Pictet on the marks of Divine Inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
"Now the attentive inquirer will find the following marks or characters of the divine origin of any writing.
1. To speak nothing but the truth.
2. To reveal those mysteries, which cannot proceed from the human mind, which yet are in strict harmony with the natural ideas God has impressed on the mind.
3. To direct our thoughts and our worship wholly to the true God.
4. So to instruct the mind, as to satisfy and set at rest the most insatiable desire after knowledge.
5. To teach men by the most holy precepts to love God above all things, and to renounce every species of iniquity.
6. To be always consistent with itself, and to exhibit no contradiction.
7. To teach those things, which calm all the passions of the mind, and fill it with indescribable peace and joy, bringing it into such subjection, that it is compelled under a sweet, yet most powerful influence, to obey the laws of God.
8. To predict those things, which no human being could foreknow, and which were fulfilled in due time. If the book in which all these characters exist, is not divine, I know not what can be divine."
- Benedict Pictet - "Christian Theology"

Thanks to @Taylor Sexton for putting this work on my radar.

Thanks to @Taylor Sexton for putting this work on my radar.

My pleasure!

I have really enjoyed reading Pictet. I love how his Christian Theology is so concise yet so thorough. It truly is a full-fledged systematic theology. It is easy to read, gets to the meat of each topic, says what is most important, all without being long-winded. I would recommend this book to anyone high school age and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back