Pastoral Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
Does anybody know of any puritan literature directly related to men thinking through the pastoral calling/office? Thanks.

~Jacob

Spurgeon (not necessarily a Puritan) has some good stuff in his book "Lectures To My Students".

Does anybody know of any puritan literature directly related to men thinking through the pastoral calling/office? Thanks.

~Jacob

Not Puritan, but two books that are helpfull in this area are:

The Christian Ministry by Charles Bridges, Banner of Truth

and

Called to the Ministry by Edmond P. Clowney, Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company

Also of use in consideration of ministry related study is:

An All Round Ministry by C.H.Spurgeon, Banner of Truth

And of course the best puritan work on minstry is:

The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter, Banner of Truth

Here are a few suggestions for Puritan literature on the ministerial call:

Robert Traill, By What Means May Ministers Best Win Souls?
James Durham, "Concerning a Calling to the Ministry, and clearness therein," in his Commentary on Revelation, pp. 66-77
William Perkins, Of the Calling of the Ministrie: two Treatises, describing the Duties and Dignities of that Calling

Also worth reading:

Herman Witsius, On the Character of a True Theologian
Richard Baxter, The Reformed Pastor (see select extracts from The Christian Directory as well)
William Cunningham, Theological Lectures
John Mason, The Student and the Pastor
John Angell James, An Earnest Ministry the Want of the Times
Charles Bridges, The Christian Ministry
Patrick Fairbairn, Pastoral Theology: A Treatise on the Office and Duties of the Christian Pastor
Thomas Murphy, Pastoral theology; The pastor in the various duties of his office
John Brown, ed., The Christian Pastor's Manual
Charles Spurgeon, Lectures to My Students

James Durham, "Concerning a Calling to the Ministry, and clearness therein," in his Commentary on Revelation, pp. 66-77
William Perkins, Of the Calling of the Ministrie: two Treatises, describing the Duties and Dignities of that Calling

Also worth reading:

Richard Baxter, The Reformed Pastor (see select extracts from The Christian Directory as well)
Patrick Fairbairn, Pastoral Theology: A Treatise on the Office and Duties of the Christian Pastor
Thomas Murphy, Pastoral theology; The pastor in the various duties of his office

Andrew,

You continually amaze me, how on earth are you so well read? I have a couple of topics that I feel very passionate about that requires me to get this detailed, but reading eight or ten books on the Pastoral Call is just astounding. How do you do it, and on such a wide away of theological topics, that I see you consistently post like this about?

Cordially,

Thomas

Also worth reading:

Andrew,

You continually amaze me, how on earth are you so well read? I have a couple of topics that I feel very passionate about that requires me to get this detailed, but reading eight or ten books on the Pastoral Call is just astounding. How do you do it, and on such a wide away of theological topics, that I see you consistently post like this about?

Cordially,

Thomas

I've thought the exact same thing recently

Also worth reading:

Andrew,

Cordially,

Thomas

Brother, Thank you for the kind words, but the answer is simple, I just like to read, and I try to read to God's glory and the good of myself and others, and when possible share what I have learned. The PB provides an opportunity for the latter. I have made it my business to find out, as best as I can (and I am thankful for the brethren here and elsewhere who teach us and sharpen us like iron), what is most worthwhile to read in the subjects that matter the most to me. I keep a master list of (what I consider to be the best) authors and titles for each such subject that is of the greatest interest to me. I have tried to acquire those titles and read them, digest them, and meditate on how they promote God's glory. I also try generally to follow Richard Baxter's Advice On Reading. I'm a layman, not a ministerial student, so why would I be so interested in this particular subject? Well, Joel Beeke gave some advice concerning Witsius' work that I take to heart:

Witsius' inaugural, On the Character of a True Theologian, is a masterpiece which exemplifies his own dictum: "He alone is a true theologian who adds the practical to the theoretical part of religion." Like all of Witsius' writings, this address marries profound intellect with spiritual passion. All Christians, but especially theological students and ministers, would do well to peruse it prayerfully and repeatedly.

