Pictures of Self?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First photographs. Then all mirrors in your house. Shiny sides of a toaster must be smudged as well as all silverware. I think this is along the arguments that it isn't what goes in a man that defiles him but everything that comes out of the heart. So just as we don't forbid wine...

Frankly this is legalism. Setting up false laws to protect against the real law.

Frankly this is legalism. Setting up false laws to protect against the real law.

If this is a denominational practice, then I agree. But if this is a matter of personal conviction, then I disagree. I think it's an extreme measure that not many people have the need for, just as I think total abstinence from television is an extreme measure that not many people need. But I remember in a conference, John Piper saying how he doesn't watch TV, ever, because it is an area he struggles with. That's not legalism. That's being alert and realistic.

Also, to Taylor, I agree with you. These practices won't kill a heart of pride. But in my own experience, they have helped me to take my eyes off myself, both literally and figuratively.

But I am not just referring to pictures on the PB, but in life and in our lives....

An Example would be, Some Anabaptist Groups like the Amish consider All pictures of ourselves as Prideful and Haughty...

Some Anabaptist Groups also don't use electricity because it is a sign of worldliness. :um:

I suppose if you were prideful or worshipping the photos it would certainly be wrong.

But personally when I look at a picture of my sons, my grandchildren, my wife etc. - I truly thank God for the blessings I have been given and will never deserve.

First photographs. Then all mirrors in your house. Shiny sides of a toaster must be smudged as well as all silverware. I think this is along the arguments that it isn't what goes in a man that defiles him but everything that comes out of the heart. So just as we don't forbid wine...

Absolutely. Maybe I should stop looking at my children in case I get prideful of them and my image in them.

Isn't that alittle uncalled for... I asked a serious question with regards to images which is an issue for many in Christ Church....

I have not decided one way or the other and I was just considering and was really curious.....

[

Splitting hairs, eh.

I agree with the other brother that said this thread is for the birds.

Michael, who are the 'many' you speak of? Please do not burden yourself with such issues. The struggle is hard enough without adding these types of things.

Wouldn't pictures of ourselves and of our families be vanity? Don't they create Unlawful pride and haughtiness within us? Aren't they stoking our Pride? Could it not be Vain?

I am just curious, Why or Why Not?

Michael

Michael, who is in the picture on your avatar? :think: Just curious.

It's interesting how so many of the Reformers were great expositor's of the Moral Law and yet how many of them were willing to have their portraits done? Meaning, I trust that if this was really an issue, they wouldn't have permitted portraits to be made of them and certainly wouldn't have agreed to allow their portraits to be included in their works...

Last edited:
I understand getting one's heart right... But is there anything inherently prideful about having photos of ourselves or hanging photos of ourselves and family in or around the house....

Sometimes it just seems to me to be an inherent pridefulness about images. More of taking pride in the creation...

We are allowed to take delight in God's creatures as a gift from the Creator...should we not eat in case we start to take pride in food.

For the Record yet again...

I never said I agree with this... I am just thinking through all of this... Yes I have a picture of myself and my family in my avatars... Because I have not been against it and I am not against it now.... I am only thinking through stuff and I have not gone one way or the other........

I never said I agree with this... I am just thinking through all of this... Yes I have a picture of myself and my family in my avatars... Because I have not been against it and I am not against it now.... I am only thinking through stuff and I have not gone one way or the other........

Brother Michael:

STOP THINKING THEN!!!!:)

Again, who are the 'many' in Christ's church you are speaking of?

In the essentials unity, in the non-essentials liberty, in all things charity.

I would definately tend to see this as a non-essential element. Then again, I don't possess the dapper yet understated elegance of Blueridge Baptist's Uber-Quaff--all 2 strands!

I have to agree with those who are encouraging you to give up on this. You are spending way too much time straining at gnats - or rather imaginary gnats.

Do something productive instead.

gnat

gnat_1a.gif

This is not an imaginary gnat. It is a gnat image.

Sorry, "Stop Thinking" is not an option, no matter How Gnat like or even imaginary Gnat like someone "thinks" it might be... Either way I decide (Which I have not, but leaning not sinful unless it is a problem for a person), I am bound by conscious which Luther said it is never smart nor wise to go against unless proven contrary to the Word of God.

Now you asked who are the Many? Baptistic Groups which include:

Mennonite: 1.6 Million Members
Amish: 500,000 Members
Schwarzenau Brethren Also known as Neue Täufer (New Baptists): 203,000 members
Unitas Fratrum: 825,000 members
Hutterites: 50,000 members
Many Reformed Baptist I know won't keep pictures.
Many smaller Baptistic Groups...

That totals "Many" in Christ's Church that have strong convictions against photos of self and family.

Brother Michael:

STOP THINKING THEN!!!!:)

Again, who are the 'many' in Christ's church you are speaking of?

We are called to meekness, humility, simplicity, unadorning, modest, and unprideful....

Seeing a photo of myself helps me with all these things. Trust me...

:lol: :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. When I look at pictures of myself, I cringe. I am so glad I don't have to look at myself all day. I pity the people who do.

