Pittsburgh Pirates "Faith Night"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty

Puritan Board Sophomore
The thread on the MLB playoffs got me thinking again about something I wanted to post awhile back, but never actually did.

The Pirates had been advertising something called "Faith Night" for a couple of weeks. They said fans could stay after the game and listen to players and coaches talk about the importance of faith in their careers and lives. I went with my wife, her brother and sister, and a friend.

They held it August 1st, right after a 13-0 shellacking at the hand of the Cardinals (it's okay- the Bucs took 4 of the 5 games in the series).

Fans were invited down to four or five sections down near the field. Roughly 13 players, and 3 or 4 coaches came out and participated (I think that 3 or 4 players spoke, as well as Manager Clint Hurdle). Two-thirds of the starting lineup that night, including starting pitcher Charlie Morton, were on hand.

The best thing about it: it was unashamedly and distinctly Christian. I feared going in it would be some sort of wishy-washy talk, about faith in the general sense we often hear in our society. But I was wrong. The name of God was glorified as players and coaches shared their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I had to pinch myself because it felt really odd to be hearing these things while at the ballpark.

All in all it was a really cool experience and encouraging to know that the team is full of believers.

The former marketing director of the Pirates had tried to get something like this going 6 or 7 years ago and asked local churches to meet with him (which I was glad to attend), but management (general and team) were not into it. Both Neil Huntington and Clint Hurdle are both Christian men (with an obvious blind spot when it comes to the 4th Commandment) and were interested in what he was trying to do. I am glad to hear it finally got off the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back