Peter and Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
This is the best Christian movie I've seen. It has no representations of Christ and it is rich and loaded with the gospel. A large portion of the dialogue spoken on behalf of Paul came directly from his letters to the church. Anthony Hopkins did an awesome job is portraying Paul's love, discipline, industriousness, struggles, and intelligence. Robert Foxworth as Peter showed how Peter under the burden of the leadership of the new church battling against Jewish persecution, Rome's complicity and trying to bring agreement and concordance between the Jewish and Gentile members of the church.

As I recall this was a mini-series on network TV. I have seen it and I will buy it. I remember that it made a positive impression on me.

Peter - the "Rock" of the Church

I believe the key for this was the slant to Roman doctrine... In this movie, Peter is clearly represented as more than just another elder in the church. It tells the story of a man struggling to meet his full potential of "the Rock on which the church is built"... He quotes (misinterprets) this verse in the movie. Later, it shows Peter as the "Pastor" in Rome, right before he was crucified - this, to me, clearly implies that Peter, was in fact, the first pope... which, we all believe is Roman false doctrine. All I'm saying is that it is imiportant to point this out to your children, etc... when watching.

I believe the key for this was the slant to Roman doctrine... In this movie, Peter is clearly represented as more than just another elder in the church.

This film made a big impression on me when I was young, and on watching it again (the DVD is region free) it still sets the spine tingling.

If you read Roman Catholic reviews of this film they all feel that it was slanted to protestant doctrine, I would prefer to say that it is biblical in its repeated affirmation of sola fide.

I have no problem with Peter being more than another elder in the Church, after all he was an Apostle who knew Jesus, there is nothing Roman about such a man having unusual authority in the early Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back