Ordination of homosexuals in the Roman church

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryCook

Puritan Board Freshman
I read this morning that the new Pope (I just learned that this is the Latin word for "father") is likely to bar homosexuals from the priesthood. I guess that I have to declare my ignorance, but I was not aware that "celibate" homosexuals were not a problem for Rome.

Many are now worried that a witchhunt will follow.

What a mess (and deservedly so).

Larry

If someone has urges, but doesn't act on them, and acknowledges they are sinful--as may be the case with some of these priests--should they be barred from the priesthood or ministry?

Interesting quote I came across concerning Catholic abuses against the Seventh Commandment:

The Popish ecclesiastical laws admit none into sacred orders before they solemnly vow chastity, or, as they interpret it, abstaining from marriage; and it is required of nuns, that they solemnly vow to preserve and persevere unto death in their virginity, or single estate, without any regard unto any unforseen necessity for marriage; and amongst all the dispensations that are granted by the pope, amongst all the indulgences which he makes sale of, to allow grossly moral evils absolutely forbidden by the Lord, no dispensations or indulgences are granted by him for the marriage of such as are under this celibate vow, although they are not able to contain, and although God doth command such to marry. I shall do the Papists no wrong in saying that they account it a greater crime for ecclesiastical person to marry, than for them to commit fornication or sodomy. The learned Chamier doth give several instances of Popish writers to this purpose; namely,

HOSIUS, who doth defend "the sayings of Pighius, as not only true, but pious, that a priest, through the infirmity of the flesh falling into the sin of fornication, doth sin less than if he should marry; and telleth us, that although this assertion seem foul, yet the Catholics account it most honest:" Reprehenditur Pighius qui, non vere magis quam pie, scriptum reliquit, minus peccare sacerdotem, qui ex infirmitate carnis in fornicationem sit prolapsus, quam qui nuptias contraxit. Turpis videtur haec oratio; contra, Catholicis honestissimum. -- HOSIUS, Confessionis capite 56.

COSTERUS, who doth assert that "a priest who doth fornicate or nourish a concubine at home in his house, although he be guilty of great sacrilege, yet he doth more heinously offend if he contract matrimony:" Sacerdos si fornicetur, aut domi concubinam foveat, tametsi gravi sacrilegio se obstringat, gravis tamen peccat, si contrahat matrimonium. -- COSTERUS, De Laetib. Sacerd.

CARDINAL CAMPEGIO, who doth aver, "that for priests to become husbands, is by far a more heinous crime than if they should keep many whores in their houses:" Quod sacerdotes fiant mariti multo esse gravius peccatum, quam si plurimas domi meretrices alant. -- CARDIN. CAMPEG. apud SLEIDANI Commentar. libro quarto.

MATTHIAS AQUENSIS, who doth profess his opinion, that "such who marry after their vow of continency, do offend more than such an one as through human frailty doth deviate" (as he terms it, which, in plain English, is, who through the power of burning lust is unclean) "with a hundred divers persons:" Qui post continentiae votum devovet potestatem corporis cuivis mulieri, magis offendit, quam iste qui humana fragilitate deviaret cum centum diversis personis. -- MATTHIS AQUENSIS.

Our MOLINAEUS telleth us, that by the rules of the Roman church, a sodomist may exercise the priesthood, and by that abominable vice doth not run into irregularity; whereas marriage is judged altogether incompatible with sacred orders:" and he quotes Navarrus, saying, "The crime of sodomy is not comprehended amongst the crimes that bring irregularity:" and giveth several reasons for it. -- DU MOULINS's "Novelty of Popery," book vii. chap. 5.

And no wonder, when John Casa, archbishop of Benevento, and dean of the apostolical chamber, printed a book at Venice in defense of sodomy. Sleidan saith, that "he wrote a sodomitical book, than which nothing more foul could have been thought upon by man; neither did he blush to celebrate with praises that most filthy sin, too much known in Italy and Greece:" Ille quem diximus, archiepiscopus Benevetanus, libellum conscripsit plane cinaedum, et quo nihil foedius excogitari possit; nec enim puduit eum, scelus omnium longe turpissimum, sed per Italiam nimis notum, atque Graeciam, celebrare laudibus. -- SLEIDANI Comment. lib. xi. p. 652. This was that case by whom Francis Spira was seduced to revolt from his profession, the cause of such hideous terrors of conscience afterward, and so miserable an end.

It is evident, then, that the marriage of the clergy, and of all under the celibate vow, is forbidden by the Popish doctrine.

Source: Thomas Vincent, The Popish Doctrine Which Forbiddeth to Marry, is a Devilish and Wicked Doctrine, Puritan Sermons 1659 - 1689, Vol. VI, pp. 341-342

[Edited on 7-2-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Man! It actually shocks me to read Roman Catholics actually write that they prefer sodomy to marriage!

Inventors of evil indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back