, then you have to deal with their ordination process and their BCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back