Paul's approach to correcting the Corinthians (Ashbel Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Commenting on Paul’s method of dealing with the Corinthians, Ashbel Green said:

He addresses them, nevertheless, with the utmost tenderness and affection, commends them freely for whatever was praiseworthy among them, and takes occasion, throughout the epistle, to mingle much important doctrinal truth, and much pious sentiment, with all that he says. But he makes no compromise with their erroneous opinions and unlawful practices.

Ashbel Green, Christ crucified, the characteristick of Apostolick preaching: a sermon delivered in the First Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia, at the opening of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, May 19, 1825 (Philadelphia: Clark & Raser, 1825), p. 4.

I'm about to start this:

Lectures on the Shorter Catechism of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, Addressed to Youth by Ashbel Green; 2 volumes (Philadelphia: Presbyterian Board of Publication, 1841)

I read it some years ago and found it to be both edifying and interesting. Time to read it again.

By the way, I think the youth of his time were much better-educated than some of our youth today. Green does not talk down to them at all, which makes the book just as stimulating for adults as for the youth - at least the youth of Green's time.

I'm about to start this:

Lectures on the Shorter Catechism of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, Addressed to Youth by Ashbel Green; 2 volumes (Philadelphia: Presbyterian Board of Publication, 1841)

I read it some years ago and found it to be both edifying and interesting. Time to read it again.

By the way, I think the youth of his time were much better-educated than some of our youth today. Green does not talk down to them at all, which makes the book just as stimulating for adults as for the youth - at least the youth of Green's time.

I was going to bring this work up, too. I had never heard of it (or him) until a month or so ago. I will have to read it one day.

(By the way, I wouldn’t be surprised if the youth of Ashbel’s day were better educated than many adults in ours.)

I was going to bring this work up, too. I had never heard of it (or him) until a month or so ago. I will have to read it one day.

(By the way, I wouldn’t be surprised if the youth of Ashbel’s day were better educated than many adults in ours.)

His dates, by the way: Ashbel Green (1762-1848)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back