Philip Yancey?

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by Ryan&Amber2013, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan&Amber2013

Ryan&Amber2013 Puritan Board Junior

Is he solid and worth reading?

2. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

Strictly speaking he is a good writer. Not very deep theologically. Deeper than, say, Max Lucado. Not as deep as Macarthur (and I don't think Macarthur is usually deep).

3. PaulCLawton

PaulCLawton Puritan Board Freshman

In my experience, for every subject on which he writes a better option can be found.

4. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Junior

Philip Yancey is one of those Christian authors whose very popularity gives cause for suspicion.

In this case, any suspicion would be well founded. I, at least, tend to find any chatter about being inclusive of "homosexual Christians" to be something of a red flag. Yancey has been vocally in support since a friend of his came out as homosexual.

He's cited positively here. Download the .pdf of the interview (conducted in 2004) to get an idea of Yancey's views.
    http://www.acceptingevangelicals.org/bible/

"When people ask me how I can possibly stay friends with a sinner like [my homosexual acquaintance], I respond by asking how [the aforementioned homosexual acquaintance] can possibly stay friends with a sinner like me."

"As I've attended gay and lesbian churches, I'm also saddened that the evangelical church by and large finds no place for homosexuals."

"Obviously, if a church is saying you need to give up sexual orientation, that church needs some education."

5. Guido's Brother

Guido's Brother Puritan Board Junior

There are hints of open theism in several of his books. Whenever a writer talks about God "taking risks," red flags should pop up in our minds.

6. augustacarguy

augustacarguy Puritan Board Freshman

You mean, like “reckless love of God?” lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Dachaser

Dachaser Puritan Board Professor

I believe that he is in some degree into Open theism, and is partially accepting alternate lifestyles for Christians.

8. Bill The Baptist

Bill The Baptist Puritan Board Senior

This song has convinced me that young people no longer understand the definition of words.

9. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

Old Timers in 1984 admitted they didn't know, either.

10. Bill The Baptist

Bill The Baptist Puritan Board Senior

Gotta love postmodernism.

11. ArminianOnceWas

ArminianOnceWas Puritan Board Freshman

Best response of 2019 thus far, keep up the work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.