Peterson, a quiet Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jordan Peterson is not a Christian. He's said as much. He has said that he is Christian only in some kind of cultural sense. Peterson never attends any church.

Have you heard him define God? He can go on at length, but ultimately he's nowhere near the God of Scripture. In fact, it's hard to understand what Peterson's saying at all since his conception of God is so far from anyone else's.

He has been very plain that he doesn't believe the resurrection to be true. He has asked for more time to consider this one.

Jordan Peterson's views on the Old Testament, especially Genesis, are a giveaway. To him, the stories resonate not because they are true but because they have some deep meaning. He analyzes fairy tales in the same way.

I understand the desire to claim Jordan Peterson for one's camp, but to call him a Christian is just dishonest and confusing.

In the article linked it is clear he lacks even a basic understanding of Christian faith.

Jordan Peterson is not a Christian. He's said as much. He has said that he is Christian only in some kind of cultural sense. Peterson never attends any church.

Have you heard him define God? He can go on at length, but ultimately he's nowhere near the God of Scripture. In fact, it's hard to understand what Peterson's saying at all since his conception of God is so far from anyone else's.

He has been very plain that he doesn't believe the resurrection to be true. He has asked for more time to consider this one.

Jordan Peterson's views on the Old Testament, especially Genesis, are a giveaway. To him, the stories resonate not because they are true but because they have some deep meaning. He analyzes fairy tales in the same way.

I understand the desire to claim Jordan Peterson for one's camp, but to call him a Christian is just dishonest and confusing.

In the article linked it is clear he lacks even a basic understanding of Christian faith.
I understand, but I guess I appreciate the concept of being called a Christian and not professing to be one. There is something I truly admire of such a state of being... thats the point I appreciate. He seems sincere on this point. But I understand what you are saying otherwise.

He is equivocating on the word 'believe', and my guess is that he knows it. (He seems really smart that way.)

I understand, but I guess I appreciate the concept of being called a Christian and not professing to be one. There is something I truly admire of such a state of being...

Consider this though:

“So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.” - Matthew 10:32–33

I understand, but I guess I appreciate the concept of being called a Christian and not professing to be one. There is something I truly admire of such a state of being... thats the point I appreciate. He seems sincere on this point. But I understand what you are saying otherwise.

What do you admire about it? I really don't understand.

I guess it would be hard to explain without this thread turning into a personal therapy session, lol.

(I do think Mr. Peterson seems kinda sad, a little broken. Like he needs healing. I hope he finds the true source of healing and understands it won’t necessarily happen overnight).

On the flip side I’m very impressed by this young lady...

Allie Beth Stuckey on Calvinism With Ben Shapiro: https://pulpitandpen.org/2019/05/30...ss-cultural-issues-from-a-biblical-worldview/

JP is a Gnostic, as a direct byproduct of his Jungian philosophy. He certainly is the latter self-consciously; I don't know as to the Gnosticism if he would analyze and identify his own religion by an ancient creed. I identified his view as Gnostic, before I knew who his psychological "godfather" was; which fact simply confirmed the judgment.

JP is a Gnostic, as a direct byproduct of his Jungian philosophy. He certainly is the latter self-consciously; I don't know as to the Gnosticism if he would analyze and identify his own religion by an ancient creed. I identified his view as Gnostic, before I knew who his psychological "godfather" was; which fact simply confirmed the judgment.
Oh, that’s not good... I’ve read enough of Dr. Peter Jones to know that

There’s a part of me
Sometimes that part needs to be clearly defined, to distill as it were, the truth in it. Other times that part needs to be brought under the light of Scripture to reveal its errors.
We need to think deeply about our thoughts and feelings knowing all the time that the heart is deceitful above all else.

Recently, (not to derail the topic) I advised a brother to watch Silence (the catholic movie by Martin Scorcese), because I enjoyed it a lot.
The brother was horrified afterwards and said he couldn't finish it. I had to go and think long and hard about what exactly it was that I liked. I came to a conclusion, shared it with my brother (who conceded that it was valid reasons), but at the same time promised that I would not advise anyone else to watch the movie.

I see how he's a Platonist, since he believes religious conceptions are projections of ideal/mental archetypes. What makes him a gnostic in particular?

I see how he's a Platonist, since he believes religious conceptions are projections of ideal/mental archetypes. What makes him a gnostic in particular?
(from article linked below)
Jung himself stated: “The possibility of a comparison with alchemy, and the uninterrupted intellectual chain back to Gnosticism, gave substance to my psychology.” Gnosticism, as you may know, was the great apostasy opposed by the early Church Fathers. According to Jung, you could not call yourself a Jungian without being a Gnostic. According to the Fathers, you could not be a Gnostic and a call yourself a Christian.

The pertinent Q.'s are: 1) Is JP a Jungian? And, 2) is Gnosticism Platonic?

The following article was produced in the immediate aftermath of the 2018 BBC interview, from someone with far more experience than I in analyzing persons and trends: Dr. Peter Jones.
https://truthxchange.com/2018/02/peterson-jung-hope/

Probably, reading PJ over the years (along with other authors and inputs) has endowed me with a kind of vague background awareness; so that when I heard JP say "X" and "Y," or took in his views as a whole, the picture it left me was one that led me to regard him as "Gnostic." So, I can't specify which statements of his left me with that impression. But I do remember that it was during listening to an interview (possibly the one below) that I recognized it.

I came to my conclusion after listening to the following (or possibly another, similar) interview. The interview was given in 2017 which is the time frame I listened to it. I was attentive to the rise in JP's popularity somewhat prior to his dramatic rise in the public consciousness in the aftermath of his BBC interview early in 2018.

Gnosticism drew from Platonism. There is a kind of religio-philisophical debate that carries on from the ancient schools (Plotinus, Neoplantonism) to the very present time, arguing over how much/how faithful to Plato's ideas Gnosticism was/is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoplatonism_and_Gnosticism
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...anes-nhc-101/D61B969C0200C5FC563133986A96B347

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back