Piper/Desiring God believe that all infants........

Status
Not open for further replies.
In L 18:15, the Greek used is Brephos, in verse 16, it is paidion. The children that were brought, whether infant or young child, were covenant children. It was not Gentile children.

Paidion:

G3813
παιδιÌον
paidion
pahee-dee'-on
Neuter diminutive of G3816; a childling (of either sex), that is, (properly) an infant, or (by extension) a half grown boy or girl; figuratively an immature Christian: - (little, young) child, damsel.

G1025
βÏεÌφος
brephos
bref'-os
Of uncertain affinity; an infant (properly unborn) literally or figuratively: - babe, (young) child, infant.

Could Jesus touch a gentile?

Originally posted by JohnV
Originally posted by Peter
There is one way to heaven: faith Eph 2:8 Infants do not get a free pass

God is glorified in sending babies to hell. First, babies fell with Adam in his first transgression. They are all guilty of original sin. Second, all babies that have the capacity to sin do commit actual sin. Even pre-born fetuses early in a woman's pregnancy have a brain* and can think, so they can think sinful thoughts no matter how simple and relatively benign. Remember, David said that he sinned while his body was formed within his mothers womb Ps 51 and the soul that sins shall die. However, God does regenerate babies and consequently they do have faith. Just because they cannot profess it doesn't mean they dont possess it.

In the Dutch forms for baptism it says that children are "conceived and born in sin". This comes directly from Scripture; Psalm 51. The question is not whether there is sufficient grounds to condemn children. The question is whether Christ's covenantal atonement is for them. I think this is not in our hands, nor within our scope to know. We can only draw comfort from the fact that our children who die in infancy do die in the promises, not outside it. So there is a hope for the parents left behind that their child is safe in the arms of Jesus. But it is more than a hope, as it is an assurance as well that, if Christ made such promises to the parents, that He will not break them.

They are not saved based on foreseen faith, but on the basis of election. Take that away, and it is all just wishful thinking.

This post was a response to the Piper and MacAuthor quotes which said that babies cannot go to hell because they cannot see the revelation of God's will.

Originally posted by JohnV
There is one way to heaven: faith Eph 2:8 Infants do not get a free pass

God is glorified in sending babies to hell. First, babies fell with Adam in his first transgression. They are all guilty of original sin. Second, all babies that have the capacity to sin do commit actual sin. Even pre-born fetuses early in a woman's pregnancy have a brain* and can think, so they can think sinful thoughts no matter how simple and relatively benign. Remember, David said that he sinned while his body was formed within his mothers womb Ps 51 and the soul that sins shall die. However, God does regenerate babies and consequently they do have faith. Just because they cannot profess it doesn't mean they dont possess it.

In the Dutch forms for baptism it says that children are "conceived and born in sin". This comes directly from Scripture; Psalm 51. The question is not whether there is sufficient grounds to condemn children. The question is whether Christ's covenantal atonement is for them. I think this is not in our hands, nor within our scope to know. We can only draw comfort from the fact that our children who die in infancy do die in the promises, not outside it. So there is a hope for the parents left behind that their child is safe in the arms of Jesus. But it is more than a hope, as it is an assurance as well that, if Christ made such promises to the parents, that He will not break them.

They are not saved based on foreseen faith, but on the basis of election. Take that away, and it is all just wishful thinking.

This post was a response to the Piper and MacAuthor quotes which said that babies cannot go to hell because they cannot see the revelation of God's will.

Sorry, Peter. I failed to say that I was not disagreeing, but expanding on your thought. Leaving that out, as I see now (with thanks), makes it appear different. My apologies.

Strong's Number: 3813 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
paidivon from dimin. of (3816)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Paidion 5:636,759
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
pahee-dee'-on Noun Neuter

Definition
a young child, a little boy, a little girl
infants
children, little ones
an infant
of a (male) child just recently born
of a more advanced child; of a mature child;
metaph. children (like children) in intellect

This does not mean - or imply - that they were not infants or that they were circumcised.

[Edited on 11-20-2005 by jdlongmire]

Originally posted by jdlongmire
where does it say they were covenant infants?

Christ was constantly surrounded by "sinners" [Gentiles]

Mark 2:15
And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him.

