OT predictions of the closing of NT canon and covenant cessation of prophecy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.L.Smith

Puritan Board Freshman
Has anybody read The Canon of Scripture A pre-suppositional study by Philip Kayser.
Dr. Kayser says that the Canon closed in AD 70 he focuses on Isaiah chapter 8 and 9. The context points to a window from the birth of Jesus to AD 70. It is in this AD 70 context that Isaiah 8:16 refers to the cessation of inspired revelation.
I have heard a lot of apologetics dealing with cessationism and the closing of the canon but no prophecy to back it up. I have struggled to convince continuationist with scripture to back up my position. Seems that the problem could be the meaning of last days in Acts 2:17. Any thoughts? Or again has anyone read the book? Thanks

Last edited:
Has anybody read The Canon of Scripture A pre-suppositional study by Philip Kayser.
Dr. Kayser says that the Canon closed in AD 70 he focuses on Isaiah chapter 8 and 9. The context points to a window from the birth of Jesus to AD 70. It is in this AD 70 context that Isaiah 8:16 refers to the cessation of inspired revelation.
I have heard a lot of apologetics dealing with cessationism and the closing of the canon but no prophecy to back it up. I have struggled to convince continuationist with scripture to back up my position. Seems that the problem could be the meaning of last days in Acts 2:17. Any thoughts? Or again has anyone read the book? Thanks

I am a former continuationist. I believe the above is a very weak argument. I believe continuing prophecy is wrong for more obvious reasons.

Isaiah 8 could refer to the closing of the canon, but there is no obvious reason why it must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back