Pascal's theory of Original Sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_Ives

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi all, I'm a bit concerned;

I had a Systematic Theology Lecture last night, in which the lecturer was discussing apparently diferrent views on "original sin"

He referred to Adam's sin being imputed to the entire human race, and basically dismissed that. Then he said, "Another view is that Adam was the Federal Head of the human race," he said that idea was based on a dubious interpretation of a text in romans, I didn't write down what he referred to, but I can recall it was somewhere in Romans 5. So he rejected the idea thatAdam was acting federally.

He then went on to promote the view of Pascal on original sin.

I maintain whole heartedly that Adam was acting federally when representing the human race, and that Adams sin was imputed to the entire human race, so I'm not confused about that, but I'm curious to see what people thought he meant when he dismissed the idea in favour of pascal's view. I look up Parcal and see Pascals wager, but nothing on the concept of original sin, and its transmission, and how Adams act affected the human race.

On an unrelated question, earlier in the same lecture he said that the husband and wife relationship was a 'poor reflection' of the relationship between the Father and the Son in the Trinity, and based that concept on 1 Cor 11:3 - Ive never heard that before, but I don't like it because I think its reading into the verse stuff thats just not there, and mis applying the use of words in that verse also.

The most obvious Scriptures for original sin (and federal headship) are: 1 Cor. 15:1-4,16-22 and Rom. 5:12-21. Pay particular attention to all of the "by one man" statements.

From 1 Cor. 15,
By one man, AdamBy one man, Jesus Christ
came deathcomes the resurrection of the dead
all men diedthey that are Christ's shall be made alive

The First Adam in Rom. 5,

• by one
  • by one man
  • by one man's offence
  • by the offence of one
  • through the offence of one
  • by one that sinned
  • by one man's disobedience

• sin entered into the world
  • death entered the world by sin
  • death passed upon all men
  • many [all] were made sinners
  • death reigns
  • many [all] are dead
  • sin has reigned unto death
  • judgment came upon all men to condemnation

The Second Adam in Rom. 5,

• by one, Jesus Christ
  • by one man, Jesus Christ
  • by the righteousness of one
  • by the obedience of one

• the gift, by the grace of God, has abounded* unto many
  • the free gift of justification
  • they receive abundance of grace
  • the gift of righteousness
  • shall reign in life
  • the free gift came unto justification of life
  • shall many be made righteous
  • grace reigns through righteousness unto eternal life

A quick reference for more information can be found in this post. It includes short quotations on original sin from several church confessions going back as far as the Council of Carthage in 418 AD. It is interesting to note that one of the things the church had to re-establish to counter Pelagianism, Semi-Pelagianism, and Arminianism was the doctrine of original sin.

Thanks Keith, I can agree Adam / Christ acting as federal head is very clear, thank you for the great references. I'm not concerned about being influenced by error, as I think its obviously wrong: however do you have any idea what Pascal's idea on original sin is/was and how it is distinguished from the federal representative head idea? I'm wondering if that view is heretical - who was Pascal and what was his concept of the transfer of original sin as distinct from the legal imputation of sin and federal representative headship? By putting forth Pascal in place of federal representative headship - what is the lecturer actually suggesting / saying?

I knew Blaise Pascal's contributions to computers but not Christianity. A Google search with the following keywords shows some things.

Pascal "original sin"

Pascal is fascinating. He was a disciple of Rene Descartes: and yet, in the final analysis, he was a fideist. Pascal was a Jansenist. Pascal was also an Enlightenment man. He was more concerned with understanding man and his condition then he was looking at the Bible and seeing what it revealed about God. Pascal said that nothing was more shocking to our reason; then to say the in the sin of the first man all of his descendants are implicated. Pascal goes on to say that but for the mystery of original sin, incomprehensible to our reason; we remain incomprehensible to ourselves.

"Men are afraid of Religion. They hate and despise it. They are afraid it may be true." Blaise Pascal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back