Particular Churches Means National Churches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
A question regarding this excerpt from the confession: "And particular churches, which are members thereof, are more or less pure, according as the doctrine of the gospel is taught and embraced, ordinances administered, and public worship performed more or less purely in them."

IN his dissertation, Peter Wallace states: "The phrase 'particular churches' commonly referred to the national or regional churches such as the Church of Scotland, or the Church of Saxony."

Is this right? In PCA parlance, the term "particular church" normally means a local congregation.

Thanks

The Westminster Form of Presbyterian Church Government refers to both "particular churches" and "particular congregations." It also uses the term parish ("particular church" in Roman canon law means a diocese, which is like a parish, but the Assembly's view of the church was clearly not Roman). I think when "particular church" is used in the Westminster Standards that national or regional churches, ie., Church of Scotland, are in view. "Particular congregations" clearly has reference to local assemblies. This distinction is also evident in the Directory for Publick Worship which refers to the churches of Scotland, England and Ireland as well as reformed churches abroad, but also to "particular cities or congregations" on a local level. Prior to 1789, national churches were the norm, so I think it generally makes sense that "particular church" has reference to national or regional churches rather than to congregations, but there could in some cases be some overlap, I suppose.

Robert Shaw's exposition on the confession has some comments on the sense of "particular church" as distinguished from the Roman and Congregational views of the church.

[Edited on 9-23-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back