PCA's Ministerial Glut

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenPierce

Puritan Board Freshman
AS some of us have experienced first hand, the problem of too many pastors for churches in the PCA. Yet, there has been little to no talk about how to address the problem.

We must conclude one of 3 things:

a.) God doesn’t know what he’s doing, because he’s called far more men than we need.

b.) The PCA is about to have a major revival, and explode in number of churches.

c.) We are judging far more men to be called than are actually called.

I vote for c.

Since our seminaries, with one exception, are independent entities, and all of them, without exception, are market driven, they churn out candidates on the principle that more is better. The entrance exam is the ability to sign one’s name on his check.

And, we have all experienced the unfortunate passing of the buck between congregation, presbytery, and seminary.

The seminary says, “It’s the presbytery’s job to credential these men. We just teach.”

The presbytery says, “Well, he’s been through seminary. Who are we to say he’s not called? The local church will determine whether he’s really called or not”

The congregation says, “The presbytery and the seminary signed off on the man, so he must be suitable.”

Nobody is minding the store. And, what is more, it reduces “the call” merely to “inward call,” and we become virtual charismatic/pietists who cannot question a man’s internal call by his utter lack of externally-observable gifts and qualifications.

How many churches have been hurt, split, or even closed because of our lack of diligence?

Here’s a thought to start possible discussion:

Men ought to have proven ministry gifts before attending seminary.

The weight of presbytery’s approval should not be in favor of, “We’ll ordain you, unless you give us reason not to,” but rather, “We need compelling reason. Prove to us that you are called.” That proof, of course, would come out of possessing Christian maturity, Biblical/theological acumen, pastoral heart, and, above all, the ABILITY TO PREACH. Sorry to shout, but how many guys have we passed along who have little to no skill in this area in clear violation of the Biblical mandate.

I know that nobody begins out as Lloyd-Jones, but one can usually discern who is a preacher and who is not, even by very generous estimation.

I say this with a bit of fear and trembling, because I likely would not have passed these tests when I was ordained. But, that is irrelevant. As I understand it, this is the process similar to that used by Sovereign Grace: gifts are identified by leaders, and leaders encourage those who appear called to ministry, and only men thus approved are sent to their ministerial academy. That seems so much more “right” than the way we do it.

Time to start this conversation, folks.
:worms:

KenPierce;

I agree with you, I think it should be the Pastors and Elders of the congregation a person attends that should be the one's who send or recommend a person for Seminary...

They know the young man, or at least they should on some level KNOW this person before he goes off to Seminary...

I know there are certain qualifications and examining that takes place for Elders and Deacon's before they are voted into office, so why not the same for future pastors?? Maybe it could be handled in the same way, where people in the congregation, as well as the Elders and Deacons make suggestions as to those they know who may meet certain qualifications, then they could be examined further and the congregation as a whole be praying about it..

is it possible they don't do this because many of them go as young men, who have not learned as many life lessons, as someone say in their late 20's early 30's?

I honestly don't understand the issue? Are yous stating that even those outside the reformed faith shouldn't go to our seminaries? Why not? They can learn so much and even be persuaded by the doctines of Grace. Its up to churches to see who they are hiring after when voting someon as pastor. A simple MDIV degree shouldn't dictate the ability for an individual to lead Gods flock.

KenPierce;

I agree with you, I think it should be the Pastors and Elders of the congregation a person attends that should be the one's who send or recommend a person for Seminary...

They know the young man, or at least they should on some level KNOW this person before he goes off to Seminary...

I know there are certain qualifications and examining that takes place for Elders and Deacon's before they are voted into office, so why not the same for future pastors?? Maybe it could be handled in the same way, where people in the congregation, as well as the Elders and Deacons make suggestions as to those they know who may meet certain qualifications, then they could be examined further and the congregation as a whole be praying about it..

is it possible they don't do this because many of them go as young men, who have not learned as many life lessons, as someone say in their late 20's early 30's?

