Outside of worship, if it's not forbiddent, is it permitted?

Outisde of worship, it it's not forbiddn, is it permitted?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayPot

Puritan Board Sophomore
Outside of worshipping God (which is guarded by the regulative principle), are we free to do anything that's not explicitly or implicitly forbidden? e.g., Let's say I'm trying to decide between pursuing two choices. I study the Scripture and don't see any Scripture that would explicitly or implicitly from choosing either one. I get counsel and neither one appears to be more or less wise than the other. Am I free to make my decision based on a personal preference? A specific example might be trying to decide between purchasing one of two homes.

Yes, you would be free. If you have two choices and neither is sinful, neither makes your brother stumble, and both are equally wise decisions, then you are free to choose based on your personal preference.

This many not necessarily make something a simple decision, however, since each aspect that I have outlined above requires the careful consideration of many things, especially if you are making the decision with another person, such as a spouse in the case of a home purchase.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

By the way, I didn't respond to the poll because there need to be qualifications to the question, such as the ones that you and I have indicated above.

The Regulative Principle applies not only to worship, but also to doctrine and polity. We have no right to add human invention in any of these areas, doctrine, polity or worship.

So it's not just a matter of "outside of worship".

But as to your question about choosing between two houses, logic invested with prayer seems the best approach. God gave you a brain--use it to discern the better value and use. Which house can be better used to serve His kingdom?

When you get beyond direct biblical commands, a better stardard than "personal preference" would be "godly wisdom." Your personal tastes, goals and desires will be part of that. But such tastes and desires are shaped by a life that's immersed in all the Scriptures and lived with God.

We cannot simply look in the Bible for rules regarding specific situations and then, if we don't find such a rule, act as if the Bible doesn't matter. The Bible, and especially the gospel story (which we might call a non-rule part of the Bible), shapes who we are in ways that have a profound effect on decisions such as home buying. Our duty (and it is also a joy and privilege) is to live in a way that fits this.

Good post, Jack.:ditto:

After thinking about Jack's post above, I am now thinking that we may never get to the point of making a decision purely based on personal preference. By this I mean that there will always be some aspect of applying Biblical wisdom for which we will never see that things are perfectly equal to the point where all that is left is personal preference.

One really good way I have heard it put is to use "sanctified reasoning". This means that a Christian, having been changed over months, years, and decades, thinks more and more Biblically about everything in their life. As time passes, Biblical principles are more easily identified and applied.

I am only 34, but in my time as a Christian, I have seen that decisions that formerly would have been challenging are now quite simple for me and don't require any serious deliberation - I already know the right and wise thing to do. Of course, now I have new decisions to make that are not easy, but in time, I will grow into those as well, with the Lord's help.

I believe this is actually a no. Because though we have freedom, that doesn't mean we are called to always use our freedom. That being said, God doesn't always permit us to use our freedom, but many times to give it up, whether it's to help a stumbling brother, or our conscience, or whatever the case.

I believe this is actually a no. Because though we have freedom, that doesn't mean we are called to always use our freedom. That being said, God doesn't always permit us to use our freedom, but many times to give it up, whether it's to help a stumbling brother, or our conscience, or whatever the case.

But is the general rule "Yes, with exceptions" or "No, with exceptions"?

It seems to me that there is a three stage process when making decisions. 1. Is it moral? 2. Is it wise? 3. What are my preferences?

If something is immoral, it should be ruled out as a choice. If something is unwise it should be ruled out. If one choice is obviously wiser than another, then that should obviously be the decision you make. However, sometimes you are faced with situations where several choices seem acceptable and wise. In this case, how do you make your decision? I feel that when it comes to this, the desires which continue to be sanctified and purified by God allow me to choose any of the options with confidence. I suppose you could call this godly wisdom, but I think wisdom may be a bit grandiose for some of the scenarios. If I am choosing between two brands of oatmeal, and both are the same price, size, etc., would making a decision be called godly wisdom? Maybe, but I would call it personal preference in that case.

Regardless, thanks for your thoughts (and I look forward to hearing more if anyone still comments on this thread). The issue I have in mind is actually a big one, but I don't want the issue itself to taint the general guiding principle discussed above.

Good post, Jack.:ditto:

After thinking about Jack's post above, I am now thinking that we may never get to the point of making a decision purely based on personal preference. By this I mean that there will always be some aspect of applying Biblical wisdom for which we will never see that things are perfectly equal to the point where all that is left is personal preference.

One really good way I have heard it put is to use "sanctified reasoning". This means that a Christian, having been changed over months, years, and decades, thinks more and more Biblically about everything in their life. As time passes, Biblical principles are more easily identified and applied.

I am only 34, but in my time as a Christian, I have seen that decisions that formerly would have been challenging are now quite simple for me and don't require any serious deliberation - I already know the right and wise thing to do. Of course, now I have new decisions to make that are not easy, but in time, I will grow into those as well, with the Lord's help.

"Sanctified reasoning." I think I like that term.

It's from Pastor Carl Russell of Redeemer Presbyterian Church (OPC) in Birmingham, AL. This really helped me when I discussed this sort of thing with him.

Everyone who voted yes, you now have permission to go snort crack, take a trip on LSD, and shoot up on heroin.

