Philippians 1:18-20 "turn out for my deliverance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertPGH1981

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello All,

Curious to know your favored view on the below passage in regards to the phrase "through your prayers and the Spirit of Jesus Christ will turn out for my deliverance".

Philippians 1:18-20
18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, 20 as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.

There are essentially three views that I have read:
1. Deliverance is linked to Job 13:18 in which he is referring to standing before God and being deemed innocent.
2. Deliverance is referring to being proven true before his peers in front of Caesar through their Prayers and the help of the holy spirit
3. Deliverance as in persevering through trail while honoring Christ in his body regardless of the outcome.
4. All of the above

Thanks,

Rob

Seems like an expansive use of the term (soteria, salvation). Paul may well, at this moment, have gained a sense of relief that he would probably be set at liberty; a hearing would not be necessary. But he's still ready to die, if so be. The highest human court might do its worst, and salvation was still his through Jesus Christ.

I'm less inclined to the notion that this (the trial) should bring about Paul's salvation, as a cause-to-effect; that's not an accurate rendering of apobaino (in my view). The trial is simply prelude to his salvation, whether proximate or ultimate. I don't see Paul equating his deliverance and his perseverance or his endurance.

v20's sense, as I take the leading "kata," is "accordingly, my eager expectation and hope is..." So, this language is not developing the "deliverance" idea further by describing it as fleshed out with hope and courage. No, Paul is surely going to be delivered, and so he ought to (he prays he will) reflect that knowledge confidently.

v20's sense, as I take the leading "kata," is "accordingly, my eager expectation and hope is..." So, this language is not developing the "deliverance" idea further by describing it as fleshed out with hope and courage. No, Paul is surely going to be delivered, and so he ought to (he prays he will) reflect that knowledge confidently.

Would linking Deliverance to the word Salvation in Job 13:18 be an inaccurate linking of OT to NT? Some commentators seem to lean this way as the wording is claimed to match (maybe Septuagint).

Job 13:16 This will be my salvation, that the godless shall not come before him.

I think it is at least a happy linkage, if not an intentional allusion; and I well imagine it could be the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back