Philippians 1:27-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3tro

Puritan Board Freshman
Good Afternoon,

I am scheduled to preach Nov 6, the third of three sermons on membership, and what is so important about the local church. The passage that i will be preaching is Phil 1:27-30 and the title will be "Like-Minded Citizens: Striving Side by Side."

My question is about the phrase "...for the faith of the gospel" at the end of verse 27. Paul's plea to the Philippians is that they will only let their manner of life, their heavenly citizenship, be worthy of the gospel of Christ. Do you think that this phrase is more pointed toward the outside non-believers, or for the members of the church? In other words are they to conduct themselves as worthy of the gospel for the faith of the gospel to the unbelievers, or for themselves?

Thanks

Paul is exhorting them toward:
1. Steadfastness in the things they have been taught.
2. Unity, which marks them out as children of the Father and servants to one another in Christ. Not devouring one another or prideful as he mentions elsewhere (compare Gal 5) but demonstrating the fruits of the Spirit.
3. Courage against enemies of the Gospel.

They are citizens of the Kingdom of the age to come and not citizens of Kingdom of this world. He's calling them to act in a manner consistent with their true citizenship. You can find the same parallels in Hebrews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back