I believe it is a big assumption that elders/deacons are properly trained before entering their office. In my experience, at least, it seems most elders haven't been trained at all...just elected.

In response to Ken, I think the primary, although not only, place of testing of gifts, examining, etc. is to be done at the Presbytery level. This would necessitate a good deal of influence and training done by the individual church (elders), and should be guided by the Presbytery. I know that the session is the one who approves candidates to the Presbytery level, so there is some weight there. The seminaries seem to be lacking in most cases in reporting each individual's status, progress, etc. to their denomination. I believe the sessions of individual churches aren't properly taking care of their sheep, let alone individuals preparing for Gospel-ministry. And it seems most presbyteries are not truly testing their candidates for ministry.

On Whether to Vote to Ordain « Building Old School Churches

[This is not necessarily a reflection of my church or presbytery].

Glut? What Glut?

If there are so many why don't any of them come up here? Churches here can go for years waiting for a man to accept a call.

One elder on a search for a pastor told me the number one response is "my wife would never leave____(the south, her mother, our state, etc) to go all the way to Canada"!

I think what you mean is that the PCA has a glut of wimps with MDiv's. (in my opinion)

The weight of presbytery’s approval should not be in favor of, “We’ll ordain you, unless you give us reason not to,” but rather, “We need compelling reason. Prove to us that you are called.” That proof, of course, would come out of possessing Christian maturity, Biblical/theological acumen, pastoral heart, and, above all, the ABILITY TO PREACH. Sorry to shout, but how many guys have we passed along who have little to no skill in this area in clear violation of the Biblical mandate.

Interesting topic. We currently have 2 men under care and have had little to no preaching experience. One of their issues is that they get no feedback from the Presbytery as to there preaching skills and I don't think our Session feels competent to give a solid critique.

Another problem is that churches looking for a pastor really don't want to take a chance on a person straight out of Seminary. They would like a guy with some experience under their belt.

I believe it is a big assumption that elders/deacons are properly trained before entering their office. In my experience, at least, it seems most elders haven't been trained at all...just elected.

BINGO!!! Some even have to be talked into it. :(

The original question presupposes that there is in fact a "call" from God extended only to those who He sees as fit and needed. Is it fair to ask if that is a correct concrete presupposition? :think:

If there are so many why don't any of them come up here? Churches here can go for years waiting for a man to accept a call.

One elder on a search for a pastor told me the number one response is "my wife would never leave____(the south, her mother, our state, etc) to go all the way to Canada"!

I think what you mean is that the PCA has a glut of wimps with MDiv's. (in my opinion)

How sad, but if that IS the response they are getting, would they really want those men leading their churches anyway...

AS some of us have experienced first hand, the problem of too many pastors for churches in the PCA. Yet, there has been little to no talk about how to address the problem.

We must conclude one of 3 things:

a.) God doesn’t know what he’s doing, because he’s called far more men than we need.

b.) The PCA is about to have a major revival, and explode in number of churches.

c.) We are judging far more men to be called than are actually called.

I vote for c.

Since our seminaries, with one exception, are independent entities, and all of them, without exception, are market driven, they churn out candidates on the principle that more is better. The entrance exam is the ability to sign one’s name on his check.

And, we have all experienced the unfortunate passing of the buck between congregation, presbytery, and seminary.

The seminary says, “It’s the presbytery’s job to credential these men. We just teach.”

The presbytery says, “Well, he’s been through seminary. Who are we to say he’s not called? The local church will determine whether he’s really called or not”

The congregation says, “The presbytery and the seminary signed off on the man, so he must be suitable.”

Nobody is minding the store. And, what is more, it reduces “the call” merely to “inward call,” and we become virtual charismatic/pietists who cannot question a man’s internal call by his utter lack of externally-observable gifts and qualifications.

How many churches have been hurt, split, or even closed because of our lack of diligence?