I mean if it isn't forbidden in Scripture, then you have permission to do it, right? No is the answer. Scripture also gives us principles to live by, and we should live by them.

WCF Chapter 1

VI. The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men

Everyone who voted yes, you now have permission to go snort crack, take a trip on LSD, and shoot up on heroin. I mean if it isn't forbidden in Scripture, then you have permission to do it, right? No is the answer. Scripture also gives us principles to live by, and we should live by them.

Andrew,

I would venture that everyone would agree with you. Not only on the technicality of it being illegal, but because it would be unwise (we are commanded to be wise are we not?). Also, if you read my explanatory post below the original question, I included things things that are both explicitly and implicitly forbidden, which I believe addresses your concern. I'm sure there have been many Christians who try to justify doing sinful actions on the basis that it is not explicitly forbidden, but that is not the point of this question. The point of the question is whether we have general freedom in our decision within the realm of it being both in accordance with God's law and wise.

Everyone who voted yes, you now have permission to go snort crack, take a trip on LSD, and shoot up on heroin.

Let's be reasonable, here. I've already stated my preference for a term like "godly wisdom" or Tim's "sanctified reasoning" rather than simply "permitted." But if pressed to make a yes/no choice, I might pick "yes." That's because I'd be thinking of "permitted" the way the Bible uses the idea rather than in a worldly way.

When the Bible speaks of things permitted under Christian freedom, it doesn't mean license to do whatever your sinful nature wants. It means freedom to do what your spiritual nature desires. So I say, "Yes, you are permitted! You have amazing, Christ-bought freedom to choose what is godly and beneficial."

Didn't Augustine write, "Love God and do as you please"?

Actually, Augustine wrote "Love and do what you will." (Latin: dilige et quod vis fac)

Still, this is one of my favorite quotes from Augustine, as it speaks well to living a sanctified life that flows from godly love. Here is what he said in context:

This we have said in the case where the things done are similar. In the case where they are diverse, we find a man by charity made fierce; and by iniquity made winningly gentle. A father beats a boy, and a boy-stealer caresses. If you name the two things, blows and caresses, who would not choose the caresses, and decline the blows? If you mark the persons, it is charity that beats, iniquity that caresses. See what we are insisting upon; that the deeds of men are only discerned by the root of charity. For many things may be done that have a good appearance, and yet proceed not from the root of charity. For thorns also have flowers: some actions truly seem rough, seem savage; howbeit they are done for discipline at the bidding of charity. Once for all, then, a short precept is given you: Love, and do what you will: whether you hold your peace, through love hold your peace; whether you cry out, through love cry out; whether you correct, through love correct; whether you spare, through love do you spare: let the root of love be within, of this root can nothing spring but what is good. (Homilies on the First Epistle of John, 7.8)​

If memory serves me correctly, the addition of "God" to the quote, and its subsequent popularization, was due to a faulty quotation of it by Thomas Aquinas.

When you get beyond direct biblical commands, a better stardard than "personal preference" would be "godly wisdom." Your personal tastes, goals and desires will be part of that. But such tastes and desires are shaped by a life that's immersed in all the Scriptures and lived with God.

I understand what you're saying here; but I think it's worth offering the caveat that sometimes people do confuse their personal preferences with godly wisdom, and turn that preference into another law. Thus sometimes people take "discernment" (which in some cases could be practically defined as, "the faculty of finding indifferent things objectionable") and use it to condemn all manner of things which cannot be condemned from Scripture. Part of avoiding that is keeping very clearly in mind that some things merely are matters of preference. Between the red tie and the blue tie, you can wear whichever you prefer.

I understand what you're saying here; but I think it's worth offering the caveat that sometimes people do confuse their personal preferences with godly wisdom, and turn that preference into another law. Thus sometimes people take "discernment" (which in some cases could be practically defined as, "the faculty of finding indifferent things objectionable") and use it to condemn all manner of things which cannot be condemned from Scripture. Part of avoiding that is keeping very clearly in mind that some things merely are matters of preference. Between the red tie and the blue tie, you can wear whichever you prefer.

Agreed. And worth bringing up, both because some people place such burdens on others and because some place these on themselves.

I mean if it isn't forbidden in Scripture, then you have permission to do it, right? No is the answer. Scripture also gives us principles to live by, and we should live by them.

WCF Chapter 1

VI. The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men

Andrew, with all due respect, your response is a bit terse and mischaracterizes the intent of the posters in this thread. A bit more charity and a irenic approach will do justice to your brothers and the conversation.

Sent using my most excellent Android device.

Agreed. And worth bringing up, both because some people place such burdens on others and because some place these on themselves.

Yes: sometimes people will struggle with guilt for wearing the red tie.

There are too many factors being left out of the poll question in my estimation. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin according to Romans. Then there is the liberty issue. Then the issue of the weaker conscience. Too many variables are being left out of the poll question.

There are too many factors being left out of the poll question in my estimation. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin according to Romans. Then there is the liberty issue. Then the issue of the weaker conscience. Too many variables are being left out of the poll question.

Here is a question I am pondering. Would an unbeliever choosing a red tie vs. a blue tie be sinning? Or is this a truly amoral choice? Does the "whatsoever" apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back