Paul's Opponents in Philippians 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwarzeneggerchia

Puritan Board Freshman
In Philippians 3, It is observed that Paul is giving a warning against the incipiency of the Judaizing of their faith. But does Paul address more than one clearly defined opponent here? Because it appears to flow so coherently, it is as if he clearly addresses one (definable) opponent, but mentions the rest generically. But I have been told that there are 2. Judaizers and Gnostic perfectionist (v. 13-16)

The Philippian church has been around and is well-established by the time Paul writes them his letter. The impression he has of that church is that it has a lot going for it, and he has much to be encouraged by them. I don't think that Paul is writing to the Philippians about a whole lot of doctrinal problems, incipient or otherwise. "For me it is not tedious to write the same things to you--it's for your safety." Same things as what? As what he taught them from the beginning.

It is reasonable that he should appeal to their faith (which he and his associates were responsible for grounding them and teaching them) as the core of their common identity, and that which should bind them together in unity. And that unity should help them overcome their disagreements--disagreements which the devil can and does exploit, and by which discontent and false doctrine enters in.

By the time Paul got to Philippi, he'd had his Galatians experience, and he knew his churches faced immediate opposition from both the synagogue without, and Judaizers within. When he says to the Philippians, "We are the circumcision!" it is a reminder of something he taught them a part of his basic gospel presentation, Christianity 101. "Beware" is an appeal for alertness to the devil's schemes, more than a specific warning. Judaizers are an ever-present threat in that 1st century context.

In other words, these mainly Gentile believers have this glorious Faith, which they have--against every human expectation--inherited. They inherited it, instead of the physical seed of Abraham. Of course there are Jewish Christians too, but all together as one body by faith they are the church, the called-out ones. The problem in Philippi is disunity. There is no better way of restoring "unit cohesion" than a reminder of 1) what binds you together positively, and 2) what drives you together as defense against your common foes.

It is possible that Paul might after v12 also think about a "Gnostic" threat, or some other kind, but I don't think he's self-consciously working against this and that strain of alien philosophy and religion to get his point across. Near the end of the chapter he says, "Look to your faithful leaders, and maintain unit discipline." (Philippi was a Roman colony, populated by many former legionnaires. There is a good deal of soldier-imagery used in this letter, I suspect for that reason). I just think that some interpreters may be so eager to figure out the particulars behind the letter, they over-read the slightest detail as written against agent-X, when a more general understanding is suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back