OT Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Scibbe

Puritan Board Junior
So, beginning in 2011 I am going to spend a big chunk of time studying the OT. I am looking for some good resources (ie commentaries on books, books about OT theology, videos, pod/vodcasts, etc). I am starting with Genesis so those would be most helpful.

May I ask, How familiar are you already with the content of the Old Testament?

There's a great old story about a master teacher, Louis Agazziz, that makes a great point:

When I sat me down before my tin pan, Agassiz brought me a small fish, placing it before me with the rather stern requirement that I should
study it, but should on no account talk to any one concerning it, nor read anything relating to fishes, until I had his permission so to do.
To my inquiry, 'What shall I do?' he said in effect: 'Find out what you can without damaging the specimen; when I think that you have done the
work I will question you.' In the course of an hour I thought I had compassed that fish; it was rather an unsavory object, giving forth the
stench of old alcohol, then loathsome to me, though in time I came to like it. Many of the scales were loosened so that they fell off. It
appeared to me to be a case for a summary report, which I was anxious to make and get on to the next stage of the business. But Agassiz,
though always within call, concerned himself no further with me that day, nor the next, nor for a week. At first, this neglect was
distressing; but I saw that it was a game, for he was, as I discerned rather than saw, covertly watching me. So I set my wits to work upon
the thing, and in the course of a hundred hours or so thought I had done much--a hundred times as much as seemed possible at the start. I
got interested in finding out how the scales went in series, their shape, the form and placement of the teeth, etc. Finally, I felt full
of the subject, and probably expressed it in my bearing; as for words about it then, there were none from my master except his cheery 'Good
morning.' At length, on the seventh day, came the question, 'Well?' and my disgorge of learning to him as he sat on the edge of my table
puffing his cigar. At the end of the hour's telling, he swung off and away, saying: 'That is not right.' Here I began to think that, after
all, perhaps the rules for scanning Latin verse were not the worst infliction in the world. Moreover, it was clear that he was playing a
game with me to find if I were capable of doing hard, continuous work without the support of a teacher, and this stimulated me to labor. I
went at the task anew, discarded my first notes, and in another week of ten hours a day labor I had results which astonished myself and
satisfied him. Still there was no trace of praise in words or manner.

The story continues, but there is no need to belabor the point. What I'm arguing for is long hard study of the Old Testament text on your own, before plunging into the views of others. Ask questions of the text and search out the answers. Above all, learn submissively and receptively from the Lord, looking obediently to Him in all your studies.

Like Joseph I too am looking to start a deep chunk of the year studying the OT.
Joesph I hope you don't mind me asking, as i feel we are asking the same thing.

What I am looking (possibly Joesph) for is the following:
Reformed Literature that explains the Old testament in relationship to Christ.
Also Literature that does a survey of all the books and explains them in great detail. *Lay-mans details with a bit of scholar work*
What commentaries would you who are educated on the OT recommend?

I agree with Wayne, let me put it this way. Spend the year reading the Old Testament, then, when you are done, read it again!

Thanks guys for your responses to Josephs question...I too am reading the OT. I will read it through and discuss it with my husband before digging into others commentaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back