Particular Benefits Only Rural Living Can Provide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess all of the big rural advocates are too busy feeding their chickens to post!
Many suburbs allow for chickens with less than half an acre plot. How about considering a semi-rural, smaller city, close to church and work? Perhaps with a house that could be modified for two families. A couple of acres with woods.

Looking at just benefits, I would say commute time and traffic. Here in Chicago (I live 28 miles southwest of downtown Chicago) traffic can be down-right ugly. I have had several 3hr + commutes home. That is insanity. It typically takes an hour leaving at 2:30 pm. At 4:00 pm, forgetaboutit!

Looking at just benefits, I would say commute time and traffic. Here in Chicago (I live 28 miles southwest of downtown Chicago) traffic can be down-right ugly. I have had several 3hr + commutes home. That is insanity. It typically takes an hour leaving at 2:30 pm. At 4:00 pm, forgetaboutit!

That's a good point I had forgotten about. I was in a similar situation: 30 miles from my work, sometimes 3 hour drives to get home.

Now my commute is at most 7 minutes from home to office, or office to court. Sometimes there is a delay because a combine convoy might be passing through, but that means at most another 5 minutes or so.

Sometimes there is a delay because a combine convoy might be passing through, but that means at most another 5 minutes or so.
There is a county road we use often in warmer weather, and almost always have to make room for extra-wide farm equipment coming toward us. They really move, too.

I raised chickens on the river this summer. I enjoyed the quiet (not the chickens so much). Certainly wouldn't work for my whole family long term.

This thread reminded me of something J.C. Ryle wrote in his paper "Athens." It would be naive to think that one escapes sin when they leave our modern, urban centres, but there is something particular about the depravity we find in the city:

"It is in the city—"where Satan's seat is" (Rev. 2:13). It is in the city—where evil of every kind is most rapidly conceived, sown, ripened, and brought to maturity. It is in the city—where the young man, leaving home, and launching into life, becomes soonest hardened, and conscience-seared by daily familiarity with the sight of sin. It is in the city—where sensuality, intemperance, and worldly amusements of the vilest kind flourish most rankly, and find a congenial atmosphere. It is in the city—where ungodliness and irreligion meet with the greatest encouragement, and the unhappy Sabbath-breaker, or neglecter of all means of grace, can fortify himself behind the example of others, and enjoy the miserable comfort of feeling that "he does not stand alone!" It is the city—which is the chosen home of every form of superstition, ceremonialism, enthusiasm, and fanaticism in religion. It is the city—which is the hotbed of every kind of false philosophy—of Stoicism, Epicureanism, Agnosticism, Secularism, Skepticism, Positivism, Infidelity, and Atheism. It is the city—where that greatest of modern inventions, the printing-press, that mighty power for good and evil, is ever working with unsleeping activity, and pouring forth new matter for thought. It is the city—where the daily newspapers are continually supplying food for minds, and molding and guiding public opinion. It is the city—which is the center of all national business. The banks, the law-courts, the Stock Exchange, the Parliament or Assembly, are all bound up with the city. It is the city—which, by magnetic influence, draws together the rank and fashion of the land, and gives the tone to the tastes and ways of society. It is the city—which practically controls the destiny of a nation."

This thread reminded me of something J.C. Ryle wrote in his paper "Athens." It would be naive to think that one escapes sin when they leave our modern, urban centres, but there is something particular about the depravity we find in the city:

