Patristic Fathers' Apostolic Succession

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaalach03

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi brothers and sisters!

Wondering if anyone could give a concise summary of what the early patristic fathers believed about apostolic succession.

It is clear to me that the apostles themselves did not believe in apostolic succession (in other words, there is no indication in the New Testament from the apostles or the Lord Jesus that the Twelve were to pass on their authority to other individuals). Yet the patristic fathers seem to indicate some kind of adherence to the doctrine.

Was this merely a succession of doctrine, or more fully the authority of the apostles themselves?

Thanks!

Irenaues is generally considered the fathercof the dctrine
Was this merely a succession of doctrine, or more fully the authority of the apostles themselves?

I'm not sure how you're defining authority here. Apostolic succession as claimed by its major progenitors like Irenaeus and Tertullian was essentially doctrinal, although both written and as handed down by tradition. Any claimed apostolic authority only meant remaining true to what was continuously held and preserved in the orthodox churches since apostolic times, via a succession of appointed bishops and elders. In other words, there was no claim to be authorized to come up with their own teachings. Rather, apostolic succession was seen as a bulwark against the innovations of heretics, especially various Gnostics.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Phil.

By authority I mean this: Did the patristic fathers view themselves as able to make judgments on par with and apart from the New Testament?

Augustine says (On the Trinity, 3.2),
"Do not be willing to yield to my writings as to the canonical Scriptures; but in these, when you have discovered even what you did not previously believe, believe it unhesitatingly; while in those, unless you have understood with certainty what you did not before hold as certain, be unwilling to hold it fast: so I say to the latter, Do not be willing to amend my writings by your own opinion or disputation, but from the divine text, or by unanswerable reason. If you apprehend anything of truth in them, its being there does not make it mine, but by understanding and loving it, let it be both yours and mine; but if you convict anything of falsehood, though it have once been mine, in that I was guilty of the error, yet now by avoiding it let it be neither yours nor mine."

It's also helpful to remember these men were in the midst of rising heresies and we trained by men who were direct disciples of the Apostles themselves. What they meant by "apostolic succession" is far different than the later Roman doctrine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back