Painting a Fence on the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Friends,

On this past Lord's Day, there was a plan for members to stay after church, change their clothes, and paint the fence that encompasses our property. This plan was made some time earlier and publically (re)announced before the worship started. There was no reason given why this was not scheduled for a Saturday. Historically, our church set aside Saturdays for work days, but now it has changed to the Lord's Day. Providentially it rained. :)

What do you think? Should I mention my concern to one of the elders? This is timely because the work day will be rescheduled soon for the Lord's Day or, if the Session reconsiders, for some other day.

Thanks for you input on this matter.

Saturday's were always the acknowledged workdays at our old PCA church as well.
Sad state of affairs that nobody has actually raised any concerns over this.

Yes do speak up Ed, and of course don't participate.

Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

It's not an act of necessity (it previously was fine doing such things on Saturday) and it is not an act of mercy. It's regular maintenance and should be scheduled another day like the lawn and landscape care etc.

My current congregation and the OPC one I was a member of when we were in TN both would specifically hold church meetings and any cleaning/maintenance days on common days. I think having both not on the Lord's Day was a wise practice, to save only what work is necessary for the Lord's Day.

I wish this scenario was the worst of what I have to experience on most Sundays! I'm envious.

The session in my last church (PCA) discussed at one point sending elders to the athletic fields on Sunday mornings for prayer and scripture reading because so many members were skipping church service due to youth sports activities. The thought here was that the elders could "minister" to these families before the games started. Seriously, this was discussed.

Now we're at a different church (PCA) and while families attend with more regularity each Lord's day, I have yet to meet a family that strives to keep the Sabbath. Just yesterday I watched at least four families walk out at the start of communion being served towards the end of the service. Guess they had somewhere more important to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back