"It is in the city—"where Satan's seat is" (Rev. 2:13). It is in the city—where evil of every kind is most rapidly conceived, sown, ripened, and brought to maturity. It is in the city—where the young man, leaving home, and launching into life, becomes soonest hardened, and conscience-seared by daily familiarity with the sight of sin. It is in the city—where sensuality, intemperance, and worldly amusements of the vilest kind flourish most rankly, and find a congenial atmosphere. It is in the city—where ungodliness and irreligion meet with the greatest encouragement, and the unhappy Sabbath-breaker, or neglecter of all means of grace, can fortify himself behind the example of others, and enjoy the miserable comfort of feeling that "he does not stand alone!" It is the city—which is the chosen home of every form of superstition, ceremonialism, enthusiasm, and fanaticism in religion. It is the city—which is the hotbed of every kind of false philosophy—of Stoicism, Epicureanism, Agnosticism, Secularism, Skepticism, Positivism, Infidelity, and Atheism. It is the city—where that greatest of modern inventions, the printing-press, that mighty power for good and evil, is ever working with unsleeping activity, and pouring forth new matter for thought. It is the city—where the daily newspapers are continually supplying food for minds, and molding and guiding public opinion. It is the city—which is the center of all national business. The banks, the law-courts, the Stock Exchange, the Parliament or Assembly, are all bound up with the city. It is the city—which, by magnetic influence, draws together the rank and fashion of the land, and gives the tone to the tastes and ways of society. It is the city—which practically controls the destiny of a nation."
Thanks for this.

I honestly believe that an argument could be made that being immersed in God's creation, with its manifold beauties and glories pointing to its Creator, is better for the soul than the hustle and bustle of a concrete jungle where, as Ryle says, much sin abounds.

But, most Westerners in this age have never experienced that of which I speak, and therefore default as 'ruralsceptics'. Not to be confused with anti EU Eurosceptics.

Each location (urban, suburban, and rural) has advantages and disadvantages: I've lived in all three in the South, East, and Midwest (in the States) and have enjoyed each place that I've lived. Contiguity to sound Reformed worship, as many have noted, is of paramount interest.

Right now, I live in the suburbs with much opportunity for rural and urban interaction. Many of the things that I enjoy (museums, the orchestra and opera, restaurants, etc.) are found only in the urban/suburban setting. But it depends on what one seeks to pursue at any given point.

This world is not our home and so where we live is not so important as how we live. We are called, as pilgrims here, to live in faith and that can be done in any setting. As for Ryrie's observations, they are not quite as applicable now since we have access to Athens (if not to say the red-light district, sadly) in our own homes.

I do lament greater access to wickedness everywhere, but rejoice in greater access to resources everywhere. I have traveled, and do travel, for my historical research, but I also have online digital availability to resources hitherto accessible only in person or with much difficulty.

So much could be said about all of this and I think that I've said enough, for now at least!

Peace,
Alan

I live in the suburbs and in an 8 minute car ride I can get to the swamps and disappear. I can also be at the hospital in 8 minutes.

I can think of some ways rural living might promote a biblical lifestyle. You've already mentioned most of them. But I can also think of ways close friendships promote a biblical lifestyle. So I suggest you try not to live so far out that close friendships become hard to maintain.

I grew up in a rural setting, on a mission compound in a very small town 75 miles from the nearest supermarket. Most of the time, there were no other families (only an interpreter) living on the compound. The fact we were in a town meant my brothers and I did have a few friends we could see without hopping in a car, and this turned out to be very important. My mother really struggled out there because she had a harder time making close friends among the few women in that town.

Today I live in a subdivision where there are about 100 other homes within walking distance. We are ten miles from the mountain resort town (sound familiar?) where we shop, have our church, and where the kids go to school. It's nice at times being out from town, and certainly cheaper, but I'm glad we are no further out. Even at this relatively near distance to town, my wife and kids sometimes find it tough to stay close to the friends they most enjoy. Families who live in more rural settings further from town get lonely, and their kids feel distant from their friends. It's a burden for them to keep friendships going, especially for the kids as those kids get older.

So think about what friendships will look like if you go more rural. Will there be good friends nearby? And if not, is each member of your family comfortable with the distance from friends? Think especially about what the high school years will look like for your kids. Close friendships with other godly kids are important during those years and can be hard to find even if you live near church and school. If you live further out, how easy will it be to maintain those friendships?

Given a good church, I prefer a rural setting. The difficulty is finding the church. Find the church first.

My family and I may have the opportunity to move from a city of 150,000 to a more rural setting in the coming year, if it be the Lord's will that everything happens accordingly.

Do you think there are real benefits to living in a rural setting - on land with some animals and surrounded by nature, &c. - that can only be found in this type of place and lifestyle? I know a good work ethic can be taught anywhere, for example, so I don't mean that. I am looking for positives that only this lifestyle can offer.

