PETA - Ben & Jerry's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew, a lot of people see PETA for what they are. But you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, this letter was sent by PETA, but the reaction some people have to the thought of breastmilk, you would have thought they were being offered poison.

Pergy, for your reading pleasure ;)
Discover: Got cancer killers?
Breastfeeding Articles--Banked Donor Milk
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/2330/ (and yes, I've known adults that have used breastmilk when they have had some of these conditions themselves, not just their children...I've used it to clear up my infants stuffy nose and a blocked tear duct...also know of a mother that makes and sells homemade acne soap with breastmilk as one of the main ingredients)

And more articles here: kellymom.com :: Healing with Breastmilk

Yes, this letter was sent by PETA, but the reaction some people have to the thought of breastmilk, you would have thought they were being offered poison.

I wasn't really clear, sorry. I don't mind the idea of consuming breastmilk. It is very healthy and doesn't cause many undesirable side-effects like a lot of dairy products do. In fact, I lived on the stuff when I was (much) younger. :cheers2: However, the only way to make breastmilk commonplace is to have a lot of women in poor countries being paid practically nothing and working in environments that will inevitably result in human rights violations. How can that industry not result in massive sexual abuse/harassment? It's not uncommon for women coming across of the Mexican border to pay off their debts by being a sexual slave. A breastmilk industry that is regulated as badly as everything else these days would result in the same sort of "get all we can out of her" mentality that pervades the dairy industry. :chained: I'm just concerned about the concept, is all.

On the other hand, homemade ice cream is still possible. I can see it now, "Hey mom, could you make us some ice cream?" :drool:

Totally agree with you, Andrew :) There are plenty of issues that would creep up with this idea. Not against the idea on a personal level, but the regulation and trying to mainstream such is not viable. I do support donating breastmilk for several uses, the main two being for mothers that do not have a milk supply or have a sick child and for cancer patients.

I do support donating breastmilk for several uses, the main two being for mothers that do not have a milk supply or have a sick child and for cancer patients.
I concur :)

I often have these culinary taboo conversations with my little sisters. Society tells them that eating dogs, cats, insects, and horses is somehow "gross" while eating cows, chickens, and deer is normal. What's up with that? Breastmilk, same thing. Food is FOOD. Milk is MILK, right? Of course, all those closet cannibals use that same argument :rolleyes:

Or maybe I am just culinarily desensitized because I watch too much Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. :offtopic:

Last edited:
The other problem, as someone alluded to earlier, is the logistical/cost problems. Assuming that people would want to consume human breast milk in their Ben & Jerry's ice cream does PETA really think pregnant mothers could meet the supply? The average California cow produces "2,305 gallons of milk a year or about 8 gallons of milk every day of her milking period." In a typical Ben & Jerry's ice cream recipe there's 2 cups of heavy cream and 1 cup of milk, which ends up making 1 quart of ice cream. Now I don't know what a "normal" amount of breast milk a woman can produce but I do know that Ben & Jerry's uses a 1000 gallon mixer at their factory. It doesn't take much math to figure out that a cow can easily outproduce a woman which makes the cow much more cost effective (and that's not even taking into account the cost of buying human milk).

As Margaret said, they [PETA] clearly have lost their minds.

We had a dairy cow at a christian commune I lived in for a couple of years way back in the late 70's. (yeah, old Jesus freak hippie) It was my privelege to milk "Bossy', and she loved it. The old girl would give 3 gallons of fine milk 3 times a day at her peak production, and I would sing a revamped version of an old hymn, titled 'Precious Mammaries' to her while I milked her. We both derived great enjoyment from it. So what's PETA's issue here?

The Lord spoke of a land of milk and honey, and I think it was in a positive light, so PETA notwithstanding, I believe cow's milk to be a blessing and not a curse.

The other problem, as someone alluded to earlier, is the logistical/cost problems. Assuming that people would want to consume human breast milk in their Ben & Jerry's ice cream does PETA really think pregnant mothers could meet the supply? The average California cow produces "2,305 gallons of milk a year or about 8 gallons of milk every day of her milking period." In a typical Ben & Jerry's ice cream recipe there's 2 cups of heavy cream and 1 cup of milk, which ends up making 1 quart of ice cream. Now I don't know what a "normal" amount of breast milk a woman can produce but I do know that Ben & Jerry's uses a 1000 gallon mixer at their factory. It doesn't take much math to figure out that a cow can easily outproduce a woman which makes the cow much more cost effective (and that's not even taking into account the cost of buying human milk).

As Margaret said, they [PETA] clearly have lost their minds.

As a nursing mother, I can only say, "No Way!"

I think PETA is bizarre!! And we have the sweetest pit bulldog. So I think they are really off base on that, too.

As a women I think this is a little insulting (in a hilarious way): PETA obviously values cows above women (and their nursing infants) to make such a thoughtless suggestion. No; that is cruel and exhausting for the cows and calves! Let's make the women do it!!!

I have problems with regular dairy, but can drink goat milk (and rice milk, if that counts). I think cow milk would be less problematic for some people minus some of the hormones?