Here’s a thought to start possible discussion:

Men ought to have proven ministry gifts before attending seminary.

I know that nobody begins out as Lloyd-Jones, but one can usually discern who is a preacher and who is not, even by very generous estimation.

I say this with a bit of fear and trembling, because I likely would not have passed these tests when I was ordained. But, that is irrelevant. As I understand it, this is the process similar to that used by Sovereign Grace: gifts are identified by leaders, and leaders encourage those who appear called to ministry, and only men thus approved are sent to their ministerial academy. That seems so much more “right” than the way we do it.

Time to start this conversation, folks.
:worms:

As a PCA church member observing from the pew, you have voiced what I have been thinking for a long time.

Wow

Where to begin?

First, let me state categorically I do think that non-Reformed men going to Reformed seminaries is a good thing. I am talking about the incredible surplus of men within the PCA.

To Andrew: The presbytery is the primary credentialing agency, to be sure, but ministry happens in the local church, and it is very hard for the presbytery to see the candidate in action, day to day.

Interesting that there are vacancies in the ARP in Canada --Wish'd I had known that back in the day. When I was surveying my options, I wanted to circulate my information in the ARP, and met with much official resistance. They did not appear to want PCA candidates swimming in their waters, even though I love the historic Reformedness of the ARP's. So, that axe may cut both ways.

The sad fact is: there are a lot of men out there who are untested and who cannot preach. Those facts cannot be explained away. It is our own lack of diligence with these men that we aren't more straightforward. It harms our churches, and harms these men and their families, many of whom create massive debt for themselves in seminary (its own problem), move their families long distances, etc., with no confirmation of the call. THere has to be a way to prevent that from happening, and I believe it begins with trial of gifts in the local church.

:2cents:

The original question presupposes that there is in fact a "call" from God extended only to those who He sees as fit and needed. Is it fair to ask if that is a correct concrete presupposition? :think:

Bruce,

I guess I need to follow up. Are you saying there is no "Call" to ministry, or that what we sometimes term a call is really a desire, as in "Not many of you should desire to teach, brothers..." or "He who desires the office of elder..." that is to be judged based on godliness and giftedness.

If so, how is that not simply semantics? A call is nothing other than internal desire confirmed by godliness and giftedness.

The fact remains the same: more men are being furnished than are needed. Why?

Bruce,

I guess I need to follow up. Are you saying there is no "Call" to ministry, or that what we sometimes term a call is really a desire, as in "Not many of you should desire to teach, brothers..." or "He who desires the office of elder..." that is to be judged based on godliness and giftedness.

If so, how is that not simply semantics? A call is nothing other than internal desire confirmed by godliness and giftedness.

The fact remains the same: more men are being furnished than are needed. Why?

Hi Ken,
Sorry, don't quite know how to re-ask my question. Maybe someone else who gets what I am brining up can help. This statement in blue makes the same preupposition I am questioning. Yes I am questioning the assumption that God does exercise a unique call to individual men to the pastoral vocation. A call that some rightly percieve while others do not.

I fear that we will soon get off the page of what "giftedness" actually means, with regard to being able to preach. Jonathan Edwards would not be chosen to minister in most churches today, for he read his sermons word for word in a monotone voice, and rearely looked at the crowd. Neither would Paul, who's "bodily presence was weak and his speech was of no account." (II Cor. 10:10). And yet, Edwards was powerful because God chose to use him; and the same goes with Paul. Paul was glad that he was weak in the area of preaching (unlike Apollos), for he "did not want their faith to rest in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." (I Cor. 2:5). When hearers desire to hear truth instead of someone who is a "good speaker", they will gladly listen to Balaam's donkey. He was one who truly had the gift of preaching!

Blessings!

Yes I am questioning the assumption that God does exercise a unique call to individual men to the pastoral vocation. A call that some rightly percieve while others do not.

