Peter Lombard: Why was Eve made from Adam’s side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
1. WHY THE WOMAN WAS FORMED FROM THE SIDE OF THE MAN. And because she is not given as slave-girl or as one to lord it over him, in the beginning she was not formed either from the highest part, nor from the lowest, but from the side of man, for the sake of conjugal partnership.

If she had been made from the highest, as from the head, she might seem created for domination; but if from the lowest, as from the feet, she might seem to be created for subjection to slavery. But because she is taken neither as mistress, nor as [a] slave-girl, she is made from the middle, that is, from the side, because she is taken for conjugal partnership.

For the reference, see Peter Lombard: Why was Eve made from Adam’s side?

I wonder if Matthew Henry was thinking of this when he wrote his often-quoted words:

"That the woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved."​

I wonder if Matthew Henry was thinking of this when he wrote his often-quoted words:

"That the woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved."​

I think it is the source of Matthew Henry's observation. If I remember correctly, there is also a quote to the same effect from Thomas Aquinas somewhere.

This is a more positive version of the saying of Rabbi Joshua (2nd century AD): "God deliberated from what member He would create woman, and He reasoned with Himself thus: I must not create her from Adam's head, for she would be a proud person, and hold her head high. If I create her from the eye, then she will wish to pry into all things; if from the ear, she will wish to hear all things; if from the mouth, she will talk much; if from the heart, she will envy people; if from the hand, she will desire to take all things; if from the feet, she will be a gadabout. Therefore I will create her from the member which is hid, that is the rib, which is not even seen when man is naked."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back