Origin of Satan in Isa. & Ezek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
I was wondering what is the consensus in the Reformed community about Satan's fall being described in Ezekiel and Isaiah? I have heard both that it does refer to Satan and others that it does not only the kings of the respective nations.
Could there be a third way, saying they are describing the kings, while alluding to Satan, unlike the first that Satan position that is indwelling the kings (he is to a degree anyway)? In other words, not talking to Satan, but to the king referring to what satan did?

Both Calvin & Gill state that the passage in Isiah does not refer to Satan, but instead to the Babylonian king. On the passage in Ezekiel Gill states it does not refer to Satan. Matthew Henry also sides with Calvin & Gill. Interesting note, in 2 Peter 1:19 Jesus is referred to as Lucifer in the Latin Vulgate version.

Here's the note from the Geneva Bible on Isaiah 14:12,

14:12 1 Thou that thoughtest thyself most glorious, and as it were placed in the heaven: for the morning star that goeth before the sun, is called Lucifer, to whom Nebuchadnezzar is compared.

Last edited:
I personally believe that Is 14 and Ez 28 do refer explicitly to Satan. Especially the latter passage, when it says that it refers to that person being in the Garden of Eden (obviously the king in this passage was not there but Satan certainly was), which is an example of God (I believe) speaking past another person in order to the real power involved.

In the Gospels, Jesus does that to Peter when he said "Get behind me Satan", when Peter tried to prevent Christ from going through with the Cross, so there are places where this speaking through a person happens.

Chris
Interesting note, in 2 Peter 1:19 Jesus is referred to as Lucifer in the Latin Vulgate version.

On a slightly different note, I had wondered whether the references to Christ as "the bright and morning star" were to His taking Lucifer's (now Satan's) place as King of the Angels?

When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? (Job 38:7, KJV)

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.(Rev 22:16)

And I will give him the morning star. (Rev. 2:28)

Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him. (I Peter 3:22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back