What's the other alternative? People just go into ministry because they want to? If so, from where does the desire come?

I fear that we will soon get off the page of what "giftedness" actually means, with regard to being able to preach. Jonathan Edwards would not be chosen to minister in most churches today, for he read his sermons word for word in a monotone voice, and rearely looked at the crowd. Neither would Paul, who's "bodily presence was weak and his speech was of no account." (II Cor. 10:10). And yet, Edwards was powerful because God chose to use him; and the same goes with Paul. Paul was glad that he was weak in the area of preaching (unlike Apollos), for he "did not want their faith to rest in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." (I Cor. 2:5). When hearers desire to hear truth instead of someone who is a "good speaker", they will gladly listen to Balaam's donkey. He was one who truly had the gift of preaching!

Blessings!

Actually, that old saw about Edwards is as false as the "fact" that "A Mighty Fortress" was a drinking song. Both are bunk. Perry Miller, a mid-twentieth century Edwards biographer invented that story.

Please don't misunderstand me. This is why we have presbyteries and not Ken Pierce individually saying who is, and who is not, a preacher. Presbyteries can rightly and prayerfully discern if a man has a preaching gift or not, if there are rough talents can be honed, or whether completely lacking. This is quite separate from any rhetorical giftedness, I assure you. But, what presbyteries often do is criticize the sermon, and then pass the candidate.

But, if you honestly survey the poor state of Reformed preaching today, it doesn't take long to figure out that some men simply cannot preach, even by the most generous of estimations. That is, they cannot take the plain message of the Scripture and plainly proclaim it to their people. And, what I am saying is that it is the Presbytery's God-given job to judge a man's call, not with human wisdom, but with Spirit-given discernment.

Rev. Pierce, thank you for your useful post. While I can't speak to conditions within the PCA, I have noticed that there seems to be a substantial reluctance to say to someone, "You are not gifted for the ministry." Of course when someone has devoted several years of their life and tens of thousands of dollars to pursuing that goal, it is a crushing thing to be told.

I was speaking with my brother recently, who's been pursuing theological education for 13 years. This past year he listened to Albert Martin's series on A Call to the Ministry and realized that he ought not pursue the ministry. He told me that he wishes someone had explained these things to him years ago. Obviously, there is growth and development, and sometimes people we thought had no promise work out well. But is expensive upheaval the only way to test someone's desire?

Again, thank you for bringing up an important point.

To Charles, I wouldn't overemphasize Paul's lack of speaking ability. After all, the pagans thought that he was Mercury in human form.

Blessings!

Hopefully we're not talking about good speakers but good preachers. There is a difference. There are a lot of men who can stand in the pulpit and can keep the congregation awake, but there are really very few who can rightly handle the Word of God exegetically. Unfortunately, In my humble opinion, there are a number of men who think that the only way that they can serve the church is by being a preacher when their gifts are more suited to being a Ruling Elder or Deacon.

This is a hugely interesting thread. Of course, as a Baptist, I believe in independency and in the local church as the only God-given entity that should be responsible for training men, recognising and encouraging gifts, and 'laying on of hands'.

THIS IS NOT A STATEMENT FOR DEBATE, it will derail the thread, which is very good.

However...

1. Local churches recognising men and testing their gifts BEFORE seminary is vital. Anything other is foolish.

2. The quote about wimps with MDivs deserves immortality. Speaking personally, I would go anywhere humanly possible that would call me to preach. Fortunately the church that suffers my ramblings is only two miles away, but a call to the ministry is a call. It does not depend on personal preferences...

3. Surely it must be time for all these 'glut' of men (what are they doing right now, anyway? secular jobs? How do they feel about that?) to go and minister out of bounds. Or the mission field. Or ANYWHERE for that matter - our western world is decaying by the second, and only the Gospel can answer the needs of men.

