Pen Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

panicbird

Puritan Board Freshman
Is anyone here familiar with these things? They function like electronic highlighters. You can scan lines of books and then download them onto your computer. If you are familiar with them, which one is the best? I am thinking about getting one.

Lon

No one yet? ;)

I still have not gotten one of these. However, having gotten a little money for Christmas, I am again thinking about getting one. Does anyone know even the barest hint of anything about these things? I am almost completely blind in regards to them. Are they worth it? Do they work? Which ones are best?

Any help would be great.

Lon

I'm curious about this too.
Is it fully editable? Does it "read" old texts (like 17th century stuff)?

I haven't heard too much at all about it. It sounds like a useful tool.

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
I'm curious about this too.
Is it fully editable? Does it "read" old texts (like 17th century stuff)?

I haven't heard too much at all about it. It sounds like a useful tool.

There seem to be two main models: the C-Pen (either 600C or 800C) and the Wizcom (Infoscan, Quicklink-Pen, Quicklink-Pen Elite). I think that with both of them there is an in-pen editing function, though it is probably easier to download your scanned material to your computer and edit it in Word (or whatever you use).

Re: reading older texts. Why bother reading anything older than 15 years anyway? ;) Seriously, though, I would guess that it depends. If you mean older stuff printed with a modern font, then it will. But older stuff with the original font (or older style fonts), then the older you get then it will get less and less likely.

Lon

I've been looking at all sort of these devices for work (mostly for barcode purposes to work with our software).

What sort of device are you planning to scan into? A desktop PC? A notebook PC? A Pocket PC? Are you looking for a USB plugin device? There are some that are Bluetooth wireless even that can keep you wireless.

The optical character recognition modules vary greatly, and the software makes the difference. I'll send some links when I get back to work later in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back