But I kind of get the heebie geebies too :). I understand it's very good for you. I'm not sure though (but Colleen you don't seem to be saying this exactly) that what is necessary for cancer patients should be the norm for healthy persons?

Last edited:
I love breast milk because it was never, EVER "my turn" to get up in the middle of the night to feed a screaming infant. :D

As a women I think this is a little insulting (in a hilarious way): PETA obviously values cows above women (and their nursing infants) to make such a thoughtless suggestion. No; that is cruel and exhausting for the cows and calves! Let's make the women do it!!!

I have problems with regular dairy, but can drink goat milk (and rice milk, if that counts). I think cow milk would be less problematic for some people minus some of the hormones?

But I kind of get the heebie geebies too :). I understand it's very good for you. I'm not sure though (but Colleen you don't seem to be saying this exactly) that what is necessary for cancer patients should be the norm for healthy persons?
No, Heidi, I'm not saying that. I agree that PETA doesn't put a whole lot of thought into anything (what a legal and logistical nightmare this would be! Let alone the issues for women!). I think they took just one little, teeny fact (that breastmilk is the best for humans by the sheer fact that it is HUMAN breastmilk) and got carried away by the idea. It's being done in ONE LITTLE restaurant so that should mean that we should now be able to do produce mass amounts now, right? :rolleyes:

My only issue was that some people over-react to the idea of "breastmilk"....ooogie! :rolleyes:

And I agree...PETA is more concerned about everything other than Humanity.

Pitbulls are big, lovable babies. Hubby's uncle used to raise them.
:offtopic:
Colleen I would love to believe you but I am wondering about this breed myself lately. We have had so many attacks in our area by pitbulls that it is disturbing. It always seems to be the weak, young, or eldlerly that they attack. It seems like if you let two out loose together they become dangerous. Maybe they aren't if they are kept penned up on their own property but boy they seem dangerous if they get out. The last story was just one dog and not a pack of 2 so maybe they are dangerous on their own also.

woman and elderly dog attacked while on a walk

Elderly lady attack while gardening in her front yard

Woman attacked and small dog killed by home invading pitbulls

Six year old mauled by a pitbull

Colleen I would love to believe you but I am wondering about this breed myself lately. We have had so many attacks in our area by pitbulls that it is disturbing. It always seems to be the weak, young, or eldlerly that they attack. It seems like if you let two out loose together they become dangerous. Maybe they aren't if they are kept penned up on their own property but boy they seem dangerous if they get out. The last story was just one dog and not a pack of 2 so maybe they are dangerous on their own also.

I should qualify...

they are single owner dogs. They do fine with kids of certain ages. I wouldn't leave one with a baby or anything. Like most dogs, they shouldn't be let loose...these particularly don't do well with strangers. Unfortunately, most people don't properly care for a pitbull...this exasperates any issues. They are great guard dogs and yes, they can be very lovable and big babies given proper circumstances. I just don't agree with all the hype of trying to do away with these dogs or banning them from certain towns, etc. I've known even Pomeranians to kill infants. Truthfully the only dog I trust THAT much would be a Retriever or Great Pyrenees.

BTW, I have been attacked by a pit before...because he thought I was a prowler. Soon as he realised whose foot he had sunk his teeth into, he backed off and cowered. (I was taught how to react with german shepherds, dobermans, and pits as a child and had backed myself up to a wall to prevent being knocked over) I didn't blame the dog...he was doing his job. I blamed the owner for not keeping him on his leash.

Traci, we could post links to articles human murderers, too. That doesn't make all humans dangerous. I just hate to see generalizations about a whole breed of dogs.

Owners of dogs should be responsible and not let them run loose. The only time I have been bitten by a dog was by a toy poodle!

I remember seeing several years ago a show (I think it was called Penn and Teller) which examined PETA. The PETA president's speech was chilling in content and nicely set off by a chorus of "Siege Heil"s in the background.

Scary, scary people.

Traci, we could post links to articles human murderers, too. That doesn't make all humans dangerous. I just hate to see generalizations about a whole breed of dogs.

Owners of dogs should be responsible and not let them run loose. The only time I have been bitten by a dog was by a toy poodle!

Janis, I grant that many dog breeds bite my mom's Lhasa Apso bit me, but a bite is different than a mauling. I don't think I like a breed that is capable of these types of instincts when it is loose. I grant that with their owners on their property supervised they are fine but it does seem like if they are outside those barriers they flip into an instinct mode that is dangerous. All those reports are in my area in just the last few months. All the owners were surprised by their dogs behavior.

Wouldn't human milk create a while new screening problem? Aren't blood diseases and thus STDs potentially present in milk if one's a carrier?
It would be hard to catch all of that in mass production.

Wouldn't human milk create a while new screening problem? Aren't blood diseases and thus STDs potentially present in milk if one's a carrier?
It would be hard to catch all of that in mass production.

You should see what is in milk (hubby used to work for a dairy and a dairy factory...his aunt was a lab tech there). :detective:

LOL! You know a proper hormone regiment would permit both men and women to be "milked". Depending on the pay, I might consider it...

JK! - :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back