Picking Apart The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch2k

Puritan Board Graduate
What are some themes from this book that are biblical or contrary to the Bible?

I have found a couple of critiques so far:

1) Supports the ransom theory of the atonement

2) Supports evidential apologetics (The professor says to Peter and Susan that Lucy must either be 1) Out of her mind, 2) Lying or 3) Telling the truth. This relates to his apologetic of Christ's claim to be the Messiah.)

Any other criticisms or compliments?

"Till We Have Face" was his best fiction.
(cowritten)

Screwtape is decent. :up:

Space trilogy ? :down:

Narnia ? :up: for kids.

Tolkien and Williams are the masters of the group.

The concepts in the Narnia series (really The Last Battle) that I don't care for are 1) Taslan and 2) Neoplatonic ideas of reality.

It's a great book though, In my humble opinion, and I enjoy reading it overall very much.

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
What are some themes from this book that are biblical or contrary to the Bible?

I have found a couple of critiques so far:

1) Supports the ransom theory of the atonement

2) Supports evidential apologetics (The professor says to Peter and Susan that Lucy must either be 1) Out of her mind, 2) Lying or 3) Telling the truth. This relates to his apologetic of Christ's claim to be the Messiah.)

Any other criticisms or compliments?

I don't see how this is evidential. Not that I think an evidential approach is contrary to the Bible (which is different than being less effective), but that statement could just as easily be presuppositional. That is, just because Lucy's statement doesn't make sense, does not mean that she is lying. The problem could be with the children's presuppositions: namely, that other worlds cannot exist.

Originally posted by Saiph
(cowritten)

I personally think the space triolgy is his best fiction. I love Tolkien, but don't care for Williams.

Non res gustibus.

The space trilogy is glorious --especially Perelandra. That Hideous Strength tackled a sin that almost no one has addressed and that is probably one of the most prevalent of our time --the desire to be in. I thought it was a more insightful analysis of that particular sin than anything in Screwtape. Till We Have Faces was almost as good as Perelandra.
Has anyone read the book he started which begins with the soldiers inside the Trojan Horse? Judging by the first two chapters (all he wrote) that would have been a magnificent book as well.
I like Williams, but after The Greater Trumps I am not sure that his orthodoxy can at all be salvaged. I liked Many Dimensions best.

Ruben,

"Many Dimensions", "All Hallows Eve", and "Descent Into Hell" are my favorites by Williams.

What was wrong with "Greater Trumps" ? ?

One of Lewis' biographers, Chad Walsh, claimed that Joy was the inspiration for Orual's character...

Originally posted by SharperSword
One of Lewis' biographers, Chad Walsh, claimed that Joy was the inspiration for Orual's character...

I ahve heard that as well. Very cool.

I have not read "All Hallows Eve" --I'll keep my eyes open for it. I liked "War in Heaven" better than "Descent Into Hell" --the Archdeacon had more character than Stanhope. "The Place of the Lion" was extremely good too. I tried some of his poetry but I must admit I didn't find it up to the level of his novels.
In "The Greater Trumps" Williams used the phrase, "Our Lord Gautama." Other than that the book was fine (not as stimulating as "The Place of the Lion" and with an occasional banality, but still enjoyable and in places rapturous), but I found that phrase extremely dismaying. As it was not placed in the mouth of a character, and as it was not used in a historical context, it came across as an affirmation or confession concerning Buddha --and for Christians there is one Lord, Jesus Christ.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Taslan I definitely took issue with!

It's been a number of years, so my memory might be rusty.

Taslan is not being held up as some sort of "Christian" ideal. If anything with Taslan, Lewis was ahead of his time. Being presented by the unfaithful as the unity of Tash and Aslan, Taslan is a reflection of the modern concept that we all believe in the same god!

Tashlan was an invention of the ape for the purpose of deception. As such, I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is Aslan's speech to the Calormen soldier explaining that all "good" service, even if done in the name of Tash, was actually service to Aslan, and that all "bad" service was actually service to Tash, even if done in the name of Aslan. This is consistent with Lewis' universalistic tendencies, implying that God accepts our "good" service, even if it is done in hommage to a pagan god.

