Philosophical Arguments for Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.L. Arter

Puritan Board Freshman
I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for (so, hopefully someone can help me out). I'm looking for resources concerning philosophical (or even philosophical theology-related) arguments regarding the doctrine of election. In particular, I'm looking for philosophical arguments that intersect election with the problem of evil. I'm already looking at Francis Turretin, Petrus van Mastricht, Johannes Wollebius, and William Perkins--so, if you know of anywhere else I should be looking, please help me out.

I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for (so, hopefully someone can help me out). I'm looking for resources concerning philosophical (or even philosophical theology-related) arguments regarding the doctrine of election. In particular, I'm looking for philosophical arguments that intersect election with the problem of evil. I'm already looking at Francis Turretin, Petrus van Mastricht, Johannes Wollebius, and William Perkins--so, if you know of anywhere else I should be looking, please help me out.

Owen briefly touches on divine simplicity and election's relationship in volume 10. Basically since God is Pure Act he cannot be acted upon, which means, to grossly oversimply, he elects.

Owen briefly touches on divine simplicity and election's relationship in volume 10. Basically since God is Pure Act he cannot be acted upon, which means, to grossly oversimply, he elects.
Excellent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Aquinas argue similarly in Summa Contra Gentiles? Again, overly simplified, but similar?

I think Guillaume Bignon's Excusing Sinners and Blaming God: A Calvinist Assessment of Determinism, Moral Responsibility, and Divine Involvement in Evil might relate to what you're looking for. It deals with determinism more broadly, not just election to salvation/damnation, but most of the philosophical arguments are going to be the same or similar, and the latter part of the book deals with the problem of evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back