Plainness of Speach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iakobos_1071

Puritan Board Freshman
Here is a greek study :

II Corinthians 3:12 -- (speaking of spiritual) Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech --

* great - Greek: polus - much; often; plentious
* plainness - Greek: parhesia - outspokenness; bluntness;
* frankness; not to "beat around the bush" - from: pas - all or the whole and ereo - pour forth; say the command(ment) hence, "To tell all"

II Corinthian 2:14 - (Paul speaking) My speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom --

* enticing - Greek: peithos - persuasive; convince; pacify; conciliate

John 8:32 -- Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

* truth - Greek: alethia - from alethes meaning "not to conceal or hide anything"; in Greek truth means "the whole truth", not merely partial truth

Paul says that we are not to "beat around the bush". We are to speak so plainly that the meaning of what we are saying could not be misunderstood. We are not to speak with innuendo (hints, insinuation, or indirect remarks). The issues are eternal. We should not be seeking to pacify or persuade men. Paul said, "If I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ (Gal. 1:10)." We are to be blunt and to the point. "Plainness of speech" is offensive to unrepentant sinners and carnal Christians. Stephen, the first martyr of the church, was killed for his "plain words" (Acts 7:51-60). Paul was stoned and left for dead, at Lystra because of his bluntness (Acts 14:19-22). Paul says that "plain speech" results in persecution and affliction (I Tim. 3:12; I Thess. 1:6). The Pharisees hated the words of Christ (Mark 12:13; Luke 11:54; Luke: 20:20) and sought to kill him, time and again, for his "plainness of speech" (John 8:59; John 5:16). Few men will say truth plain enough to be persecuted for it. When we preach truth, we are to "uncover" all the facts. The Biblical definition of a lie is to tell part of the truth while "covering up" the most crucial issues. When we preach just enough to pacify the congregation and we intentionally leave out the part that cuts to the heart (Acts 2:37) and convicts for sin or if we refuse to address particular doctrines of scripture (avoiding them), then we lie (personal note: I have been guilty - God give me the strength never to do it again). It is not necessarily the words that come out of the mouth that lie, but, more often, the words that are hidden and concealed that do the evil deed. Jeremiah called this "stealing the words of God (Jer. 23:30)." Enticing words are called guile. Guile is a Greek word (dolos) that means to decoy or to speak by trickery. We are to lay aside all guile (enticing words - I Pet. 2:1). Paul referred to this deception as "good words and fair speeches" (Rom. 16:17,18). We are never to be "tactful" with the word of God. The word tact comes from the Greek word taxis (tactic) meaning a "regular arrangement" or "fixed succession". God said that his word will accomplish what he has spoken (Isaiah 55:11; Jer. 4:28) The word "spoken" is the Hebrew word dabar meaning an "orderly arrangement" by declaration. God's word is his tact (fixed ordered arrangement). We are to speak his word as plain as we can. Isaiah said that rebellious men do not want truth, but they love to be deceived. They say, "Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth (flattery) things, prophesy deceits (don't tell us the truth, deceive us, make us feel good - Isaiah 30:10). Men who are plain spoken (uncovering truth) are looked upon as bitter, angry, or fanatical. Paul spoke with great plainness to King Agrippa and was accused of being "loony". Festus said, "Paul, thou art beside thyself, much learning doth make thee mad (Acts 26:4)". What he said was, "Paul, you read the Bible too much -- you're crazy". At the end of time, evil men will become more intelligent, yet they will be unable to understand truth. They will be "ever learning and never be able to come to the knowledge of the truth (II Tim. 3:7; Dan. 12:4)." If we preach with words not easily understood (enticing words - guile), we make the cross of Christ of none effect (I Cor. 1:17, 14:9). Enticements and persuasive words are lies. They cover up "plainness of speech".

graceandtruth.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back