Andrew, is this what you were refering to in the first place?

Originally posted by SharperSword
Tashlan was an invention of the ape for the purpose of deception. As such, I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is Aslan's speech to the Calormen soldier explaining that all "good" service, even if done in the name of Tash, was actually service to Aslan, and that all "bad" service was actually service to Tash, even if done in the name of Aslan. This is consistent with Lewis' universalistic tendencies, implying that God accepts our "good" service, even if it is done in hommage to a pagan god.

Andrew, is this what you were refering to in the first place?

Exactly!

(cowritten)

Space Trilogy...best of breed

I don't agree with this appraisal of Lewis' Narnia books. I will give way, to quite a degree on the last one of the series, because I think that he made a mistake including it. Though I read six of the books a number of times for my children at bedtime, I never read the seventh for them. But to compare this allegory to his theology is a mistake, I think. It wasn't meant to be that way, as I recall from Pilgrim's Regress.

But these books are more of a distant memory for me right now. The last time I read the Lewis books it was the Space Trilogy, and that was now about two years ago. A lot has happened since that time. I'm just recalling these things from memory, somewhat faded memory.

The Last Battle is pleasingly amillennial, I don't like the ransom theory in TLW&W, but was looking at it last nite - can't beat his "Aslan isn't safe-but he's good" comment! Loved Till We Have Faces, also That HIdeous Strength. Boy, did he have modern wickedness down@

I will have to try the space trilogy again. I just rember wishing it was over so I could say that I read it. But, when it comes to sci-fi I am somewhat of a fascist. Frank Herbert is the only author I like.

Read all the Chronicles years ago. I thought they were a bit occultic but a good read. I was wondering if it is a breaking of the 2nd Commandment to portray Christ other than He is, as in a Novel such as Lewis did. I get kind of scared portraying Christ by other means outside of scriptural boundaries. I don't know exactly what to make of Pictures of Christ but I don't have any either. The characterister of allowing a pagan to be included in the Kingdom when he definitely served a foreign god was terrible. The end of the books was a bummer as stated above by Rev. Maes. I was greatly disappointed by that part.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Read all the Chronicles years ago. I thought they were a bit occultic but a good read. I was wondering if it is a breaking of the 2nd Commandment to portray Christ other than He is, as in a Novel such as Lewis did. I get kind of scared portraying Christ by other means outside of scriptural boundaries. I don't know exactly what to make of Pictures of Christ but I don't have any either. The characterister of allowing a pagan to be included in the Kingdom when he definitely served a foreign god was terrible. The end of the books was a bummer as stated above by Rev. Maes. I was greatly disappointed by that part.

As in Tolkien, the authors are not portraying Christ, but "Christ figures".
So loosely taken it is just fun fiction. . . mind candy.

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by Saiph]

Originally posted by puritancovenanter

As in Tolkien, the authors are not portraying Christ, but "Christ figures".
So loosely taken it is just fun fiction. . . mind candy.

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by Saiph]

I am not so sure that God is someone who we ought to be having fun fiction with.
Our Father, who art in Heaven, Hallowed Be Thy Name.

I think we ought not be doing such things as Lewis Did. He made Aslan Christ who travels from astro plain to astro plain. .Just my humble opinion.

- can't beat his "Aslan isn't safe-but he's good" comment!

Meg, that is mine and my husbands favorite line also. :D
Frank Herberts Dune series was great although the last one was racy.

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by Augusta]

Originally posted by Augusta
- can't beat his "Aslan isn't safe-but he's good" comment!

Meg, that is mine and my husbands favorite line also. :D
Frank Herberts Dune series was great although the last one was racy.

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by Augusta]

:ditto: One of the best lines ever written by Lewis In my humble opinion

I thought of another issue with The Greater Trumps (sorry, old news by this time, huh?). Sybil says that the central mystery of Christianity is the deity of love and the incarnation of love. The first part of that is backwards (as I think Lewis himself would have said) and the second part minimizes the Resurrection. Given Sybil's role in the book, she is William's mouthpiece if he has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back