Paul's Sermon on Mars Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
How much of what Paul preached in his sermon on Mars Hill is taught in the Old Testament? I was just wondering because a lot of people think that Paul was doing natural theology when he was at Mars Hill. Even though he did not quote the Old Testament, he knew what the Old Testament taught about God.

There is very definitely theology that stands behind the message Paul preaches, so for example:
-- there is one family of humanity,
-- men in general are very ignorant of God,
-- idols are very foolish things,
-- men can be brought out of that state of ignorance,
-- God holds all men accountable,
-- There is a particular servant-king of Israel, upon whom God will/has conferred authority to Judge the world
-- The blessed One will vanquish death itself, he will return from beyond the point of no-return

Representative texts:
Gen.7:19, 21-23, "And the waters prevailed so mightily on the earth that all the high mountains under the whole heaven were covered... And all flesh died that moved on the earth, birds, livestock, beasts, all swarming creatures that swarm on the earth, and all mankind. Everything on the dry land in whose nostrils was the breath of life died. He blotted out every living thing that was on the face of the ground, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens. They were blotted out from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those who were with him in the ark."

Gen.10:1, 32, "These are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. Sons were born to them after the flood.... These are the clans of the sons of Noah, according to their genealogies, in their nations, and from these the nations spread abroad on the earth after the flood."

Ps.9:17, "The wicked shall return to Sheol, all the nations that forget God."

2Chr.20:6, "And he said, "O LORD, God of our fathers, are you not God in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. In your hand are power and might, so that none is able to withstand you."

Jer.14:22, "Are there any among the false gods of the nations that can bring rain? Or can the heavens give showers? Are you not he, O LORD our God? We set our hope on you, for you do all these things."

Isa 44:14-20, "He cuts down cedars, or he chooses a cypress tree or an oak and lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest. He plants a cedar and the rain nourishes it. Then it becomes fuel for a man. He takes a part of it and warms himself; he kindles a fire and bakes bread. Also he makes a god and worships it; he makes it an idol and falls down before it. Half of it he burns in the fire. Over the half he eats meat; he roasts it and is satisfied. Also he warms himself and says, "Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire!" And the rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, and falls down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says, "Deliver me, for you are my god!" They know not, nor do they discern, for he has shut their eyes, so that they cannot see, and their hearts, so that they cannot understand. No one considers, nor is there knowledge or discernment to say, "Half of it I burned in the fire; I also baked bread on its coals; I roasted meat and have eaten. And shall I make the rest of it an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?" He feeds on ashes; a deluded heart has led him astray, and he cannot deliver himself or say, "Is there not a lie in my right hand?"

Ps.22:27, "All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you."

Ps.59:5, "You, LORD God of hosts, are God of Israel. Rouse yourself to punish all the nations; spare none of those who treacherously plot evil. Selah."

Ps.72:11, "May all kings fall down before him, all nations serve him!"

Ps.89:50, "Remember, O Lord, how your servants are mocked, and how I bear in my heart the insults of all the many nations."

Is.34:2, 5, "For the LORD is enraged against all the nations, and furious against all their host; he has devoted them to destruction, has given them over for slaughter.... For my sword has drunk its fill in the heavens; behold, it descends for judgment upon Edom, upon the people I have devoted to destruction."

Jon.2:6, "I went down to the moorings of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God." (cf. Mt.12:40)

Hos.6:2, "After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight."​

Certainly, it is in the light of messianic fulfillment that Paul is able to proclaim Christ to the nations. Those Israelites rejecting Jesus as Christ remain blind to his accomplishment, even in light of the OT. The OT focus of expectation is bound to be turned to an alternate end to facilitate avoiding Jesus-as-Hope.

Paul does not begin pulling out the OT, to argue with Greeks who may not consider it. Scripture would still bear in itself its own authoritative marks, but Paul makes no "prophetic appeal." Paul's authority is significantly personal, not entirely referential, and grounded in his own appointment to ministry by his King and sending Agent.

I would say, however, that if he had been asked what "Hebrew poets" had said, in parallel to Paul's references to Greek poets, he could have pointed to the above texts, and begun to explain therefrom. I do not doubt that he did so (began Bible study) among those who professed an interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back