Paul Manata's Debate in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianLanier

Puritan Board Freshman
Just wondering how many, if any, of you are going to it? I am going to try to attend along with some others.

This is what Paul emailed me:

April 22; 6:00pm NO ADMISSION

Here's the format:

Resolution: Does The Christian God Exist?

Paul Manata versus Derek Sansone

Location: North City Presbyterian Chruch 11717 Poway Road, Poway CA 92064
Time: 6:00 p.m.

Pastor Gene Cook: moderator

I.
Paul open-15 min
Derek open-15 min
Paul cross-5 min
Derek Cross-5min
Paul rebuttal-8 min
Derek Rebuttal-8 min.

II.(inverted with shorter times)
Derek 10-min
Paul 10-min
Derek cross-3 min
Paul cross-3 min
Derek Rebuttal-5 min
Paul Rebuttal-5 min.

III. (closing)
Derek Close -10 min
Paul Close-10 min

(10 min. intermission for moderator to gather questions)

IV. Questions and Answers ( Paul and Derek alternate. Two minutes per answer with a one minute option for rebuttal).

It will probably be recorded and hopefully broadcast on the web. Paul also said he will be on Gene Cook's radio show tomorrow night discussing atheism and the burden of proof. Gene Cook's radio show can be found at http://www.unchainedradio.com

[Edited on 2-22-2005 by BrianLanier]

Originally posted by puritansailor
Will it be recorded?
I was just going to ask that - you beat me to it. It would be neat to be able to hear the debate, for sure.

Where is Poway, CA

Where is Poway?

I have a feeling it's too far for me to drive in this weather.

Originally posted by tdowns007
Where is Poway?

I have a feeling it's too far for me to drive in this weather.

It is N of San Diego and South of Oceanside. Who knows what the weather will be like then.

I wasn\'t paying attention.

I was thinking it was today, Feb 22. Now there's a chance I can make it, an afternoon surf session down that way, and see Paul debate that night. Sweet.

The show was very good. Paul and Gene talked about the claim that Christians have the burden of proof, since they are the ones making the non-neutral claims. They discussed how from our worldview, atheists have the burden of proof since God is plain to all, and so by saying we have the burden of proof, they are already saying our worldview is false, and thus are not being neutral.

Paul also gave an example I found to be quite helpful and witty, which is that if an atheist is saying you have the burden to prove that God exists, tell him that you're an a-atheist, and that you don't believe that atheists truly exist, since everyone knows of God though some suppress that knowledge. Ask him how he can prove to you that atheists exist, to which he will probably respond, "Well what do you mean, it's obvious. I mean, you're talking to one right now." Then you can say, "OK then, I say the same thing about God, the proof for his existence is everywhere, are you blind?" The point was that from each worldview (Christian and non-Christian), the burden of proof is on the other side, and so by anyone assuming that they can "kick off their shoes" and watch the other side play defensive, they are already denying the other side.

Craig Sowder also called in at the end, and they talked about the sinfulness of Classical and Evidential methods, since even though their adherants are not sinning intentionally, it is still a twisting of biblical truth.

Paul, if you're reading this, thanks for speaking on Unchained Radio tonight, I really enjoyed it.

Chris:

This doesn't make sense. First standing squarely on the evidences and then saying that Evidentialism is sinful. You know, this is serious stuff, making such a charge. Especially in an area where no church has ever made a pronouncement concerning sin, much less the Bible itself.

Originally posted by JohnV
Chris:

This doesn't make sense. First standing squarely on the evidences and then saying that Evidentialism is sinful. You know, this is serious stuff, making such a charge. Especially in an area where no church has ever made a pronouncement concerning sin, much less the Bible itself.

John, I have replied to your statement in another thread.

Paul emailed me to update the time of the debate. The new start time is 7:30 pm. Just wanted to update all of you in case any of you can make it.

Has this now a been made available to download (or a transcript made available)? (Sure, its only 12 hours after the event but I'm interested ;) )

Matthew

[Edited on 4-22-2005 by Matthew Glover]

Originally posted by Matthew Glover
Has this now a been made available to download (or a transcript made available)? (Sure, its only 12 hours after the event but I'm interested ;) )

Matthew

[Edited on 4-22-2005 by Matthew Glover]

Well, seeing how you are on the other side of the world, it makes sense that it would've happened twelve hours ago. However, according to my calculations, we are still 2 hrs. away from Go Time!

openairboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back