Interestingly enough the opposite is currently the case in the OPC. There have been calls from our denominational committee to encourage the local churches to more seriously consider their young men to see if they might be called to the ministry. We are even starting a Timothy Conference this year for high school boys who are exhibiting gifts and a possible inward call at a younger age.

As for people passing the buck with regards to giftedness, I completely agree. I had a friend in seminary, who most felt was not called. Several even spoke to him to express this to him. He is a fine Christian man, husband, father, however, lacked the ability to be an expositor (according to the judgment of those close to him). After completing his M.Div he tried for several years to receive a call, to no avail. Now, after 7 years of struggle, he has come to the realization that he is not called. in my opinion the seminary is partly to blame because they allowed him to continue his studies and awarded his degree, with the thought that it is the church's job to ultimately discern calling.

I agree that it is ultimately the Presbytery's responsibility, as the Presbytery examines the man for office and ordains him. However, Reformed seminaries should also take more care to examine men in their programs of study. An M.Div is not just an academic degree, but is pursued with the view toward the ministry of the word and sacraments, which is why most Reformed seminaries don't admit women into the pastoral M.Div program.

No matter what the situation, glut or famine, all who are involved in the process need to take responsibility for their part in the training and their understanding of the particular man's giftedness, especially presbyters. One of our elder statesmen in our Presbytery reminds us each time a candidate is to be examined that "this is the most important thing we do as a Presbytery!"

I have to agree with Kevin, this is annoying. I know Kevin personally and we cannot get ministers to come to Canada. There are many churches without ministers. Yes, perhaps we need to do a better job of training, but I am encouraged by the young men I see in pastorates. I think of men like Scott Clark, Michael Horton, Rick Phillips, Philip Ryken, and others who are young outstanding ministers. Someone mentioned that young men of 20 and 30 are entering seminary without life experience. The average age of a seminarian is 30 and I knew many guys that were older. I agree that you need life experience, but many entering ministry today are coming out of a career. In order to get into most Reformed seminaries you have to be recommended by your home parish and have references. The local parish should be testing those gifts before sending a young man off to seminary. I have heard people say before that the PCA does not have enough churches for all the men coming out of seminary, but I think of the OPC that has more vacant pulpits then ministers. There are smaller Reformed groups that have such a need for ministers, such as the Free Church of Scotland.

Brother Pierce,

Blessings to you and thank you for your reply. I think I agree with what you said, in that "Presbyteries can rightly and prayerfully discern if a man has a preaching gift or not, if there are rough talents can be honed, or whether completely lacking. This is quite separate from any rhetorical giftedness, I assure you. But, what presbyteries often do is criticize the sermon, and then pass the candidate." I just wonder if pastor search committes don't put too much stock in "talent" to speak, rather than in spiritual giftedness to preach, for they are two different things. It truly is sad that, like you say, the sermons are criticized but the cadidate is passed.

You then say, "But, if you honestly survey the poor state of Reformed preaching today, it doesn't take long to figure out that some men simply cannot preach, even by the most generous of estimations. That is, they cannot take the plain message of the Scripture and plainly proclaim it to their people. And, what I am saying is that it is the Presbytery's God-given job to judge a man's call, not with human wisdom, but with Spirit-given discernment." I agree. I guess I was equating preaching ability with speaking ability. I often hear of the used synonomously. People hear a preacher who is not flamboyant and energetic, and not working to keep their attention focused on him with stories and power point technology, and they say that he is a bad preacher, even though he exegeted the text well and presented nourishment for the flock that week. I agree, the ability to proclaim the truth of the scripture is what preaching is about. And, it is necessary for believers to give affirmation to the call of one who has an ability and a desire to do such.

My main point behind the Edwards reference, was to note that preachers have different styles, and that substance is to be valued in place of it. Though I cannot deny your statement regarding the history of his ministry style, I'd like to see your reference for the story of such being "bunk." All I find in my reading are the opposite, like the quotes below.