Matthew 9:13
Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

Matthew 26:45
Then he came to the disciples and said to them, "Sleep and take your rest later on. See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

Romans 5:19
For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.

So.........sinners=gentiles???? oh my.

Thank you for the dialog.

you are welcome - the term sinners can certainly be applied inclusively to Gentiles or the uncircumcised

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
The reformed position is that there are some elect infants and there are some reprobate.

Are you deducing this from inferences, Scott, or is there some Reformed confession or systematic theology positively asserting that there are some reprobate infants?

Calvin seems to suggest that any person asserting such a thing as fact was guilty of blasphemy: "to say that the countless mortals taken from life while yet infants are precipitated from their mothers' arms into eternal death is a blasphemy to be universally detested." The Princetonians agree with the magisterial reformer on this point. It appears Piper is agreeing as well. I know of several examples of Reformed folks who have said this is a dark and mysterious subject upon which we cannot know and I believe the WCF's statement is the safest one to make, but I am not aware of any who have gone so far as you to say that it is their position that there are some reprobate infants. Yet, you say above that this is the Reformed position. You then suggest the Egyptian infants are in hell. Am I misunderstanding you? If not, I'd like to know where you think this position is set forth as the Reformed position.

Lawrence,
I'm using Esword and BibleWorks5. Esword uses the Strongs definitions.

Doulos,
I am using the WCF and LBC; both assert that elect infants dying in infancy are saved via Christ; not all infants.

III. Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ, through the Spirit,[12] who worketh when, and where, and how hepleaseth:[13] so also are all other elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.[14]

12. Gen. 17:7; Luke 1:15; 18:15-16; Acts 2:39; John 3:3, 5; I John 5:12
13. John 3:8
14. John 16:7-8; I John 5:12; Acts 4:12

The assertion, taken to it's conclusion implies that if there are elect infants, there as well MUST be reprobate/non elect ones as well.

I disagree w/ Calvin on the point you cite; he is pushing the envelope.

He is much clearer below.
John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion.

"...Original sin, then, may be defined a hereditary corruption and depravity of our nature, extending to all the parts of the soul, which first makes us obnoxious to the wrath of God, and then produces in us works which in Scripture are termed works of the flesh...The two things, therefore, are to be distinctly observed, viz., that being thus perverted and corrupted in all the parts of our nature, we are, merely on account of such corruption, deservedly condemned by God, to whom nothing is acceptable but righteousness, innocence, and purity...Hence Augustine, though he often terms it another´s sin (that he may more clearly show how it comes to us by descent), at the same time asserts that it is each individual´s own sin. And the Apostle most distinctly testifies, that "œdeath passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" (Romans 5:12); that is, are involved in original sin, and polluted by its stain. Hence, even infants bringing their condemnation with them from their mother´s womb, suffer not for another´s, but for their own defect. For although they have not yet produced the fruits of their own unrighteousness, they have the seed implanted in them. Nay, their whole nature is, as it were, a seed-bed of sin, and therefore cannot but be odious and abominable to God..." (2.1.8)

[Edited on 11-21-2005 by Scott Bushey]

the Second London Confession as amended by CH Spurgeon (the version our church adopted) says:

Infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit, Who works when, where, and how He pleases. So also are all elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.

I agree with Spurgeon's edit here and believe that the best book I have read on the topic is MacArthur's Safe in the Arms of God.

Otherwise, please excuse me as I have no desire whatsoever to enter this debate.

Phillip

If infants and others not capable of being called by the gospel are to be saved, they must be regenerated and sanctified immediately by God without the use of means. If God could create Adam holy without means, and if he can new-create believers in righteousness and true holiness by the use of means which a large part of men use without profit, he can certainly make infants and others regenerate without means. Indeed, the natural depravity of infants lies before moral action, in the judicial deprivation of the Holy Ghost. The evil is rectified at that stage, therefore, by the gracious restoration of the soul to its moral relation to the Spirit of God. The phrase "elect infants" is precise and fit for its purpose. It is not intended to suggest that there are any infants not elect, but simply to point out the facts -- (1.) That all infants are born under righteous condemnation; and (2.) That no infant has any claim in itself to salvation; and hence (3.) The salvation of each infant, precisely as the salvation of every adult, must have its absolute ground in the sovereign election of God. This would be just as true if all adults were elected, as it is now that only some adults are elected. It is, therefore, just as true, although we have good reason to believe that all infants are elected. The Confession adheres in this place accurately to the facts revealed. It is certainly revealed that none, either adult or infant, is saved except on the ground of a sovereign election; that is, all salvation for the human race is pure grace. It is not positively revealed that all infants are elect, but we are left, for many reasons, to indulge a highly probable hope that such is the fact. The Confession affirms what is certainly revealed, and leaves that which revelation has not decided to remain, without the suggestion of a positive opinion upon one side or the other.

