Patrick Gillespie on the comfort of God accepting our unsuccessful endeavours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
It may be for the comfort of many, whose hearts are sad throughout the Kingdom, for the breaking of the honest party that would fain have turned away the Lord’s wrath. I know there are many who are glad and rejoice at it, which is a black mark to them: But I know also there are many whose hearts are smitten with sorrow, to whom (I say) this is ground of comfort, that though the endeavours of that honest party have been ineffectual, yet their persons and service have been accepted, and are in high estimation with the LORD. This may comfort under the sadness of heart and reproach of men that they lie under, and under all the sufferings they endure, and against the wrath of the Lord that appears to be not yet turned away.

Reason: the Lord renders to every man according to his works, Rom. 2:6, and not according to every construction put upon it, not according to the success it hath, therefore let the broken forces, and the broken hearted who sympathize with them, comfort themselves in this, the acceptation and commendation of Christ. There shall be glory and honour, and immortality and eternal life put upon them, when indignation, wrath, tribulation and anguish shall be upon the contentious who do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness. Josiah is accepted and commended for his works, when the Lord’s wrath is not turned away.

For the reference, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back