I am thinking mostly of my two boys (1, 1) who could grow up in a busy, expensive, soulless medium-sized city; or they could grow up on a piece of Grandpa and Grandmas land, working with their hands from a young age, spending their childhood under the open sky and amongst the trees, &c.

I know there are multiple factors in such a decision, but would this kind of life be truly better than the city alternative?

I myself think so, but I would appreciate any input.
There is a difference between being surrounded by that which is natural on the one hand, and being surrounded by that which is artificial on the other. It's not a moral difference--there is nothing morally wrong with building cities, and there is nothing morally wrong with living in them. However, when these things begin to crowd out raw creation, and the more natural design of God in the world, it can be unhealthy.

Consider Psalm 8:3-4:
When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
Can we have anything other than a hypothetical understanding of this verse if we never actually see very many stars in the sky?

Compare Psalm 19:
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
It's difficult to pay attention to the revelation of God in his creation when we are surrounded by the sights and sounds of the artificial creations of man's hands.

When we live in the country, we are constantly confronted with the fact that we did not make this world.

As far as your children are concerned, they are charged to remember their creator in the days of their youth (Ecc 12:1). The created order is designed to remind them of their creator, and they will have a closer contact with that created order when they aren't surrounded by the noise of the city.

It's true that men can drown out the voice of God in creation while living in the country, and it's true that God's voice in creation may be heard in the city. However, it's a lot harder to drown out the voice of God when surrounded by it in the majesty of raw, untamed creation.

Even pagans recognize that the natural wonders of this world point to something greater than them; that's why they've been inclined to worship the heavenly bodies, and count mountains as sacred. Thanks be to God--we have the full revelation of Scripture which enables us to rightly interpret natural revelation.

It disturbs me to think that the only life that some people know is walking on concrete sidewalks with earbuds in. It's a distracted life, cut off from the natural manner in which men are intended to live. Turn up the music and close your eyes--you'll be out of this world soon enough, and then you won't have to worry about reckoning with the deeper things!

On another note, I grew up in the country, and now I live in a small city with my young family of five. We live in a neighborhood of townhouses, absolutely SURROUNDED by neighbors. I feel like a potted plant. I long to enjoy the quiet of the country, and see the stars in the sky. I long for my children to know what it is to run in the woods and fields, to climb trees, and to catch turtles. Further, it bothers me how dependent we are on the electrical grid, the grocery stores, etc. I want my family to know how to take care of themselves.

Happily, we will soon be moving to the same piece of land that I grew up on! It will be good to be back where I can breathe and think, and where I can truly be alone with my family, outside of sight and earshot of my neighbors.

I grew up in the country and now live in the jungle. When I visit the US we live in a city in order to have quick access to highways and churches.

Here are the advantages and disadvantages I have found:

ADVANTAGES:
-As a kid I could hike for hours through woods and explore. It made me healthy.
-Country people are more self-reliant.
-There was low crime.
-My school was excellent even for a public school. It won awards.
-There are plenty of good activities like canoeing and camping. We had bonfires and went hunting and shooting. No need for kids to be less bored in the country.
-Cities are more liberal and more crime-ridden.

DISADVANTAGES:
-You can't order a pizza in 30 minutes or less.

We moved from an urban area to the country for our kid's sake. Crime, gangs, low performing schools, rising cost of living, population increase, hectic traffic, etc. We don't regret it, and now that they are older, neither do they.

Church is a priority and a major consideration. We drive almost one hour to get to church. That is a sacrifice. And that far away, you can't be an active member.

For your kids to be able to participate and socialize in events will mean more time driving. But I'd still rather drive a longer distance in the country than a shorter distance in the crowded city streets! Much less stressful on the roads, and in life overall. Our nearest neighbor is a half mile away through the woods.

One thing to consider is that "rural" and "city" can be used too often in merely demographic categories. Are there physical benefits to consider on this question? Sure. Are you going to have more opportunity for things in a city context? Obviously.

However I think your question has more of a connotation of what I'd like to call a discussion between an Agrarian/Localist worldview vs. a Technocratic/Urban one which is not necessarily a question of the amount of humans present in a given area.

That would probably elicit a different conversation than the direction the thread has taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back