“Although Edwards had none of the dramatic gestures of a Whitefield or a Tennent and was said to preach as though he were staring at the bell-rope in the back of the meetinghouse, he could be remarkably compelling. An admirer described his delivery as ‘easy, natural and very solemn. He had not a strong, loud voice; but appeared with such gravity and solemnity, and spake with such distinctness, clearness and precision; his words were so full of ideas, set in such a plain and striking light, that few speakers have been so able to demand the attention of an audience as he.’ Through sheer intensity he generated emotion. ‘His words often discovered a great degree of inward fervor, without much noise or external emotion, and fell with great weight on the minds of his hearers. He made but little motion of his head or hands in his desk, but spake so as to discover the motion of his own heart, which tended in the most natural and effectual manner to move and affect others.’ The combination of controlled but transparent emotion, heartfelt sincerity both in admonition and compassion, inexorable logic, and biblical themes could draw people into sensing the reality of ideas long familiar.”

- George M. Marsden, Jonathan Edwards: A Life (Yale: 2003) p. 220

"Though it wasn't done at the time, and Stoddard had publically frowned on it, Edwards in his early years of his ministry preached from a manuscript. He wanted to be sure he said precisely what he meant to say, for he had no patience with slovenly ramblings. So he stitched together his pages of used shopping lists, making tiny books that he held in his left hand. (One, the size of a wallet, may be viewed at Princeton.) He used few gestures, and spoke in a low voice, with 'great distinctness in pronounciation'." - Elisabeth D. Dodds, Marriage to a Difficult Man, pp.70,71.

Blessings!

Too many pastors in one geographic location means (D). That the the churches should selecting and sending these men out to parts of the world that are not as blessed.

Praise God for a plethora of servants! Let us scatter them across the face of the earth (before God does the scattering through other means)....

As someone who went to seminary and dropped out because I ultimately felt I did not have a clear call to the ministry I can see Ken Pierce's point. I have a thirst for knowledge but not a pastor's heart. When they did some psychological testing I came out at 99% Bohemian - probably not a good fit for most churches :p

However Pergamum's point about missions and Stephen's point about unfilled pulpits in Canada may provide the answer - maybe they are called to the ministry, just not in the US, and they need to ask God to clarify not just what they are called to but where as well.

Where to begin?

First, let me state categorically I do think that non-Reformed men going to Reformed seminaries is a good thing. I am talking about the incredible surplus of men within the PCA.

To Andrew: The presbytery is the primary credentialing agency, to be sure, but ministry happens in the local church, and it is very hard for the presbytery to see the candidate in action, day to day.

Interesting that there are vacancies in the ARP in Canada --Wish'd I had known that back in the day. When I was surveying my options, I wanted to circulate my information in the ARP, and met with much official resistance. They did not appear to want PCA candidates swimming in their waters, even though I love the historic Reformedness of the ARP's. So, that axe may cut both ways.

The sad fact is: there are a lot of men out there who are untested and who cannot preach. Those facts cannot be explained away. It is our own lack of diligence with these men that we aren't more straightforward. It harms our churches, and harms these men and their families, many of whom create massive debt for themselves in seminary (its own problem), move their families long distances, etc., with no confirmation of the call. THere has to be a way to prevent that from happening, and I believe it begins with trial of gifts in the local church.

:2cents:

Sorry I was not clear. I was refering to vacant PCA pulpits here. As far as the ARP accepting PCA men, that is an other issue. I have heard some stories to that effect. My (personal) view is that the ARP is like a small town,everyone knows each other. So if someone comes in from the big city & tries to tell you the "right" way to do everything you have a tendancy to be suspicious of the next brash young buck from the big city that shows up.

I am very blessed with the pastor God called to our church, He can teach the bible, and many days you don't want him to stop..You just want him to keep going..and others have said the same thing...he's not a gifted speaker per se' but he can sure teach..

Glut? What Glut?

:applause: This needs to be added to the quote database. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back