Seriously, I believe it goes back to motive and attitude of heart. If you are hanging pictures of you (or your family and friends) all over the place, and you are idolizing those people and individuals above the Lord, then certainly you need to consider your heart and perhaps remove the pictures. Anything can become an idol. I have lovely pictures of my children that (as others have said) remind me of God's goodness in giving me a wonderful family.

Wouldn't pictures of ourselves and of our families be vanity? Don't they create Unlawful pride and haughtiness within us? Aren't they stoking our Pride? Could it not be Vain?

I am just curious, Why or Why Not?

I dont see them as creating unlawful pride but rather an image of my family brings great thankfulness to my heart. I have come to the conclusion that I have the most beautiful daughter in the world, but this statement is not one of pride because 1.) its a statement of fact just check out my avatar. and 2.) I do not see her beauty as coming from me nor her beautiful mother but from God.

I am humbled by her beauty and your piety to honor God for it! I on the other hand struggle with vanity for how my piety and good looks (which come from God of course...) are exemplified in that robe which my wonderful wife gifted to me! :lol:

If it is wrong to look at pictures of our family in case it leads to us being prideful, then - by logical extension - is it not also sinful to look at our families in the flesh in case that leads us to be prideful as well. Does anyone else see the absurdity of such reasoning? Maybe the author of Psalm 127 was prideful?

Ex. 20 4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing steadfast love to thousands [2] of those who love me and keep my commandments.

I think we should eliminate all art period! Art can lead to temption. This is absurd as a picture of my children leading me into sin. I am already a sinner, but I am save by the blood of Christ.

As I look at this thread, I myself repent of making light of Brother Michael's inquiery. "Be wise as serpents yet gentle as doves' should be our war-cry. Instead of blowing off his struggle with harsh words or sarcastic jokes, it can be settled with compassion and scripture. I also do nto believe this thread should have many more posts involved. We do not need pages and pages of discussion to discern the right answer. Just becasue the question may be ridiculous to us or some, does not make the matter any better for the person asking it. As Michael pointed out, some groups do find it sinful. They are wrong, but are drawing a line in the sand none the less. The error should be pointed out quickly, while providing the solution. Remedy is God's revelation. We are most miserable if we are taught The Heidelberg Catechism Q&A #5, and not provided with the remedy of Christ. Therefore, let us rethink our responses and quickly and efficiently lead Michael away from this error.

As I look at this thread, I myself repent of making light of Brother Michael's inquiery. "Be wise as serpents yet gentle as doves' should be our war-cry. Instead of blowing off his struggle with harsh words or sarcastic jokes, it can be settled with compassion and scripture. I also do nto believe this thread should have many more posts involved. We do not need pages and pages of discussion to discern the right answer. Just becasue the question may be ridiculous to us or some, does not make the matter any better for the person asking it. As Michael pointed out, some groups do find it sinful. They are wrong, but are drawing a line in the sand none the less. The error should be pointed out quickly, while providing the solution. Remedy is God's revelation. We are most miserable if we are taught The Heidelberg Catechism Q&A #5, and not provided with the remedy of Christ. Therefore, let us rethink our responses and quickly and efficiently lead Michael away from this error.

I knew a man in a church I served who often wondered if it was prideful to share with others about how well his daughter was doing academically. She was class Valedictorian, had a 4.0, and scholarship opportunities to several colleges.

This was a serious matter for him as well. I encouraged him that honoring her accomplishments was not necessarily prideful but if he was talking about her in a boastful way to show how good HE was, then I thought that was a good indicator that he had crossed over into pride and vanity.

This may have some bearing on this conversation. :think:

I knew a man in a church I served who often wondered if it was prideful to share with others about how well his daughter was doing academically. She was class Valedictorian, had a 4.0, and scholarship opportunities to several colleges.

This was a serious matter for him as well. I encouraged him that honoring her accomplishments was not necessarily prideful but if he was talking about her in a boastful way to show how good HE was, then I thought that was a good indicator that he had crossed over into pride and vanity.

This may have some bearing on this conversation. :think:

:offtopic:

The problem is EVERYTHING we do is self serving. All tainted by sin, therefore we must recognize this whenever we wake up in the morning. Most of my conversations in our congregation about any issue will start with "To give my BIASED understanding or answer..." There is no need for false humility. God hates it. Paul condemns it. False humilty only leads to distress and second guessing. I am proud of my children. I carry their pictures at all times and show them when the time is right. It brings me so much joy to know God has blessed us with 2 smart. gorgeous kids and I am fine saying it.

There is good pride and bad pride, GOd will convict the later.

Thanks Brother... This is what I really wanted to say but could not find the words without being angry or mean spirited.... I have been shocked and disappointed by some of the answers that have been received...

By the way, One Note, I am not necessarily leaning this way.. It was just an inquiry because it has come up with friends many times before....

Not at all Josh, I appreciated your responses and did not think they were smart alecky or mockery in any way...

If my answers have been smart alecky or perceived as insincere, or mockery, in any way, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back