Paul Manata's Debate in April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its too bad we couldn't plant somebody in there with a cell phone and have a massive puritanboard conference call.

I wonder if the judge had to put a gag order in on this one. If Paul's blog didn't mention the debate, then I would definitely believe that was the case. Paul says audio will be up soon.

openairboy

I was there...

Let's just say the debate was a CLEAR victory for Paul. Especially interesting was the cross examination from Paul to Derek. It just seemed that Derek was squirming while trying to answer even simple questions. I was glad I went. I met Derek and he actually seem quite nice, which I was not expecting from reading some of his stuff on the internet. Did anyone else go?

Originally posted by Paul manata
I'll let everyone objectively judge for themselves how the debate was once I have it up. For now, you all can listem to the guy I debated give his brief analysis of the debate.

http://www.hellboundalleee.com/

click on archives and then it it the first show (upper left) titled: presuppositionalism part 3 with Derek Sansone.

Remember what he says and then when I have the debate up ask yourself what world he was living in to say what he said.

Check this out; it's a veiled reference to your debate:

http://www.vincentcheung.com/2005/04/25/the-true-story-of-ah-q/

A Christian had just won a debate against an atheist, but now the atheist is misrepresenting what happened. Of course, this is nothing new. The following is a revised and expanded version of an email message. In it, I refer to a character from Chinese literature to illustrate what many non-Christians do after losing a debate.

Originally posted by Paul manata
It's all ready but our sound guy went on vaction. he will not be back until sunday night. It should be up on our website on Monday or Tuesday. There should also be a number to the church if anyone wants to obtain a DVD copy. I will post a link when it is up and ready.

Whoohoo!Thanks Paul!:banana:

Thanks Paul. I just got finished listening. The debate played out like a much younger "Bahnsen vs Stein". I say much younger mostly due to the immaturity of Derek throughout in both demeanor and argument. At times this became quite amusing. A couple such highlights include his stumbling remarks in file 15 about absolute truth and his comments about logic in his answer in file 29.

Paul, you most definitely won this debate. Your calm and humbly focused moments throughout his quirks were my favorites. My only constructive criticism is that perhaps you went a little easy on him at times (in showing the pure ignorance of his notions, that is). Then again, at his level of intellect and maturity I'm not sure how much this would have helped. He seemed nothing more than a silly schoolchild with his fingers in his ears and poking out his tongue suggesting that you can't make him believe anything. So be it. We will pray for God to chastise his understanding and grant repentance. Time to move on to someone with something more interesting to repeatedly say than, "I just don't see what the big deal is?" Upon that redundant suggestion, he should not have even shown up.

:2cents:

Very good debate, Paul. You did an excellent job. I pray that God will use your efforts in the debate to bring many to himself.

I thought Derek hit the nail on the head with his answer to his last question. He was asked (I'm paraphrasing) what evidence or proof would he need to see for him to believe in God. Inspite of the importance he places on sensory evidence, he said he would need a supernatural experience in his life for him to believe. So true. I pray that God would reveal himself to Derek.

At the end, your pastor expressed his desire for everbody there to know Christ and invited those who might have questions about Jesus or Christianity to feel free to ask him or other Christians afterwards. I was just curious how inquisitive the people were afterwards?

Keep up the good work,
Bob

[Edited on 5-3-2005 by blhowes]

Derek Sansone didn't seem prepared for this at all. Perhaps he is just a poor debater when it comes to oral argument, as opposed to written argument. In any case, he was almost laughable, and having a very worthy opponent didn't make it any easier.

In any case, Paul, you spanked him like Little Orphan Annie by Daddy Warbucks.

To pile on...I finished listening to it...It's pretty bad when it makes Eddie Tabash look like an incredible intelligent debater...

Sarcasm aside, Derek Sansone didn't perform well at all. I find it all the more amusing after having heard his interview on the athiest radio show. It would definitely be a bonus to see the DVD to see the bald show down!

Paul, plans to transcribe this?

Paul-

Excellent job at the debate! I was SO bummed that I couldn't be there, I ended up having to work and the boss man didn't let me take a sick day (since I told him that I wasn't going to be sick, but was wondering if he would let me have the day off anyway).

I would love to get you up here in San Luis Obispo to debate at Campus Crusade for Christ @ Cal Poly's annual "Veritas forum", which includes a "Does God exist" debate. Last year Anthony Flew was the atheist participant (who, by the way, recently adopted a theistic worldview). Anyway, I'm not a student anymore, and even if you had the time to come up I'm not sure if Campus Crusade would be willing to loosen its hold on the JP Moreland / Lee Strobel / Josh McDowell evidentialist method. I might give it a try though, it would not be my first attempt at introducing presuppositionalism to the Christian community at Cal Poly SLO. Anyway, just a thought. I really enjoyed listening to your debate and thought you did a very professional, courteous, and overall EXCELLENT job.

The person that Paul debated will be on the radio tonight with Gene Cook (the moderator of the debate as well as a person that has debated Derek before.) Should be good. Something tells me that Paul might even call in...

Join us tonight for The Narrow Mind. Tonight my guest and will be Atheist, Derek Sansone. We will be discussing atheism and Christianity.

The Narrow Mind can be heard at live at 6:00pm (PST) http://live.str3am.com:2540/listen.pls

We will also try to take a few calls at 800-466-1873.

TNM can also be heard live on the following stations:
9:00 PM (EST) WLMR am1450, Chattanooga TN.
9:00 PM (EST) WSKY am 1230, Asheville, NC.
7:00 PM (MT) KXKS am1190, Albuquerque, NM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back