Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Fentiman

Puritan Board Sophomore
Ought we to give 10% of our income to the Lord via the Church, or tithe?

The modern discussion has been clouded by anti-nomianism on the one hand (that God's moral law does not oblige us) and fundamentalism on the other, with a 'literal' and simplistic hermeneutic of the Bible.

Does the Levitical tithe of 10% directly bind Christians? While the reformers and puritans encouraged generous giving, they largely argued No; the prelates in the Anglican Church argued hard for Yes.

The Introduction on the webpage surveys the Biblical and natural reasons for the dominant viewpoint of reformed theology's classical era and a collection of their writings follows on the page.

The main Church of Scotland and Free Church of Scotland writings on the subject during the 1800's are also included. What is the civil magistrate's involvement in all of this? That also is answered in the Introduction.

For the Latin buffs, there is a Latin section with a handful of articles in it. I hope to provide more of such for future topical webpages.

May we glean light from the old paths and be cheerful givers! Hope this may be helpful to you.

Matthew,

I believe you had requested me to make such a collection of older resources on the subject a while ago. I finally got around to it. You are very welcome!

And if you would like to reprint a book-long work on the subject, I might suggest Increase Mather's work (linked on the page), though I haven't read it all the way through yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back