"Overcoming Sin and Temptation" by John Owen, Kelly M. Kapic and Justin Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSlaveryToChrist

Puritan Board Junior
I wonder if anyone has read this book concerning the three works of John Owen on sin (i.e., "Of the Mortification of Sin in Believers," "Of Temptation: The Nature and Power of It," and "Indwelling Sin"):

Amazon.com: Overcoming Sin and Temptation (9781581346497): John Owen, Kelly M. Kapic, Justin Taylor, John Piper: Books

Although the book was published in September 25, 2006, there seems to be no other such book written on any of the three works in question. The book is not a modernized edition or an abridgement of the original works of Owen. It has got some great reviews on Amazon, and I wonder if this is THE book to get, if one is willing to dive into these three challenging works of Owen.

Here are the reviews from the back of the book:

"The editors of this volume have worked hard to make Owen's unrivalled insight into the Christian's inner war with sin accessible to all, and the result is truly a godsend."
—J. I. Packer, Board of Governors' Professor of Theology, Regent College; author, Knowing God

"To read Owen is to mine spiritual gold. Unfortunately, as in mining, reading Owen is hard work. Now, Kelly Kapic and Justin Taylor have made Owen's work accessible to modern readers while still retaining his unique writing style."
—Jerry Bridges, author, The Pursuit of Holiness

"With brilliant editorial efforts and insightful introductions by Kapic and Taylor, John Owen's magnificent treatises on sin and sanctification have been made available for a new generation."
—David S. Dockery, President, Union University

"Sin is tenacious, but by God's grace we can hate it and hunt it. John Owen provides the master guide for the sin-hunter. Kapic and Taylor bring together three of Owen's classics, clarifying them in simple ways-but all the substance, the careful, hounding arguments are still there."
—Mark Dever, Pastor, Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Washington DC; President, 9Marks

"John Owen understood how the gospel makes us well. Three cheers for Kapic and Taylor for introducing a new generation to Owen's peerless works."
—Sinclair B. Ferguson, Senior Pastor, First Presbyterian Church, Columbia, South Carolina

"John Owen is a spiritual surgeon with the rare skill to cut away the cancer of sin and bring gospel healing to the sinner's soul. Apart from the Bible, I have found his writings to be the best books ever written to help me stop sinning the same old sins."
—Philip Graham Ryken, President, Wheaton College

"No writer has taught me more about the dynamics of the heart and the deceitfulness of sin than John Owen. Read this book carefully; it will help you understand your heart and experience God's grace."
—C. J. Mahaney, Sovereign Grace Ministries

I somehow got this book in PDF for free. If it is, indeed, able to be given for free in PDF to friends, I can send it to you (and if it wasn't supposed to be given to me, tell me so I can delete it).

I bought that version recently, but it will probably be a few more months before I get to it. Really looking forward to it though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back