http://www.rtrc.net/documents/wcf/hodge/wcfaah10.htm

Originally posted by pastorway
the Second London Confession as amended by CH Spurgeon (the version our church adopted) says:

Infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit, Who works when, where, and how He pleases. So also are all elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.

I agree with Spurgeon's edit here and believe that the best book I have read on the topic is MacArthur's Safe in the Arms of God.

Otherwise, please excuse me as I have no desire whatsoever to enter this debate.

Phillip

Phillip, you ARE as smart as you look! ;)

Originally posted by jdlongmire
If infants and others not capable of being called by the gospel are to be saved, they must be regenerated and sanctified immediately by God without the use of means. If God could create Adam holy without means, and if he can new-create believers in righteousness and true holiness by the use of means which a large part of men use without profit, he can certainly make infants and others regenerate without means. Indeed, the natural depravity of infants lies before moral action, in the judicial deprivation of the Holy Ghost. The evil is rectified at that stage, therefore, by the gracious restoration of the soul to its moral relation to the Spirit of God. The phrase "elect infants" is precise and fit for its purpose. It is not intended to suggest that there are any infants not elect, but simply to point out the facts -- (1.) That all infants are born under righteous condemnation; and (2.) That no infant has any claim in itself to salvation; and hence (3.) The salvation of each infant, precisely as the salvation of every adult, must have its absolute ground in the sovereign election of God. This would be just as true if all adults were elected, as it is now that only some adults are elected. It is, therefore, just as true, although we have good reason to believe that all infants are elected. The Confession adheres in this place accurately to the facts revealed. It is certainly revealed that none, either adult or infant, is saved except on the ground of a sovereign election; that is, all salvation for the human race is pure grace. It is not positively revealed that all infants are elect, but we are left, for many reasons, to indulge a highly probable hope that such is the fact. The Confession affirms what is certainly revealed, and leaves that which revelation has not decided to remain, without the suggestion of a positive opinion upon one side or the other.

http://www.rtrc.net/documents/wcf/hodge/wcfaah10.htm

Again,
this is speculation at best. What the scriptures do convey is that all ahev sinned and God punishes sin. The fact that it is Adamic, is irrelevent. The elective decree is limiting. No race or gender is above the doctrine, not even children.

As I have mentioned numerous times, one must then take this idea to it;s farthest conclusion: all muslim children, all the children in Noahs flood, the children of S & G, the native child who has never heard the gospel etc.

This is a form of universalism. The abortion premise is not absurd; one could guarantee more elections based upon this premise, and isn't ot better for someone to be in Heaven than hell? So lets abort children.

Originally posted by BaptistInCrisis
Originally posted by pastorway

Phillip

Phillip, you ARE as smart as you look! ;)

The 1689 LBC states:

3. Elect infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit; who worketh when, and where, and how he pleases; so also are all elect persons, who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.
( John 3:3, 5, 6; John 3:8 )

I've read the arguements before from both sides and still cannot see scripturally were the Bible teaches that infants who die are "automatically in." I see were the Bible teaches about the elect and the non-elect. Nowhere do I see an "age of accountability" or anything of the sort.

In fact, when I first became a believer and was reading Boettner's "The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination", I thought his belief on all that die in infancy being elect was inconsistant. The book was great except for that chapter.

I can see the arminians believing this since they believe that you make the choice in order to become saved but I can't understand how those who hold to the doctrines of total depravity, God's sovereignty, etc. hold this belief.

I believe the scriptures teach that in faith comes by hearing the word of God. Is there another way that I'm missing here? Isn't this what the Bible states? If this is the case, how can infants be saved that have not been under the hearing of the word? If God elects an individual, he also makes sure that they're spiritual eyes and ears are opened to hear the word. There are many individuals who die without ever hearing the gospel. This obviously shows that they were not elect. These are infants, children and adults. Where in scripture does it speak of an exception to this rule?