As my pastor has said recently concerning the Biblical office of elder, we all do well to study that subject and inculcate the Scriptural virtues and qualifications for the office, regardless of whether we are so called, to the extent possible, so likewise, I don't believe myself to be called to serve as a pastor, but as a layman who prays for his pastor, and all of God's ordained servants, and for the advancement of Christ's kingdom, I want to know, for my own edification, what is the nature of that calling, and what a student of divinity ought to be like.

But after reading all these works (and I've not read all of Cunningham's Lectures, only the Introduction reprinted in the 90's and other select extracts), I remain only an unprofitable servant, still learning, finding out how much more there is to learn, still aiming to put into practice, still falling short.

At your service,

Its not a book but I would like to add Al Martins series on "A call to the Ministry". It is very helpful as well. You can get it from Sermonaudio

John Brown of Haddington:

Reflections of a Candidate for the Ministerial Office.

Dost thou, my soul, desire “the office of a bishop of souls,” a minister of Christ? Examine with deep concern thy preparation for, thy call to, and thy end in offering thyself to, this important work.
Am I a real Christian? or am I a devil, a dissembler with God and men, an entertainer of sin and Satan in my heart? Am I a new creature, having my corrupt nature renewed, old things having passed away, and all things become new? Do I “worship God in the spirit” – read, meditate, pray, converse, under the influence of the Holy Ghost? Do I know and rejoice in what Christ is in himself, and what he is to and hath done for and in me? Have I “no confidence in the flesh” – in my own righteousness, my learning, my address? Hath the Holy Ghost emptied me of self, in every form, till he hath made me “poor in spirit,” “less than the least of all saints” in my own sight? Hath he with a strong hand instructed me to “count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord; and to count them but dung that I may win him, and be found in him, not having my own righteousness, but the righteousness which is of God by faith?” Do I earnestly desire “to know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings” – and to “press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus?” What furniture of gifts hath Christ bestowed upon me – what aptness to teach – what knowledge of “the mysteries of the kingdom” – what skill to instruct others, “bringing forth out of my treasure things new and old” – what ability to make the deep things of God plain to weaker capacities – what quickness of conception – what due inclination to study, as one devoted to matters of infinite consequence – what peculiar fitness for the pulpit, qualifying me to “commend myself to every man’s conscience in the sight of God,” preaching not in the “enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and with power?” With what stock of self-experience, texts, and principles of inspiration, am I entering on the solemn office? Of what truths, relative to the law of God and its threatenings, relative to sin, to Satan, and to divine desertion, hath my saddened soul felt the power, tasting “the wormwood and the gall?” Of what declarations and promises of grace have I tasted, and seen that God is good? What cords of infinite love have caught and held my heart? What oracles of heaven have I “found and eaten!” and have they been to me “the joy and the rejoicing of my heart?” Of what truths and what texts could I now say, “I believe, and therefore I speak?” What I have heard with the Father – what I have seen, and heard, and tasted, and handled, of the Word of life – that I declare unto you.”
Suppose my connections with the great, or my address to the people, should ever so easily procure me a licence, or a charge, yet, if I run unsent by Christ, I must in my whole ministrations act the part of a thief, a robber, a traitor to Christ, and a murderer of souls, not profiting them at all. If without his commission I enter the office, what direction, what support, what comfort, what acceptance, what reward, can I expect in and of my work? Say then, my conscience, as thou shalt answer at the judgment-seat of Christ, am I “taking this honour to myself or am I called of God, as was Aaron?” Is Christ sending me, and laying a necessity upon me to preach the gospel? While he determines me to follow Providence, and to take no irregular step towards thrusting myself into the office, is he breathing on my soul, and causing me to “receive the Holy Ghost?” Is he endowing me with tender compassion for the souls of men; and with a deep sense of my own unfitness, and earnest desire to be “sanctified, and made meet for the Master’s use?” In the progress of my education, am I going “bound in the spirit,” with the love of Christ burning in my heart, and constraining me; rendering me willing cheerfully to suffer poverty, contempt, and hatred of all men, for his name’s sake; willing, if possible, to risk my own salvation in winning others to Christ? What scriptures have directed and encouraged me to this work? In what form doth Jesus seem to be giving me my commission? – whether “to open the eyes of the unconverted, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and an inheritance among them that are sanctified” – or to “go, make the heart of this people fat, and their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert and be healed?” What promise of Christ’s presence with, and assistance in, my work, have I received from above? What is mine end in my advances towards this work? Dare I appeal to Him that “searcheth my heart and trieth my reins,” to him who will quickly be my judge, that I “seek not great things for myself;” that I “covet no man’s silver or gold or apparel;” that I “seek not theirs, but them;” that “neither of men seek I glory;” that I “look not on mine own things,” but on the things of Christ; that I seek not mine own honour, but the honour of him that sends me?
