Picking Apart The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to read these comments. I'm in the same boat with many of you here - I love the books, they are cracking stories and I know he said that that was primarily what they were supposed to be - not Christian books. BUT his Christian faith is apparent in the material. So how do you know what has a hidden meaning and what doesn't?

I've always had an issue with the last battle for the reasons quoted in previous posts and it was only recently when I went back to the books after several years. It was then that I picked up on the whole problem with the ransom theology. I would be interested to know if anyone has any Christian fantasy/allegory that they feel actually works, where there is not a problem like this? I haven't come across any - or any that I really enjoy reading in the way I enjoyed reading the Narnia books. The Pilgrim's Progress and The Holy War would be the traditional alternatives I suppose.

So don't get me wrong. I still love C.S. Lewis' books. The Narnia books are still amongst my favourite children's books alongside Patricia St. John's fiction.

If it's o.k. to do this - I'm not sure being new to the page - does anyone else have favourite Christian children's books from their childhood? Why did you like them?
Readhead:book2:

Read Head,
Just start a new Thread with your question. It would be off topic to continue with your queston. Post it in the Library. BTW we have a set of books called 'The Sugar Creek Gang' that I love.

[Edited on 11-19-2005 by puritancovenanter]

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
I was wondering if it is a breaking of the 2nd Commandment to portray Christ other than He is, as in a Novel such as Lewis did. I get kind of scared portraying Christ by other means outside of scriptural boundaries.

Hmmm . . . If I remember correctly, it is Scripture that first portrayed Christ as a lion. So for that particular image, Lewis wasn't being original.

(cf. Genesis 49:9, Hosea 5:14, and especially Revelation 5:5.)

[Edited on 11-19-2005 by biblelighthouse]

Originally posted by biblelighthouse
I was wondering if it is a breaking of the 2nd Commandment to portray Christ other than He is, as in a Novel such as Lewis did. I get kind of scared portraying Christ by other means outside of scriptural boundaries.

Hmmm . . . If I remember correctly, it is Scripture that first portrayed Christ as a lion. So for that particular image, Lewis wasn't being original.

(cf. Genesis 49:9, Hosea 5:14, and especially Revelation 5:5.)

You didn't read my following post Joe.
I am not so sure that God is someone who we ought to be having fun fiction with.
Our Father, who art in Heaven, Hallowed Be Thy Name.

I think we ought not be doing such things as Lewis Did. He made Aslan Christ who travels from astro plain to astro plain. .Just my humble opinion.

BTW, Good to see you again Joe.

I am not so sure that God is someone who we ought to be having fun fiction with.

I think we ought not be doing such things as Lewis Did. He made Aslan Christ who travels from astro plain to astro plain. .Just my humble opinion.

Actually, I did read your following post. I do respect your opinion, but I also disagree with it.

Like I said, it is Scripture that first portrayed Christ as a Lion. And how about Him travelling from "astro plain to astro plain"? Well, how about him appearing in the room with the apostles without using the door? How about the ascension in Acts 1, where he is lifted up out of sight, and then transferred from the plain of Earth to (I assume) the plain of Heaven? And how about the appearances "out of nowhere" of the Angel of the Lord throughout the O.T.? I am not a person who would argue that Lewis was completely without Biblical grounds in such imagery. On the contrary, I DO believe that men and angels, etc., live on seperate plains. That is the only way I can make sense of Acts 1, for instance. (After all, Jesus didn't just keep going up, up, up from the Earth forever . . . point a powerful telescope directly up from the mount of olives, and I guarantee that you won't discover the location of Heaven.)

I do not think Lewis dishonored Christ in any way by writing the first 6 books in the CofN series. Of course, if I thought that he had, then I would be opposed to his books too.

But on the contrary, I think the books are very good. I can't wait to see the movie on Dec. 6!

In fact, I personally know at least one person who became a believer in Christ after reading the Chronicles of Narnia. The books brought the Gospel message into a format which really clicked with her. God used the CofN to bring her to belief in Christ, and to a love of the Bible.

Thank you! It's good to see you again, too. I appreciate your posts. I have just been WAY too busy lately to spend much time on the PB. I hope to get back on here more regularly in December.

Your brother in Christ,
Joseph

Originally posted by biblelighthouse

Actually, I did read your following post. I do respect your opinion, but I also disagree with it.

Like I said, it is Scripture that first portrayed Christ as a Lion. And how about Him travelling from "astro plain to astro plain"? Well, how about him appearing in the room with the apostles without using the door? How about the ascension in Acts 1, where he is lifted up out of sight, and then transferred from the plain of Earth to (I assume) the plain of Heaven? And how about the appearances "out of nowhere" of the Angel of the Lord throughout the O.T.? I am not a person who would argue that Lewis was completely without Biblical grounds in such imagery. On the contrary, I DO believe that men and angels, etc., live on seperate plains. That is the only way I can make sense of Acts 1, for instance. (After all, Jesus didn't just keep going up, up, up from the Earth forever . . . point a powerful telescope directly up from the mount of olives, and I guarantee that you won't discover the location of Heaven.)

I do not think Lewis dishonored Christ in any way by writing the first 6 books in the CofN series. Of course, if I thought that he had, then I would be opposed to his books too.

But on the contrary, I think the books are very good. I can't wait to see the movie on Dec. 6!

In fact, I personally know at least one person who became a believer in Christ after reading the Chronicles of Narnia. The books brought the Gospel message into a format which really clicked with her. God used the CofN to bring her to belief in Christ, and to a love of the Bible.

Thank you! It's good to see you again, too. I appreciate your posts. I have just been WAY too busy lately to spend much time on the PB. I hope to get back on here more regularly in December.

Your brother in Christ,
Joseph
Joe,
I guess it just weirded me out a bit. The going from one demention of created beings to another which had created beings in times that didn't equal the same time. It was a good read. I will go see the Disney movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back