Originally posted by Scot
I've read the arguements before from both sides and still cannot see scripturally were the Bible teaches that infants who die are "automatically in." I see were the Bible teaches about the elect and the non-elect. Nowhere do I see an "age of accountability" or anything of the sort.

In fact, when I first became a believer and was reading Boettner's "The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination", I thought his belief on all that die in infancy being elect was inconsistant. The book was great except for that chapter.

I can see the arminians believing this since they believe that you make the choice in order to become saved but I can't understand how those who hold to the doctrines of total depravity, God's sovereignty, etc. hold this belief.

I believe the scriptures teach that in faith comes by hearing the word of God. Is there another way that I'm missing here? Isn't this what the Bible states? If this is the case, how can infants be saved that have not been under the hearing of the word? If God elects an individual, he also makes sure that they're spiritual eyes and ears are opened to hear the word. There are many individuals who die without ever hearing the gospel. This obviously shows that they were not elect. These are infants, children and adults. Where in scripture does it speak of an exception to this rule?

Dan,
God assuredly saves some infants; the elect one's. God does, by His wise council, goes to these infants and administers His word as he see's fit; it is mysterious tio a degree. However to assume God elects all infants dying in infancy is extra biblical and universalist.

[Edited on 11-21-2005 by Scott Bushey]

I preferred Larry's quotes of major Reformed thinkers to MacArthur's reasoning though I do like much of MacArthur's stuff. All of the Reformed quotes insisted that infants must be elect as the basis of their salvation. MacArthur appeals to an age of accountability which weakens the notion of imputed guilt from Adam.

I've got a 1.5 year old girl who definitely shows she is a descendant from Adam like her daddy. I praise God to be in Covenant with Him and to have faith that He is the God of my daughter so I can pray together with her when she disobeys God regularly though her defiance of parental authority. I view parenting through the eyes of faith but her wanton refusal to comply with instruction is stunning at times. Our three year old is a bit more verbal about it but the younger is more appropriate to the discussion because most would view a 1.5 year old as not having achieved any sort of "accountability" for their defiance as if it's some sort of animal response and they are unaware of their defiance. A parent knows that his 1.5 year old girl understands it beyond some animal response especially after he restores her with loving discipline and prays with her to ask God to forgive her for her sins.

I've refused, since this thread began, to be dogmatic except to say that elect infants are saved and none other without defining the extent of that population. From my initial post, I have always found these discussions to be speculative and not terribly edifying. I don't fall hard on any side except to preserve the idea that even infants need to be covered by the blood of Christ to be saved.

[Edited on 11-21-2005 by SemperFideles]

Rich,
I have children as well. I understand what you are saying. The argument is not based on the idea that God punishes infants but what Gods word supports. That is what flag I am planting. The topic in general is secondary.

I've refused, since this thread began, to be dogmatic except to say that elect infants are saved and none other without defining the extent of that population.

Rich - you are following Westminster's careful attention to this as int he statement above. That is why Westminster was SO careful not to place this passage:

"Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ, through the Spirit, who worketh when, and where, and how he pleaseth: so also are all other elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word."

- in the section entitled: The Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter X: Of Effectual Calling

AND NOT in the section: The Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter III: Of God's Eternal Decree

They are not making the same statement that you are not making. They are being careful.

It is true that many of the good Puritans believed ALL covenantal infants go to heaven. Some of them even believed ALL infants in general, from the flood, from Sodom, etc., were all saved. But most of the Puritans relied on arguing back from coveant to God's grace. In other words, presuming thier children were in covenant also presupposed God's gracious promises to them, and thus they argued they would be saved. Otherwise, its just a coin toss.

I would like to comment on this statement made by Piper:

"In other words, if a person lacks the natural capacity to see the revelation of God's will or God's glory then that person's sin would not remain-God would not bring the person into final judgment for not believing what he had no natural capacity to see."

