PB navigation and display problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Presbyterian

Puritan Board Doctor
Okay, I've been having this problem for over a week now. When I visit the PB site it is incredibly slow loading, and it seems to only be this site. It takes up to a minute after I click on a thread link for the thread to load. In addition many graphics refuse to display (including smilies, avatars, and navigation buttons).

It happens on both my laptop and my desktop. I have not changed any settings on either computer. I have updated the firmware on my router, but that wouldn't affect my laptop when using it at work, because it is just as slow or if possible slower using the connection at work.

I can visit other graphics intensive sites like foxnews.com, cnn.com, yahoo.com, or ebay.com and these sites load and navigate normally. I am only experiencing a slow down on the PB.

What could be causing this?
dizzy.gif

Some of us are having similar problems. Rich is checking into it, in his copious free time.

What are you using for virus/internet security software? Alot of the virus software now on the market attempts to rate sites (safe/not safe/not sure) and that might make a difference.

Just thought it might be something of note to help figure things out.

Some of us are having similar problems. Rich is checking into it, in his copious free time.

Glad to know that it's not just me.

However, I am a bit distressed to discover just how impatient I've become due to my high speed internet usage. How quickly we begin to take things for granted. :eek:

What are you using for virus/internet security software? Alot of the virus software now on the market attempts to rate sites (safe/not safe/not sure) and that might make a difference.

I use Bsafe Online Security for both internet security and antivirus. But I have had that in place long before I even was aware of the PB.

I use Bsafe Online Security for both internet security and antivirus. But I have had that in place long before I even was aware of the PB.

Doesn't necessarily matter. Your conclusion is generally reliable, but the most common cause of this problem is going to be 3rd party related. And especially with virus/malware software, huge performance fluctuations can be traced directly to vendor pattern updates, algorithm changes, etc. PB is pulling up very well for me.

This may also clear up with a new algorithm/pattern update from the virus/malware software provider.

Hope this helps.

Right now is a bad guage. It's when the backups are scheduled for the server. Traffic is light(er) this time of day so it's scheduled now.

I have been noticing some spikes in server activity and am trying to work it with my free time (such as it is).

Right now is a bad guage. It's when the backups are scheduled for the server. Traffic is light(er) this time of day so it's scheduled now.

I have been noticing some spikes in server activity and am trying to work it with my free time (such as it is).

Your free time is gone, there Mister. You now have 4 kids. Welcome to the club.

I think most PB'ers have the notifier alarm gizmo that Bob V. is selling. It notifies them when he's online. I'll bet that's when your spikes are occurring. Just an edumacated guess, though.

:lol:

Still slow at this hour of the day, as it was earlier this morning. I don't think it's time related, at least not on my end. (Just an FYI update - I know Rich has truly important things to deal with right now that don't envolve the PB).

Still slow now? Mine varies from quick to slow depending on different times.

Is it always slow for you?

It started about a week and a half ago. But since then it has pretty much been slow all the time. I experience the same result whether at home on my desktop or at work on my laptop.

I've been using Firefox (instead of IE) this evening and have noticed some slight increase in speed, though it is still not a fast as it used to be. Also, with FF all the graphics load. Perhaps I just have an IE problem.

It is for me.

Me too. Literally 4 minutes to load a thread just a few minutes ago. Then the next one loaded in seconds. The smilies I've almost given up on because they usually take about a minute to load. It's very strange.

But I'm about to try firefox again because now I'm starting to have problems with other sites too.

Even slower in firefox. And the images take a long time to load, even things like font icons haven't loaded yet.

I'm getting a headache from the smilieys jumping slowly into view. 'nite, everyone.

I don't know if it's slow for you guys right now but it is really quick in my browser at work but I'm starting to wonder if it's because my work computer blocks some scripts.

I'm working on trying to re-host with another company that provides a bit better managed hosting.

For what it's worth, I've noticed a decrease in performance recently too and have been trying to figure out what's causing it but have had trouble putting my finger on it.

I'm using Firefox at work this morning and it seems a bit faster, by comparison, to load a thread, but it is still slow. The graphics are still very slow in loading. I gave up on IE this morning after waiting about two minutes for the home page to load.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a DNS issue. I don't understand how some people can experience a completely different experience than I. I never have a 2 minute load time.

Very odd.

Do me a favor and see if anything changes. I just disabled a plugin that I'm suspecting might be causing some of the issue.

Rich, don't put too much stock in my complaints. I just tried loading lexis.com, which is usually pretty fast--it took over a minute.

Confounding variables on my end.

Still incredibly slow in IE, but faster in FF (though not as quick as I'm used to). Most smilies, etc. don't load in IE and they come in very slowly still with FF.

I hope this is helping narrow things down. I don't me to be the "squeaky wheel".

I have found the PB to be almost too slow to use for at least 2 weeks now. It takes minutes to load up each thread and at least a minute or more to get a reply screen up.

I just noticed that for some reason, IE keeps checking to see if this is a phishing website. There's a little warning that keeps coming up. When the scan is done, the page loads.

I wonder if there was some MS update that has reset security for some of us.

Never mind. It seems entirely random. I disabled the phishing filter and there was no change. Then a few minutes later things were loading fast. Now back to very slow.

I'm out of time for any further experiments for today. :confused:

Never mind. It seems entirely random. I disabled the phishing filter and there was no change. Then a few minutes later things were loading fast. Now back to very slow.

I'm out of time for any further experiments for today. :confused:
This is my experience as well now.

Here has been my experience when it is slow. It seems to load the top part of the page and then hang for a bit while it's trying to load the rest of the page.

Similar experience for others? Different? I'm trying to find any offsite things that might be causing this (i.e. I removed the Amazon "Featured Book" thing to see if that's part of the problem).

If anybody is really smart at this stuff can you check the page source of the threads and figure out if there are any scripts or other things that you believe might be causing the sluggishness. I think I might have ruled out server performance as the factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back