PCA GA at Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom

Puritan Board Doctor
The 2009 PCA General Assembly will meet at Disney World.

Why on earth would that be appropriate?

Perhaps we can schedule it to coincide with Gay Pride Day there.

At least Sproul won't have to travel far.

That's just about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Why the PCA can't be sensible (and make GA affordable for REs!) and hold it at a college campus like the OPC does? It really is a shame. I never went to a GA, since we felt on session that a thousand or fifteen hundred or so $ for our pastor to go was money enough.

You have to take it a little easy on Disney as far as the Gay Day activities go.

I don't like those days and pray that they would end, but Disney doesn't sponsor, nor endorse them. They are organized outside of Disney the company itself.

Disney DOES sponsor some Christian activities like the Night of Joy that most people never hear about.

Don't get me wrong-- Disney does do some bad, but they are portrayed worse than they really are in some Christian circles.

But I don't know how appropriate a GA would be. And I can't think of where they could have it on the Disney properties. They don't have a lot of assembly type buildings there.

we felt on session that a thousand or fifteen hundred or so $ for our pastor to go was money enough.

It is unfortunate that some would not be able to attend due to the cost. Your session probably made the wise decision to not attend.

I cannot see how it is appropriate in any way. It saddens me. Not so much that 'Disney is bad' but that it is associating a solemn assembly with triviality. But - it is none of my business. I am sure plenty within the PCA will make some noise over this.

Either doing what the OPC and RPCNA does and meeting on a College Campus or doing what we do in the ARP, have a purpose built Conference Center for our annual meeting, is a much more sensible and fair option than the flat out extravagance that the PCA seems to be putting on.

Do families of elders normally go to GA?

Last year, one of our two GA delegates (teaching elders) brought his wife. The teaching elder attended and there were separate programs and activities for his wife, who also attended.

I'm seeing on the GA web site many "locations TBA" (to be determined)-

Are we certain it will be on the Disney World grounds?

Let me also add that, at present, about 1 out of every 7 members of the PCA resides in Florida. Locations of GA tend to be chosen for convenience of travel as that factor seems to greatly affect attendance.

I won't mind it so much if I get to see RC in a pair of MM ears singing, "M-I-C...K-E-Y.....M-O-U-S-E!"

I should have said that I had only heard this, but it was at church from a guy who knows a few folks closely involved with GA, that he'd heard it from them.

Perhaps it was only speculation, and if so I apologize for spreading false info, but it was not presented to me as rumor, but fact, and the man is an ordained PCA Deacon.

If this is something not yet set in stone, my hope is that it is rejected out of hand.

Last edited:
I won't mind it so much if I get to see RC in a pair of MM ears singing, "M-I-C...K-E-Y.....M-O-U-S-E!"

I should have said that I had only heard this, but it was at church from a guy who knows a few folks closely involved with GA, that he'd heard it from them, and wondering if he could make elder by then so his family could go..... Gotta love my PCA.

Perhaps it was only speculation, and if so I apologize for spreading false info, but it was not presented to me as rumor, but fact, and the man is an ordained PCA Deacon.

If this is something not yet set in stone, my hope is that it is rejected out of hand.

You can always sing "C-A-L...V-I-N .... R-U-L-E-S!"

To be charitable, how do we know they are meeting at Disney? Orlando is a pretty good sized town, and the PCA administrative site only says that they are meeting in Orlando. Orlando has to be cheaper than say New York or San Francisco ....

Too Many Queens in the Magic Kingdom

My wife and I had the misfortune of showing up at Disneyland last fall and discovering that it was "Gay Days." We still went, and it perhaps wasn't as bad as some could imagine, but needless to say we found it inappropriate. When I investigated later, I found that it was not endorsed or acknowledged by Disney at all, but was set up by the participants themselves. There isn't much that Disney could do to stop it, even if they wanted to.

My wife and I had the misfortune of showing up at Disneyland last fall and discovering that it was "Gay Days." We still went, and it perhaps wasn't as bad as some could imagine, but needless to say we found it inappropriate. When I investigated later, I found that it was not endorsed or acknowledged by Disney at all, but was set up by the participants themselves. There isn't much that Disney could do to stop it, even if they wanted to.
Yeah, that's what we were told by a rep when we were planning a Disney vacation back in '02. But the rep did not want to even tell us the dates of the thing so we could schedule around it. After some serious haranging, the guy finally coughed it up, but for some reason sure didn't want to.

Yeah, that's what we were told by a rep when we were planning a Disney vacation back in '02. But the rep did not want to even tell us the dates of the thing so we could schedule around it. After some serious haranging, the guy finally coughed it up, but for some reason sure didn't want to.

I imagine that they would have some legal troubles if they actively told you when an event was taking place.

He probably didn't want to acknowledge it, lest it seem that the Disney Corporation was giving it's stamp of approval.

No one informed us until we got to our hotel, and one of the hotel staff gave us a 'heads up.' As we were 2000 or so kilometres from home, we couldn't afford to be flexible. It was either go, and hold our nose, or don't go at all. We decided to go, and we didn't let it ruin our day.

Of course, one discovers such worldliness outside of Disney. Wasn't it the OPC who held their assembly on a "Christian" campus only to find our that some "homosexual Christians" were also holding their convention at the same time and place? :detective:

I have been shouting from the rooftops for years that we ought to go to a college campus like every other denomination our size (CRC, RCA). GA is goign to collapse under its own weight: not only cost, but size.

The sad thing is taht all that $$$ is $$$ not being deployed in missions or ministry. LAst year, with splitting a room and driving to Dallas, GA still cost our church about $1200 --and i eat very moderately.

It is NOT a deliberative body, unlike the OPC or ARP. It really fits Disney well: it's artificial and imagineered reality.

Many are dissatisfied, and this tends to be irrespective of whether one is on the right or the left --but we are not the powers that be. All we are told is why it can't work to go to Wheaton or Calvin or some other moderately large Christian college.

One day it will cease surreptitiously (instead of a planned transition), because:

a.) Presbyteries won't be interested or able to handle the logistics.
b.) churches won't foot the bill or sponsor it (yes, it is subsidized by local churches)
c.) travel and convention costs will become too high.

ANd then maybe we'll devise a better system: a delegated, deliberative, and inexpensive body.

I'm wondering if we should see RC there at all...as much as I love RC, he is the pastor of a non-PCA church.
How is he still involved with the PCA?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm wondering if we should see RC there at all...as much as I love RC, he is the pastor of a non-PCA church.
How is he still involved with the PCA?
Still an ordained TE in the PCA. But maybe we won't, I just love RC so much I can't help teasing about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back