Peter Jackson to produce `The Hobbit'

Status
Not open for further replies.
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

So the Hobbit will be split into two movies?

Can hardly wait. (for the kids to see it, ya know I would only go so they could have the expirience...:D)

Follow the movie-making saga here. From an Entertainment Weekly article:

Jackson and his life/creative partner [Fran] Walsh have always envisioned the big-screen adaptation of The Hobbit as two movies. The first would deal with the 80-year old novel. The second, imagined entirely by Jackson and Walsh, would link the conclusion of The Hobbit to the start of the first Lord of the Rings book, The Fellowship of the Ring. New Line and Jackson will develop the properties over the next year with hopes of entering into pre-production by 2009 for a 2010 and 2011 release. No writers, including Jackson, Walsh, and their longtime partner Philippa Boyens, have been commissioned. (None can be, because of the strike.)

New Line has already decided that both films will be produced at the same time, in similar fashion to how the LOTR trilogy was put together, and no budgets have been assigned the films yet. According to New Line's co-chair Robert Shaye, "You can't budget an idea."

While MGM and New Line want to keep Jackson's involvement in the film as broad as possible, hinting that he may take up both writing and directing responsibilities, Jackson's manager Ken Kamins told Hollywood Insider that Jackson won't be directing the films. "Peter won't be directing because he felt the fans have waited long enough for The Hobbit. It will take the better part of every day of the next four years to write, direct and produce two Hobbit films. Given his current obligations to both The Lovely Bones and Tintin, waiting for Peter, Fran, and Phillippa to write, direct and produce The Hobbit would require the fans wait even longer."

Directors Sam Raimi (Spider-Man), Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth), and Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men) are still the names that come up as alternate possiblities, but no official creative decision has been made.

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

So the Hobbit will be split into two movies?

2011? I'll be 50 that year! Uggh.

Fan trailer for The Hobbit:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOt_2wT_FPw]YouTube - The Hobbit - Trailer (Lord of The Rings)[/ame]

I cannot wait. I reread The Hobbit in an annotated edition. Hope he stays close to the text of the book.:2cents::popcorn:

I wrote a report on the Hobbit my freshman year of highschool. It was the first real book I ever read outside the bible, I loved it so much I went on to read the LOTR for fun. I think the Hobbit is a better book than the LOTR so I hope he stays true to the book, and makes it about 9 hrs long.

I wrote a report on the Hobbit my freshman year of highschool. It was the first real book I ever read outside the bible, I loved it so much I went on to read the LOTR for fun. I think the Hobbit is a better book than the LOTR so I hope he stays true to the book, and makes it about 9 hrs long.

Wow. Really? Better than LOTR? I don't even think they're close. But hey, it's a free country.

The magnificent work done on The Golden Compass ought to show how a movie really can reproduce a book wonderfully. It is sad that Lewis and Tolkien have not been so fortunate in their adaptations to screen.

The magnificent work done on The Golden Compass ought to show how a movie really can reproduce a book wonderfully. It is sad that Lewis and Tolkien have not been so fortunate in their adaptations to screen.

:ditto:

The LOTR movies were good movies - but not good adaptations of the books. The battles occupy a very small fraction of the books, but are the main focus of the films. Jackson technically did a good job, but lost the spirit of Tolkien's vision. Plus, I lost all respect when he altered the real ending of Return of the King...

:ditto:

The LOTR movies were good movies - but not good adaptations of the books. The battles occupy a very small fraction of the books, but are the main focus of the films. Jackson technically did a good job, but lost the spirit of Tolkien's vision. Plus, I lost all respect when he altered the real ending of Return of the King...

In fairness to Jackson, movies made from great books [almost] always pale next to the book.

That is true; but some people get closer than others. Tolkien has yet to be adequately moviefied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back