OUCH! I Just Bit the Baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawrenceU

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm sitting here partaking of a piece of King Cake. It is Fat Tuesday. One of our suppliers gave us one as thanks for all the diesel that we buy. This one is actually good. Normally, they are dry and tasteless things. So, here I am enjoying it along with a cup of coffee and 'Pow!' I bit the baby. I guess that I will become wealthy this year after all. :rolleyes:

King cake? Must be a Louisiana thing(or further south than I come from anyway), I've never heard of it.

But then the whole Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras thing has never been high on my list of interests.

So is King cake any good? If it's like a fruit cake I probably would hate it as I absolutely cannot stand fruit cake.

And I take it the "baby" is a piece of hard candy or something like that, hidden inside the cake, is that right?

King cake? Must be a Louisiana thing(or further south than I come from anyway), I've never heard of it.

But then the whole Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras thing has never been high on my list of interests.

So is King cake any good? If it's like a fruit cake I probably would hate it as I absolutely cannot stand fruit cake.

And I take it the "baby" is a piece of hard candy or something like that, hidden inside the cake, is that right?
NO NO!!!!!! No fruit! Not in a real King Cake!:lol: White cake, white icing, the "baby" depends on the baker, sometimes it is a coin, sometimes a token, and I do think some now use a candy sometimes, thats is "new school".:cool:

King Cake is either really good or really bad. It is really a 'pastry' type of cake, definitely not a fruit cake. This one is excellent! Very moist, tonnes of icing! The icing is usually white with Purple, Green, and Gold icing over that. They are very healthy!

The baby is a little baby, either plastic or ceramic. Folks are split on whether it violates the 2nd commandment. Many times if you buy a commercial King Cake it will have the baby on top of the icing or no baby at all because of our litigious society.

Does Walmart down there sell King cakes with babies in them? That's a lawsuit waiting to happen!

No, they put them on the cakes, if at all. I have a friend who works in Asset Protection. They actually had someone try to steal a couple of King Cakes last night. Pretty hard to get those under a jacket!

This "bit the baby" do you win something, or just brake your touth, I have never heard about this before.

No, they put them on the cakes, if at all. I have a friend who works in Asset Protection. They actually had someone try to steal a couple of King Cakes last night. Pretty hard to get those under a jacket!

Thieves try to take everything. It's wild out there!!

This "bit the baby" do you win something, or just brake your touth, I have never heard about this before.

No, it is just supposed to be good luck. When I was in college a Yankee friend of mine 'bit the baby' and broke a molar. He didn't know to go easy with the grinders. Not so lucky.

Wow, I was so confused when I read the title to this thread. I was thinking, "Why is HE saying 'ouch' when he bit the baby? The baby should be saying 'ouch.'"

I've never heard of this before.

If that had happened in Mexico, you would have to provide tamales for everyone who was eating with you. There they put little white plastic babies in the "rosca".

If I saw a baby in a cake, I would never think it was supposed to be Jesus. Do people actually think that? I've never heard of this, so I'd just think it was a weird baby, but not one that was supposed to be God.

So I guess I could agree with the people who think it violates 2nd commandment if people actually expected the baby in there to be a representation of Christ. But it would not cause me to break the commandment, so I'd eat the cake!

Wow, coming from the Midwest, all this talk of weird cakes and rituals sounds terribly foreign to me.....what country are you all in? The Bayou and Gulf Coast?...where you got strange exotic creatures like Nutria?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back