OT prophets infallible

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Puritan Board Sophomore
Would you say that the OT prophets were infallible in those words they spoke that were not written in the Canon?

Yes, if they were inspired by God.

John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Jesus was a prophet - were his words true and infallible?

[quote:0849659c26][i:0849659c26]Originally posted by rembrandt[/i:0849659c26]
Would you say that the OT prophets were infallible in those words they spoke that were not written in the Canon? [/quote:0849659c26]
Their words could still be infallible, and just not necessary to pass on to the next generation. They could have just been addressing specific issues in their time.

Excellent point, Puritan Sailor. That is why some arguments for cessationism are specious. They run something like this, "Why do we need anything other than the Bible? Isn't the Bible sufficient?"

The answer is for the same reasons that not all OT prophecy was inscripturated. As you note, "They could have just been addressing specific issues in their time."

The same thing is true in the post-apostolic period, as has been noted by Augustine, Calvin, Gillespie, Luther, et al.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back