Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Whos' your favorite painter? What's your favorite artistic style?

I love Baroque. That's the Golden Age of painting in my book. And I find no better expression of that then in the Dutch Masters. Rembrandt and Vermeer are among the best.

I also like impressionism. Van Gogh (post, I know), Monet, Renoir. "Starry Night" is my all-time favorite. I love the Houses of Parliament on the Thames too.

I am blessed to live and work near the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC. I can view many great works on my lunch hour. I have visited the Metropolitan in NYC and the British Museum in London too. Nowadays one can see it all online too. I hope to visit the National Portrait Gallery in Scotland one day.

[Edited on 1-1-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Ah! what a fun thread!

I have two favorites; Vermeer and my very favorite--Albrecht Durer.

My favorite style is the Dutch Masters and Renaissance.

I also love preschool art. I taught preschool for many years and every once in a while those preschool masterpieces moved my heart in ways that can't be explained.

VanGogh, Picasso, I even like Huntertwasser(sic). This new cynical, make-fun-of-all-serious-ideals stuff I hate!

Quote:

"This new cynical, make-fun-of-all-serious-ideals stuff I hate! "

Then how is it that you like Picasso?

I've always been attracted to Caravaggio's work.

Has anyone ever heard of William Bouguereau? This guy was amazing...his subject matter is definitely in the sometimes schmaltzy late romantic category but his complete command of oil paint is at par with or beyond any of the great masters.

Check out this article (and images):

www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/philosophy1.asp

I was really compelled by this article and look back at my art education with dismay as I see the corrupt fruit of modernism/post modernism that was fed to me. I actually feel like I was ripped off.

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
Quote:

"This new cynical, make-fun-of-all-serious-ideals stuff I hate! "

Then how is it that you like Picasso?

I'm talking about painters who think body fluids are paint!:barfy:

Originally posted by turmeric

I'm talking about painters who think body fluids are paint!:barfy:

Like the one "artist" who used a photograph of a crucifix soaked in his own urine for an art exhibition?

[Edited on 2-1-2005 by Authorised]

Yeah...Maplethorpe was a blasphemer.

...I have a feeling he isn't so cocky about his opinion any more.

2x3gogh.starry-night.jpeg

[Edited on 7-24-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Art history is one of my favorite subjects, and as an artist my favorite medium is oil paints. I really enjoy landscape painting and my favorite period of art history is the "Hudson River School" with Thomas Cole as the founder of this style. When I lived in upstate New York I visited the Hudson River Valley and the Catskill home of Thomas Cole. Frederick Church's incredible home "Olana" is not far away on the east side of the river. Thomas Moran was the best landscape painter in my book, and I really enjoy his work. Another favorite artist of mine is John Singer Sargent, whom I consider to be the best portraitist. I also enjoy the 18th century American artists John Singleton Copley, Benjamin Church and John Trumball. Another favorite school of art is the "Chadd's Ford School" of illustrators founded by Howard Pyle and his student N.C. Wyeth. I also really admire the works of Wyeth's son Andrew Wyeth and grandson, James Wyeth. They've both influenced my work a lot.

My least favorite periods would be the early rennaissance, impressionism and pop art.

Thomas Cole, View from Mount Holyoke, Northampton, Massachusetts, after a Thunderstorm (the Oxbow). 1836.

cole161dx.jpg

[Edited on 7-25-2005 by Plimoth Thom]

I love this picture.

adorationofthelamb5yw.jpg

The first place I saw it was on a Navpress book then I saw it on Francis Schaeffer's book 'How Then Shall We Live'.

It is an altar Piece at Ghent, by Jan Van Eyck.

[Edited on 7-25-2005 by puritancovenanter]

I've been to several great art museums in my travels, I always like going to one. Some of my favorites include the Norton Simon in Pasadena, CA and the incredible Huntington Library in San Marino, CA which has a great gallery of American art. The Fenimore Art Museum in Cooperstown, NY is very good too. The Albany Institute of History and Art in Albany, NY has a great collection of the "Hudson River School" including several Thomas Cole's.

Other Artists I really admire are Grant Wood, the famous painter of American Gothic. I love his stylized Iowa landscapes, which I believe really capture the Midwest quite well. Also, Winslow Homer is another favorite American artist of mine. I love his Adirondack watercolors, and just admire his style in general. Edward Hopper's "city-scapes" are another favorite.

[Edited on 7-25-2005 by Plimoth Thom]

I was working toward becoming a professional artist before coming to Christ. I decided to give it up for a while... I am not anti-art, just was something that had tremendous hold over me and needed to be put under reigns.

Impressionism is my favorite era. The work of Monet has had the most influence on my style of painting. I recall so vividly a big show in Chicago of Monet's work, which they attempted to recreate the displays as they were the first time the works had been shown in Public. The haystack paintings, for which Monet is so famous, hung in an octogon wood panel room, providing a most stunning effect. Did anyone else see that show? If I recall it was 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back