Pictures of the Reformers and Anti-Reformers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a copy of Theodore Beza's "Icones," Contemporary Portraits of Reformers of Religion and Letters (facsimile of 1909 edition by C.G. McCrie), which contains portraits of a number of additional Reformers. I think it is in the public domain (this should be verified). If so, it could provide additional pictures. I commend Beza's work highly! :detective:

Originally posted by webmaster
Is it in digital form or is it a book?

Book. I have yet to see it in digital form, but it would be a blessing to the body of Christ if this work could be brought into the 21st century.

Beza, Theodore. Beza´s Icones; Contemporary Portraits of Reformers of Religion and Letters. 1909. 300 pp. Notable for its woodcut portraits of all the main Protestant Reformers, with biographies. 1546. $30.

Source: http://members.aol.com/goodbooks7/Calvinism.htm

That picture of Whinthrop always reminds me of the Phantom of the Opera. And what is it with Goodwin and that Mitre he wears. Webmaster looks alot like Turretin.:D

Blade;

If you must use an Olsteen as your avatar, at least use his wife Victoria!:p

joel_victoria.jpg

Every "sermon" I have ever heard by Olsteen has been "health and wealth" garbage. Isn't Lakewood almost the largest (if not already) church in America?

It will be if it isn't now! They bought a former NBA basketball stadium.

And you're right, Olsteen never mentions sin, and he's proud of that!

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Raise your hand if you never heard of Hansard Knollys before today? :D

(Raised hand)

A signer of the Second London Baptist Confession of Faith - his was the first name signed to the 1689 Confession. A notable Particular Baptist who was born in England, came to the colonies to preach, and then returned to found a church in the UK.

I am shocked and amazed that you missed him.....but not really since most hands raised are probably from non-Baptists, or former Baptists who were not reformed when they were Baptists!

:bigsmile:

Originally posted by pastorway
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Raise your hand if you never heard of Hansard Knollys before today? :D

(Raised hand)

A signer of the Second London Baptist Confession of Faith - his was the first name signed to the 1689 Confession. A notable Particular Baptist who was born in England, came to the colonies to preach, and then returned to found a church in the UK.

I am shocked and amazed that you missed him.....but not really since most hands raised are probably from non-Baptists, or former Baptists who were not reformed when they were Baptists!

:bigsmile:

Point taken. I am more well-grounded in Presbyterian history than Baptist, I don't mind saying. :D

The article I found on him noted that Cotton Mather considered him to be an antinomian. However, it didn't say anything about the Baptist Confession so I missed that until you mentioned it. Ah, well! That's good to know, thanks!

http://www.famousamericans.net/hansardknollys/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back