This is utterly ludicrous according to the fallen condition of all in Adam. He is befuddling federal theology and representative theology in this way. Adam 1) had the natural capacity to see the revelation of God's will, 2) had the capacity to see God's glory, 3) was able to believe everything in relation to those things, and 4) transmitted either his belief of unbeleif to all his progeny. We know it was unbelief and the fall that now reigns in us. To say that people will not come into judgment for this is to deny a PIVITOL point in understanding Adam as our representative head.

[Edited on 11-21-2005 by webmaster]

***sigh***

Scott,

1. universalism is NOT what I am proposing - God discriminates - there is the Elect and the Reprobate - everyone will not be saved - I state this unequivocally - PLEASE quit casting that aspersion - it is insulting to me and a misuse of the term.

2. ALL children are not Elect - I propose that only infants that die in infancy and the mentally defective are Elect due to the fact that they do not become self-aware to the knowledge of good and evil and are incapable of violating the moral/spiritual law. Thus - to satisfy your need to confirm the condemnation of children to an Eternity of punishment - SOME - probably MOST - of the children of the Flood, etc are not Elect.

3. I am not stating that God MUST Elect them to be a Just and Loving God - I say that the nature of these folk and our understanding of the nature of God revealed in Christ leads me to this conclusion.

4. attempting reductio ad absurdum to this conclusion and proposing that this would justify abortion is foolish - God alone determines the disposition of His Creation - but the death of the unborn do serve a purpose to the Glory of God - they will be the voices of condemnation to the Reprobate and the chorus of all nations/races worshipping God at the Last judgment.

Addendum:

The nature of Adam's sin was not about his belief/unbelief - it was his desire to grasp equality with God - the very same sin of the Deceiver and the antithesis of the nature of Christ - the difference between the consequences of Adam's sin and the Evil One is that God has delayed His Just judgment of Adam and his progeny to glorify Himself and redeem His Elect through Jesus Christ.

The Elect are those that will blissfully embrace non posse peccatore and the absolute sovereignty of God Almighty for Eternity.

- pax -

[Edited on 11-21-2005 by jdlongmire]

[Edited on 11-21-2005 by jdlongmire]

What's the difference between a mentaly handicapped person and a normal man? are they not blinded spiritually by sin? both incapable of redemption unless given it by God's grace?

blade

Yes, please take the harshest position possible - make sure to emphasize the judgment of God over His Mercy and become an ineffectual instrument of the revelation of Christ to the Elect.

The good thing is - God will send someone that understands Love, Grace and Mercy to open their eyes to His salvation through Christ.

Praise be unto Him that His will is not dependant upon us!

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Dan,
God assuredly saves some infants; the elect one's. God does, by His wise council, goes to these infants and administers His word as he see's fit; it is mysterious tio a degree. However to assume God elects all infants dying in infancy is extra biblical and universalist.

:up: Agreed.

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
What's the difference between a mentaly handicapped person and a normal man? are they not blinded spiritually by sin? both incapable of redemption unless given it by God's grace?

blade

There is no difference spiritually. Our mental capacity has nothing to do with salvation (unless you take an arminian position that our decision is what saves us). I see no scripture that says God has elected all those who don't have the mental capacity to understand the gospel.

JD says,
Yes, please take the harshest position possible - make sure to emphasize the judgment of God over His Mercy and become an ineffectual instrument of the revelation of Christ to the Elect.

I'm confused why you would even suggest this? Did you not read where I said,

both incapable of redemption unless given it by God's grace?

So show me where I was emphasizing God's judgment more so than his grace!

Honestly if you think that then you would be putting forward the opposite over emphasizing God's mercy over his justice(as opposed to judgment as you were saying).

I think we somehow let are emotions overshadow truth for the sake of satisfying our emotions. It's not that we should'nt have mercy on those who are in mental or physical need.

It's over manipulating Biblical with our emotions like the charismatics do. I'm not accusing you of being a charismatic just trying to make a point.

People suffer mental or physical affirmities for whatever purpose God has in store. But because they have such does not exscuse any man of his spiritual state before a Holy God.

We were all born sinners. Normal healthy children and those who were not born healthy. I pray that God in his mercy would take those whom he predestined to be born such a way to Heaven with him. But I cannot say that he will without going against Scripture.

I apologize if I somehow offened you in anyway. I by no mean's want to offend anyone who has had children born with such disabilities I have worked with kids who have mental handicaps.

In Christ,
Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back