PB navigation and display problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's working much better now with FireFox, still abysmal with IE. I've tried disabling script functions, etc., with no help.

To make matters worse, now IE is hanging up on many sites and then locking. I have to use the "end task" function to get out of it. I wonder if there is some kind of virus or script hitting some of us. I have three different applications for virus protection (McAfee is mandatory by work, the others I run manually).

When IE was working, it would hang on this thread the most--that is, it would not load for minutes. But if I restated IE, the other threads would load (a bit slower than normal, but at least there was progress).

I'm not sure if I can add any more data, I hope this gives a hint at what is going on.

An addition: I should mention that Firefox works, but I just tried other threads and it is taking over a minute to load. An improvement over not loading, certainly, but more like the old bulletin board days with those blinky modems that were measured in bauds.

I've been using FF all day and it does seem to be getting faster at loading the threads. The smilies and other graphics though still pop in one at a time. They used to just all show up more or less at the same instant.

I also just checked IE again a few minutes ago and it is still incredibly slow. I haven't experienced it hanging though.

If anybody is really smart at this stuff can you check the page source of the threads and figure out if there are any scripts or other things that you believe might be causing the sluggishness. I think I might have ruled out server performance as the factor.

Would it be helpful if I copied and pasted the source code to a word document and emailed or pm'ed it to you?

If anybody is really smart at this stuff can you check the page source of the threads and figure out if there are any scripts or other things that you believe might be causing the sluggishness. I think I might have ruled out server performance as the factor.

Would it be helpful if I copied and pasted the source code to a word document and emailed or pm'ed it to you?

heh. I just tried that and it's 99 pages for this thread.

I wonder if the tags are causing problems. I noticed a subtle decrease when they became functional. Of course, that was about the time the quotes started appearing on the home page too. It could be a number of things.

heh. I just tried that and it's 99 pages for this thread.

I wonder if the tags are causing problems. I noticed a subtle decrease when they became functional. Of course, that was about the time the quotes started appearing on the home page too. It could be a number of things.

99 pages.
mind-blowing.gif
That's a lot of code to sort through. Any idea what one would be looking for to spot a potential problem?

I was trying to post around 4:00 p.m. EST. Response time could have been measured in minutes. I worked a SuDoKu puzzle in between while waiting for the pages I needed to load.

Can a few of you that are having this problem do me a favor.

Can you download the Opera browser: Opera browser: Home page

See if it's any faster there.

Also, could you tell me if the forum is faster using the Mobile or the Mobi theme?

Right now performance for me is pretty snappy.

Also, could you tell me if the forum is faster using the Mobile or the Mobi theme?

Okay...

I'm using Opera now. The threads load faster than with IE and pretty much the same as they do with FF (though still not as fast as I'm used to them loading in the past), but it still takes a very long time for the graphics to load (one at a time). Also, there were a couple of code strings on the home page when I first signed in.

I also checked the Mobile and Mobi themes. They load fast no matter where I navigated on the site.

Hope this is helping.

Rich, I don't have time to download Opera right now, but I can say that Firefox is working fine, just like the old days, at this moment.

The themes don't seem to make a difference.

IE still doesn't do very well, for whatever reason. Trying to open new threads is a bit slow and graphics are even slower.

OK, I downloaded Opera. It's actually slower than Firefox at this moment. It's tolerable, but the smilies on the right of the comment box take about 10 seconds to load.

When I clicked on the "more" for smilies, it took 35 seconds for all of them to load.

Sorry to keep jabberin', Rich, but I noticed one difference between IE and Opera right now. Opera saves the images so they don't have to reload. I went to a different thread that I hadn't visited with this browser, clicked on reply and then on "more" for the smilies. They loaded instantly.

IE has to do it all over again, reloading the images every time you tell it to do something.

I noticed the same thing Vic. I just removed a couple of things that load with every thread that are superfluous. Please let me know any change in performance.

BTW, I removed the tags hack. It's going to be rolled out in VB 3.7.0 and the VB version is incompatible with the installed hack.

I noticed the same thing Vic. I just removed a couple of things that load with every thread that are superfluous. Please let me know any change in performance.

BTW, I removed the tags hack. It's going to be rolled out in VB 3.7.0 and the VB version is incompatible with the installed hack.

Things work pretty well now, even with IE. :up:

Performance has improved some. When I select a thread and open it in a new tab (as I do) each thread takes about 30 secs to open as opposed to 1-2 mins a week ago.

Still slow though!

I'm beginning to suspect that the slowness has to do with the fact that I allow images in signatures. I'm going to remove that and see what happens.

Well, it took 1 minute and 8 seconds to load the thread page and 53 seconds to fully open the "Reply to Thread" page. On up side, all of the graphics are visible with the exception of one smilie. That is with IE.

Almost the exact same results with Opera.

FF is still "almost normal" and all of the graphics load 100%.

Happening again. 10:47 Pm EST and it's taking forever to load. I had to use Mobi in order to get the PB to load. Even then it's taking forever.

I'm now beginning to get a little lag when first loading a thread. But it is nothing like it was before. FF and IE are loading about the same.

Thanks for all your efforts on our behalf, Rich!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back