Philip in the Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Foo

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi brothers and sisters

I have a question.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Philip-in-the-Bible.html

I'm trying to use e-sword software to learn greek. However, when I try to search the word 'philip' in the Bible (even with strong number lookup), i couldn't distinguish between who is who, as we have 4 Philip(s) in the Bible.

Is there any help for me to learn how to distinguish it?

This is important to me, because from English itself sometimes the different greek words are used. I need to know these.

Thank you =)

Even though the "Philips" are four different people, it is not required that their names differ in Greek (or, by translation, English). It is just like if I am mentioned in the newspaper along with another Taylor; how would one distinguish which is which? Context is the key. Each Philip is made distinct not by their Greek names, but by who and what they were. Hence, if you ever question which Philip is being discussed or addressed, look at the context of the passage.

Hopefully I both understood and answered your question with satisfaction.

thank you Taylor. How about those words which is similar in English, but have a different root word in Greek?

For example, the word 'love' in John 3:16 is different from the type of 'love' described in Pauline's letter especially when it relates to love among the saints.

Is there any tool provided so that we are aware of different greek root word for the same English word used in the Bible today?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back