Parresia vs Particular Baptist Heritage Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseale

Puritan Board Freshman
I posted on here a while back looking for recommendations regarding a copy of the LBC which matched the form of the Westminster (proof texts printed out in full, index for searching texts in the back, etc).

I received two recommendations and decided to purchase one of each.

Parresia - $24.09 including shipping
PBHB - $37.00 including shipping

As you can see, the two books have an identical foot print (slightly larger than the Westminster). The PBHB book is slightly thicker because it includes an index and uses slightly larger font.

I appreciate the index in the PBHB and wish the Parresia book contained the same, but find the Parresia font to be classier or more professional or something along those lines. (Parresia page pic is first followed by PBHB).

The paper on the PBHB is more of a cream while the Parresia is more white. I’d say that the PBHB had a bit less ghosting. The PBHB is also more smooth while the Parresia is more textured.

I also found that the Parresia book arrived with a more broken in feel. The PBHB book was very “tight” and requires effort to keep open but will surely loosen up with time.

One major issue from my perspective was that the more expensive PBHB book arrived damaged (see pics). The book is visibly separating in several places.

When I contacted them about this issue, they assured me that none of the pages should fall out but that they would repair free of charge if they did.

I’m sure I could push and get them to send a replacement but this is definitely something worth noting before you spend nearly $40 on the book.

All in all, I prefer the Parresia book (and not just because the other arrived damaged) and say that unless you are dead set on having a Scripture index in the back, you should save the money and purchase from them.

14743FC9-9A95-4C7B-8F8D-F7E9FF0ECB2D.jpeg B76CE4ED-B03F-4349-AD01-49C5691C250A.jpeg 0B4C3AC2-6D82-48F5-A98F-24E4841660F7.jpeg

62E3CAD2-DE40-4D8D-8CBE-7E6AE107C247.jpeg 6C62E609-FD9B-432D-B3DF-8DC730BFE642.jpeg 462F6B3B-7750-48CE-ABEC-F6BAAF698B99.jpeg

Attachments

• 138FAA48-ABB7-4CCD-AEEE-1719283FAF3F.jpeg
    138FAA48-ABB7-4CCD-AEEE-1719283FAF3F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you for the great review and pics.

In my opinion that damage is unacceptable and you do NOT need to wait until pages are falling out. They should replace your defective book immediately, no questions asked and no additional shipping charges.

Companies that don't stand by their products, especially premium priced ones, do not deserve our business regardless of what they are printing. Christian companies especially should do everything in their power to offer quality products and quickly make it right when something like this happens.

I posted on here a while back looking for recommendations regarding a copy of the LBC which matched the form of the Westminster (proof texts printed out in full, index for searching texts in the back, etc).

I received two recommendations and decided to purchase one of each.

Parresia - $24.09 including shipping
PBHB - $37.00 including shipping

As you can see, the two books have an identical foot print (slightly larger than the Westminster). The PBHB book is slightly thicker because it includes an index and uses slightly larger font.

I appreciate the index in the PBHB and wish the Parresia book contained the same, but find the Parresia font to be classier or more professional or something along those lines. (Parresia page pic is first followed by PBHB).

The paper on the PBHB is more of a cream while the Parresia is more white. I’d say that the PBHB had a bit less ghosting. The PBHB is also more smooth while the Parresia is more textured.

I also found that the Parresia book arrived with a more broken in feel. The PBHB book was very “tight” and requires effort to keep open but will surely loosen up with time.

One major issue from my perspective was that the more expensive PBHB book arrived damaged (see pics). The book is visibly separating in several places.

When I contacted them about this issue, they assured me that none of the pages should fall out but that they would repair free of charge if they did.

I’m sure I could push and get them to send a replacement but this is definitely something worth noting before you spend nearly $40 on the book.

All in all, I prefer the Parresia book (and not just because the other arrived damaged) and say that unless you are dead set on having a Scripture index in the back, you should save the money and purchase from them.

View attachment 10133View attachment 10134View attachment 10135

View attachment 10137View attachment 10138View attachment 10139
That price point is absurd for a glued binding. For $40 they couldn't have bothered to have the pages sewn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back