Paradigm for the Present Active Indicative

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Zack: I would decline to cogitate...er, I mean conjugate (though some might think that I've always done the former!). In any case, I may not have been the first person to note that (I am not being accusative here).

Peace,
Alan

I'm with Zack: I would decline to cogitate...er, I mean conjugate (though some might think that I've always done the former!). In any case, I may not have been the first person to note that (I am not being accusative here).

Peace,
Alan

Prof's got Jokes! Those are some "first-class clauses"! Thanks for a chuckle, Dr. Strange-love em!

Rich:

I'm still with Zach (and thanks Todd!). I think that it should be a declension--I don't wish to be absolute in insisting on an ablative, but I must be the second or third person who prefers a genitive or dative over an indicative. Perhaps it's not an imperative, no one's perfect...sorry, I'm just not in the mood for this anymore, would that I were (subjunctively speaking)!

Peace,
Alan

Rich:

I'm still with Zach (and thanks Todd!). I think that it should be a declension--I don't wish to be absolute in insisting on an ablative, but I must be the second or third person who prefers a genitive or dative over an indicative. Perhaps it's not an imperative, no one's perfect...sorry, I'm just not in the mood for this anymore, would that I were (subjunctively speaking)!

Peace,
Alan
I think I should prefer a subjunctive but I'm beginning to think infinitive.

I think it is important to remember the words of the immortal Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes, of course, why would anyone on this board think I was referring to anyone else? Sheesh): "Verbing weirds language."

Foul, I cry, Rich: I knew that you'd retreat to verbals and dangle that carrot, er...participle before us all. This way you eat your cake and keep it too: verbals let you turn these conveyors of action into functional nouns and adjectives. I decline to participate in this partisan parade of participles! I directly object and cannot remain passive. But I must desist from future gerundive forays (that's my agenda!).

Peace,
Alan

Nah. Chick-fil-a fits better in Latin. Proper noun.

Gaius Rufus Chick-filaus has the best ring to it.

That's a fair observation, Vic. But "fair is foul and foul is fair." So "foul" was perfectly fair (as I was going for the homonym here; either that or those extra umpires down the lines for the playoff games were just confused!).

Peace,
Alan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back