Have I considered diligently what is before me, or am I running blindfold on the tremendous charge? Have I considered the nature and circumstances of the ministerial work – that therein I am to be an “ambassador for Christ,” to beseech perishing souls on the brink of hell to be “reconciled unto God;” a steward of the mysteries and manifold grace of God – that at the infinite hazard of my soul, it is required of me to be faithful – that in my ministrations, I with “all humility and many tears” serve the Lord with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, keep back no part of the counsel of God; no instruction, no reproof, no encouragement – that I “testify repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ;” not moved with reproach, persecution, hunger, or nakedness; nor even “count my life dear unto me, if so I may finish my course with joy; ready not to be bound only, but to die for the name of the Lord Jesus;” willing rather to be ruined with Christ, than to reign with emperors – that I labour with much fear and trembling, determined to know, to glory in, and to make known, nothing but “Jesus Christ and him crucified;” “not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, as a man-pleaser, but with great plainness of speech, in demonstration of the Spirit and with power;” speaking “the things freely given to me of God by his Spirit, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth, comparing spiritual things with spiritual, and having the mind of Christ;” “always triumphing in Christ, and making manifest the savour of his knowledge in every place; being to God a sweet savour of Christ in them that are saved, and in them that perish; as of sincerity, as of God in the sight of God, speaking in Christ;” through the mercy of God, “not fainting, but renouncing the hidden things of dishonesty; not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully, but by the manifestation of the truth to every man’s conscience in the sight of God;” “not preaching myself, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and myself a servant to the church for Jesus’ sake; always bearing about the dying of the Lord, that his life may be made manifest in me?” “Knowing the terror of the Lord,” and the judgment to come, I must “persuade men, making myself manifest to God and in their consciences.” Constrained by the love of Christ, I must labour in every way to bring sinners to the Saviour, “travailing in birth till Christ be formed in them;” “jealous over them with a godly jealousy, and espousing them as chaste virgins to Christ.” I must “take heed to my ministry which I have received of the Lord, that I fulfil it;” giving myself “to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine; taking heed to myself and to the doctrine, that I may save both myself and them that hear me;” “watching for their souls, as one that must give an account;” “rightly dividing the word of truth, and giving every man his portion in due season;” faithfully “warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom, that I may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus;” and warring, not after the flesh, nor with weapons that are carnal, “but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds, and casting down imaginations, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.” Having Christ Jesus “for the end of my conversation,” and “holding fast the form of sound words in faith and love which is in him,” I must “take heed unto myself, and to all the flock over which the Holy Ghost hath made me an overseer, to feed the church of God which he hath purchased with his own blood” – “taking the oversight thereof not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; neither as being a lord over God’s heritage, but being an ensample to the flock,” “exercised unto godliness,” holy, just, and unblamable; “an example to the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in faith, in purity;” “fleeing youthful lusts, and following righteousness, faith, charity, peace; avoiding foolish and unlearned questions; not striving, but being gentle to all men – in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves” – “avoiding perverse disputings” and worldly-mindedness, as most dangerous snares; fighting the good fight of faith, and laying hold on eternal life” – “preaching the word, being instant in season and out of season, reproving, rebuking, exhorting, with all long-suffering and doctrine” – keeping the trust of gospel truth and office committed to me and “committing the same to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.” And, in fine, to try false teachers; to rebuke before all such as sin openly; to restore such as have been overtaken in a fault, in the spirit of meekness; and, having compassion on them, to “pull them out of the fire, hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back