Pastor of Hermas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFranchetti

Puritan Board Freshman
I recently began reading Moody Classic's Apostolic Fathers collection and have read and enjoyed 1 Clement. The end of the book contains the Pastor of Hermas and I was curious if it was worth reading or if it contains false teachings which I should avoid. In Book 2 Mandate 2 it states, "If any one is tempted by the devil, and sins after that great and holy calling in which the Lord has called His people to everlasting life, he has opportunity to repent but once. But if he should sin frequently after this, and then repent, to such a man his repentance will be of no avail; for with difficulty will he live." Unless out of context somehow, this would be a slap in the face to the gospel and the Bible. For someone who is more educated and has read this work i'm curious if its beneficial to read. Thanks and God bless

I recently began reading Moody Classic's Apostolic Fathers collection and have read and enjoyed 1 Clement. The end of the book contains the Pastor of Hermas and I was curious if it was worth reading or if it contains false teachings which I should avoid. In Book 2 Mandate 2 it states, "If any one is tempted by the devil, and sins after that great and holy calling in which the Lord has called His people to everlasting life, he has opportunity to repent but once. But if he should sin frequently after this, and then repent, to such a man his repentance will be of no avail; for with difficulty will he live." Unless out of context somehow, this would be a slap in the face to the gospel and the Bible. For someone who is more educated and has read this work i'm curious if its beneficial to read. Thanks and God bless
It's absolutely edifying to read in many ways. Of course, as with all things, use discernment. There are plenty of things to disagree with but much to agree with as well. I tend to like these because I can see what the early church was thinking and trace the development of doctrines. You pointed out one, which is a chief reason why delayed adult baptism existed side by side with infant baptism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back