PCA GA - Overture 33

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Hi. I was just looking into overture 33. It has to do with "Jesus Calling." Does anyone know the details? Thanks!

Watered down in committee before it went to the assembly. Rather than an investigation by an Ad Interim Committee, the implicated groups will investigate themselves and report back. https://byfaithonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/Overture33Amended.pdf
Watered down? A friend of the Overture's author saved it in order for some action to be taken by the PCA. There's no way the PCA would have approved a Study committee given the fatigue it experiences over them as of late and the expense it incurs. What is remarkable is that the Overture was adopted. I think it may be the first time a personal Overture like this was adopted. Something that a Presybyery won't approve is typically dead on arrival.

Rather than an investigation by an Ad Interim Committee, the implicated groups will investigate themselves and report back.
That seems like an appropriate first step in dealing with an allegation. Similar to a problem with an individual, first go to him. If his answer doesn’t hold water, you take it to the next step. But they should be given the opportunity to apologize or explain before some kind of inquisition. Plus it’s the committees, not the agencies, that will report, and one hopes they can have some independence as governing bodies.

At least the Rev. Mr. Greco was able to keep the new moderator from getting himself into too much trouble with the debates. Isn't there a parliamentarian on the podium that's supposed to do that?

I thought it was odd that he put the election of the stated clerk to a vote. An unopposed nomination should be declared elected by acclamation, just as the moderator’s election was. Rev. Coffin was correct that there could be no debate, but there also should not have been a vote, and someone should have raised a point of order.

I don't understand the point of this study, though I am not PCA. It seems like the damage is done. This book has caused a great deal of harm in broader evangelicalism, probably more so in the SBC than in the PCA. I think the only thing left to do is repent.

I don't understand the point of this study, though I am not PCA. It seems like the damage is done. This book has caused a great deal of harm in broader evangelicalism, probably more so in the SBC than in the PCA. I think the only thing left to do is repent.
If I’m not wrong, part of the study is to determine how this happened. The author wasn’t merely a PCA laywoman. Her husband is presently a TE, she attended the denominational seminary, and worked for the PCA’s missional org. The point being - this shouldn’t have happened, why did it? Understanding how it happened will hopefully lead to preventing future occurrences. Though I agree, it should have happened far sooner.

If I’m not wrong, part of the study is to determine how this happened. The author wasn’t merely a PCA laywoman. Her husband is presently a TE, she attended the denominational seminary, and worked for the PCA’s missional org. The point being - this shouldn’t have happened, why did it? Understanding how it happened will hopefully lead to preventing future occurrences. Though I agree, it should have happened far sooner.
That makes sense I suppose. I hope that part of that is, "why did it take 20 years to have this study?".

I think that it would also be appropriate to put out some sort of blanket statement of apology/repentance to groups like the SBC, whose women's groups swallowed this garbage hook line and sinker. I don't remember if I heard or read that one of the opponents of this Overture 33 at your assembly argued that this was unnecessary because 99% of the women in the PCA would not read this book and did not know that it was written by an elder's wife in the PCA, as if that would absolve the PCA of any blame for this book causing damage to the rest of the evangelical world.

I read there were 45 million copies sold.

Last edited:
I share the amazement that this overture actually got passed, and am grateful that it did. As a GA observer over the past decade or more, I feel I can say that this isn't the same PCA I joined in 2009.

A friend closer to this overture encouraged me to consider writing something about it, and I may do so in the coming weeks. If I do, I'll try to share it here. It is simply untrue to say, as at least one person did in debate, that women in the PCA have not read this book or been affected by it. Its influence should have been addressed long ago.

Also, @Ryan&Amber2013, you may find it worth listening to this podcast on the subject. I thought the women guests voiced their critiques very thoughtfully and graciously:

Back